Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i xdrive
Delivery!

I finally took delivery of my new 3 on Tuesday. Even though the wait got a little tough toward the end, I'm so glad I ordered (7.5 weeks, so not bad...Munich build). The experience was pretty special. I want to thank everyone who posts on this board for helping me learn so much. This is my first BMW.

Specs:
2013 335i xdrive
Automatic
Luxury line
Sapphire black
Saddle interior
Walnut trim
Dynamic Handling Pkg
Tech Pkg
Premium Pkg
Driver Assistance Pkg
HK
Heated front seats

So far I'm completely blown away. I've read so much about others who came from a prior 3 and those comparisons, but the experience is very different for me because I came from a Honda Pilot (which was actually a little hard to say goodbye to due to all of the memories). I'm still getting used to all of the tech stuff and have a ways to go to be an expert on it, but have been having fun trying the different driving modes. I'm trying to learn to ignore ASS, but I'm finding myself shutting it off even though I thought beforehand I might not mind it. It's annoying in stop-and-go traffic. I'd rather go ECO and turn ASS off on my commute.

I haven't noticed any issues yet, like those I've read about. I might be less sensitive to everything having come from an SUV, though. I have been really impressed with the seats. I have read so much about the non-sport seats being lousy and the leather being so poor. I actually really like them a lot. I find them extremely comfortable. Also, I LOVE the saddle. I never saw it in person before ordering, but saw pics and knew it's what I wanted. That's what pushed me to the luxury line, but, i truly love the luxury line and the different accents. I'm going to keep this car for a long time and I feel like the combinations I chose will be something I'll really enjoy for the long term.

I used all of the buying tips from this forum (bmwconfig, emailing build request to multiple dealerships, etc.). I got everything for $335 over invoice (i know others have done better), but also got a lot more for my trade than i was expecting. I tried many Massachusetts dealers and then one in RI and one in NH (Tulley). I went with Tulley and I truly can't recommend them enough. Great experience. My CA (Andrew Donaghue) was fantastic.

I'll try to post pics at some point, but the only digital camera i've got is my iphone and i'm not sure how great those will be. I'll give it a shot.

So thank you again to everyone. I'm so happy to be part of the BMW family and member of this forum.
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Awesome! Truly happy for you.

I also think some people on these forums are a bit spoiled. The regular BMW seats are awesome when compared to most other car brands. Sure, the sport seats are better by most standards, but compared to something like a Honda, the regular BMW seats are a huge improvement. I know from experience - before falling in love with BMW I drove Nissans for over a decade. Those cars were great...but BMW is just in a totally different category.

Welcome to the family!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Nice. Excellent choices!

The regular seats are fantastic. I'm one of the few that is critical of the sport seats. I am starting to appreciate them better, but I still don't like the way the side bolster on the seat seems to dig into my left leg. Honestly, I feel as if I am too big for them, and I'm only 5'10" 175 lbs. I guess it's the way I sit. Everything else about them is fine.

Last edited by krash; 03-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
pics or it didn't happen

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Congratulations on your new car! I too came from an SUV to the 3 Series, so I also find the handling very good, even without Sport suspension, guess it's all relative to what one is used to. Same with the seats, I find them very comfortable, never get any backache and don't find myself making constant adjustments to my setting, this to me is the sign of good seats.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Congrats!

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Congratulations on your new car! I too came from an SUV to the 3 Series, so I also find the handling very good, even without Sport suspension, guess it's all relative to what one is used to. Same with the seats, I find them very comfortable, never get any backache and don't find myself making constant adjustments to my setting, this to me is the sign of good seats.
You're right. it's all relative. If you're coming from an SUV, the regular suspension is going to feel really tight and really sporty. It's a lot tighter than most cars out there. It's just that most BMW enthusiasts like it even tighter and firmer than that. That's why the sport suspension and DHP are so popular on the 'Fest. I drive in comfort mode a lot, and it's much tighter and much sportier than my wife's SUV. Sport mode is really awesome though...

Last edited by krash; 03-28-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 335 luxury line
Congrats wvubabo! I'm waiting on delivery for almost the same exact car, dealer is telling me between april 7-10. I'm the same as you - haven't seen the saddle leather in person, but took the plunge.

Post pictures when you get a chance!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I'm one of the few that is critical of the sport seats. I am starting to appreciate them better, but I still don't like the way the side bolster on the seat seems to dig into my left leg. Honestly, I feel as if I am too big for them, and I'm only 5'10" 175 lbs. I guess it's the way I sit. Everything else about them is fine.
One thing I discovered about BMW sport seats in my 5-series is, they want you to sit low. Most cars now have a relatively high seating position. When I first got my BMW, I just couldn't get comfortable. Took me months, then I realized if I lowered the seat and moved the steering closer so I was in the "race position" - arms bent rather than straight out - the seats were amazingly comfortable.

Basically it seems like they want you to sit like The Stig on Top Gear - low and not too far from the steering.

Go to 00:37 and 00:57.

Edit: note how he is looking out over the top of the wheel and his elbows are at about 90-110 degrees. When I went to that position, all my various discomforts went away. My back is flat against the back rest, so no shoulder stress. My knees are up a little, so less pressure from the bolsters and at the thigh.

Last edited by HokieXDriver; 03-31-2013 at 11:18 AM.