Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xDrive Coupe
Car in for battery cable recall + service, loaner 2013 328xi

So my car has been in the dealership's hands for care since yesterday to take care of the battery cable recall and the seatbelt arm guy that pushes the seatbelt forward for the passenger side. The car had to stay overnight since they had taken apart the trim and such for the passenger side to diagnose the issue with the seatbelt arm (I forget the formal term) and they had to order parts for it.

The dealership gave me a 2013 328xi sedan as a loaner and I gotta say, it's very nice. The interior is way better. I like the black interior with the silver brushed aluminum look and the red trim details/stitching around the cabin.

Driving impressions are a different story though. The turbo 4 has plenty of punch to it, but the car as a whole feels more isolated so it doesn't feel as fast as my 328 with the inline 6 does. The speedometer tells one story, but the butt dyno tells another, and the latter is what matters more from a pure experience perspective. The car was still more than capable of handling corners even though the suspension felt softer (which was very nice on Milwaukee's bumpy city streets compared to my car).

Another thing I didn't quite like though was how light the steering was. It's still very precise and offers plenty of feedback, but it feels too light and over-assisted.

The car is definitely a lot quieter though. Outside noise is blocked out very well and maybe my RFT tires are just worn a bit (at least at the front, the rears have a nice amount of tread), but road noise is also kept to a minimum. It's an absolutely fantastic luxury car. The 4-cylinder hardly sounds inspiring though and if anything, I would have liked more turbo noise to at least make the thrashy 4-cylinder sound better in some way (I came from a VW with a turbo 4 that I thought sounded pretty good, but no one does it better than Subaru with their turbocharged boxers if you ask me, different engine configuration, I know).

That said, I'm pretty excited to get my 2009 328 back! I'd happily consider the new 328 as a replacement if I needed to, or even as an additional car if I really need one (the fiancee might in the next year or two) but my car is just fine.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post my opinions, haha. Curious to know if any E9x owners have had similar experiences/opinions of the newer F3x cars with the turbo mill.

Last edited by norsairius; 03-28-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive
I am in a similar boat - with a 2013 328xi loaner replacing my 2009 328xi (although for different reasons). I could not agree more with your assessment - I know on paper and from driving both cars that the turbo 4 is technically a faster car. However, the car feels slower, it does not feel as responsive and the steering feels very very muted.

I just purchased my CPO a couple of weeks ago and at the time I test drove both as I was considering a lease of the 2013 versus an outright purchase of the 2009 CPO. After the back to back comparison my mind was instantly made up - it was the E90 hands down for me.

That being said - the 4 cylinder turbo is impressive - I just prefer the inline 6.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: NA
I would be going in monday for the exact reasons
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi Coupe
I also just had my 2008 328xi coupe in for oil change and the battery cable recall. I had a 2013 328xi 4door loaner with the turbo 4 banger and 8 speed auto. Since I am used to my 6 speed manual, that was the first downer for me. But compared to my car, the loaner had steering that was too light and the turbo 4, althought powerful, was totally unsatisfying. It seems very busy as the auto is constantly shifting up and down through every gear. My car seems much more long legged, and the seductively smooth inline six is really missed. The four is more rough and noisy, even at idle, and from standing outside the front of the car it sounds like a thrashing machine. I do not like the interior of the new car. It seems too busy with too many changing shapes and angles. I prefer the classic elegance of my car. In all, it is not a fitting motor for a car of this class and price. It will be interesting to see what motor they put in the coupes when they redo the coupes. If they do not offer the non-turbo six as standard, I think they will be turning off the type of buyer that would go for the coupes.
BTW, I could not find the turbo under the very crowded hood of the 4 cylinder car. I wonder where they hid it.