Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 04 530i, 03 X5 4.4i
Limp mode + codes that make no sense... help!

Hi guys,

I've been chasing this issue on my 2004 530i (98K miles) for over 8-months now and I can't figure it out. And now the problem is starting to get worse.

I've had the common "increased emissions" check engine light on for a long time. The only codes I would get were a strange:

2750 - Electronic Throttle Control Sticking
2751 - Electronic Throttle Control Permanently sticking

The car ran and drove fine for months and months.

Then all of the sudden the car has been going into limp mode. When that happens I get the "Engine Fault! Reduce power" alert, and a cruise control alert, an Active Steering fault, and a "drive control sys! Drive moderately" warning.

And then, this is where it gets really weird: one of my angel eyes went out and I got a parking light failure, yet the bulb is fine and goes back on after a battery reset.

After it goes into limp mode for a 2nd time last night, I scanned it I got these additional faults:
2752 Electronic throttle control hard movement
27A1 Electronic throttle control Start Check
2796 Electronic throttle control adaptation wrong.

This has happened twice and after leaving the car off, it resets itself and is fine for a few more weeks. Runs great. No issues. Then I get a lagging throttle and minutes later it goes into limp mode.

So I get it, it's the electronic throttle control. But after doing search upon search, I haven't found anyone who's had this issue on an E60. Is the electronic throttle control the drive by wire controller in the gas pedal? Or is it referring to the control motor at the engine? I know it needs to be replaced, but what part is it referring to? I looked on RealOEM and can't find a corresponding part.

And why the heck am I getting cruise control and active steering faults and a non-working parking light warning at the same time that goes away right after?

Also: I changed the battery thinking that because these cars are sensitive to voltage it might have been a tired battery, but it changed nothing. Same thing happened again. Also changed the DISA valve, but totally unrelated I think.

Anybody have any insights?
Ads by Google
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Don't give up too easy on the battery as part of the problem. Actually seems to me you have multiple issues here that may not be related.

Just because you changed the battery may not be good enough. You need to double check that it is in fact fully charged, that it is a good battery, that the charging system is charging it, that there is no parasitic drain on it from another malfunctioning system, and so on.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM

Thanks NoQuarter,

I'll give the battery another look... because all the crazy errors would point to the battery, but I'm pretty sure my charging system is good. Here's why:

The old battery was installed and married to the car just before I bought it last year, so it's just over 12 months old according to the records. I know these cars are sensitive with the charge, and I know sometimes a battery might not last a year if there are other issues, but I'm getting a good charge at the alternator. And just to be safe I replaced the old battery with a brand new one to completely rule out the battery, which was not cheap, but I'm still having the same issues.

When I replaced the new battery all the codes went away, the CEL went away, everything was great. I thought great I fixed it!

But then it happened to me again trying to take my son to school.

Maybe it's not the battery or the alt but the IBS cable? Could what I'm experiencing be caused by a bad "Intelligent Battery System" cable?

I have a new throttle body that should be coming in today which is my best guess to what the diagnostics might be referring to as a "Electronic Throttle Control" but I'm just guessing here.

After a new throttle body... I'm out of ideas.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM

One more thing to add: I pulled both the old and new batteries out of the car and had them load tested at O'Rileys and both batteries checked out as good. I want to check the battery off the list of culprits, but who knows.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
not sure what it is called... but maybe something up with the steering wheel mechanism thats connects all the buttons and switches network to the car network. Seems like I have read about something needing replaced in there for a few people. Cruise and active steering could be related to something like that.

good work on really putting in the effort to rule out the battery.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
I had a lot of errors and what supposedly went wrong was the alternator and voltage regulator weren't sending consistent voltage to the car's many computers. This brown out caused many problems.

So the dealer replaced the alternator and voltage regulator and the battery, and I've not seen the same problems since!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Ok, just replaced the throttle body and cleaned out the ICV while I was in there. Plugged the battery back in and it started right up. I got the active steering fault again, but I simply did the hard left then hard right then restarted the motor and it cleared. As mentioned before, there might be more than one issue here, so I'll start poking around for loose connections as was mentioned. From what I've researched though, the active steering seems to be finicky on these cars with a lot of errors that just go away. Hopefully mine isn't a bigger issue.

I've been driving it all afternoon and I have now have no codes and seems to be running much better. Acceleration is "crisper" and not feeling any hesitations.

I did some research on some of the 3-series boards and I saw one post where a gentleman was getting the same "electronic throttle control sticking" error and it was his throttle body.

I'll continue to drive it as much as possible to make sure that it's ok. It'll take a while before I have confidence in it again though.

Replacing the throttle body wasn't too bad of a job. Three hours and two beers. Fingers crossed that was the issue. In the meantime, if anyone has any other theories, let me know. This was an intermittent yet debilitating issue in the past, and while I think I got it solved, you never know.