Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
HUD is not visable or even usable except at night. Sunglasses block it as they are polarized.
I don't have that issue at all. I see HUD every day and it is awesome for navigation.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 PM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
2014 X3 Package Dilemma

Quote:
HUD is not visable or even usable except at night. Sunglasses block it as they are polarized.
Make sure you've set brightness properly. It's fine here even in direct bright sunlight. No issues at all with visibility.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3
None of the BMW HUD displays are visible in daylight with a good pair of sunglasses......with polarized filtering, the HUD reflection off the windshield is blocked as it is off axis.

Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-20-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
None of the BMW HUD displays are visiable in daylight with a good pair of sunglasses......with polarized filtering, the HUD reflection off the windshield is blocked as it is off axis.
Yes. You'll need non-polarizing sunglasses (I have a special pair for driving that are not polarized for this purpose).

It's really not a huge deal, but my wife doesn't like the HUD - she thinks it's too distracting. I love it. Thank god for separate profiles
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Once you drive with a good pair of driving glasses with polarization eliminating all the glare off the hood and dash , wouldn't want to be without them. The HUD is nice at night.

Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Quote:
Once you drive with a good pair of driving glasses with polarization eliminating all the glare off the hood and dash , wouldn't want to be without them. The HUD is nice at night.
Agree. I love my polarized sunglasses. If I want to see the HUD display I tilt my head slightly to the right or left.

As for bright sunlight, without the polarized sunglasses, the HUD display seems unaffected. Still bright and clear even in direct sunlight.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 M-sport
2014 X3 Package Dilemma

I usually keep my HUD off in daytime while wearing my polarized glasses. I just look at the display below the tachometer.

I always thought the rotation option in HUD settings was to compensate for polarized glasses. All I could do with the settings was rotate the display on HUD by maybe 1-2 degrees.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 14 x335i, 12 S4
Hi, new member, wife is just comming out of an 11 x5d and just ordered a 14 x3 35i with Tech, Premium, CWP, Stereo Upgrade, Top View...this is her car, i drive a 12 S4 and while i really want to add DHP to her x3 (its killing me), it's not mine and she doesnt really care about DHP as her x5 didnt have it.

Few questions to help me decide on DHP:

1. How does it do in the snow with Performance Control adding more rear wheel bias? Worse or no issue? Just moved to MA from AZ so easy to drive in Snow is important so she doesnt decorate it in the trees.
2. She cares about smooth ride/comfort as a priority, she had no issue with the non DHP during the test ride. For those with experience with both DHP and Non DHP, is the comfort mode that much more comfortable than the standard suspension...eg potholes,...also overall handling wise is non DHP that bad? eg it's still a BMW, and have to assume the x3 with more modern chassis will handle better than an 11 x5d in any event?

Of couse all of us "fast guys" lol i commute in my car 98% of the time so it doesnt really matter, want DHP, but from a wife's perspective does it really matter for "comfort" perspective only?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 545i and m3
Dhp

Order it she doesn't have to use it. I HAVE IT ON MY NEW X3 NICE.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftyswifty View Post
Uhh, I couldn't disagree more about Top View. LDW is gee whiz, but Top View is an incredible feature. Every car should have this--I just wish it showed the front of the car as well.

As for the Dynamic Handling Package, I have no idea why you didn't order it either, because it's probably my favorite feature on mine.
I agree with you 100% on TopView. I have it on my current X5 and I am not sure I would buy a car that didn't have it. I always used to suck at parallel parking but not anymore with Top View. I also use it every time I park in my garage space (which I have to back into).

I also would always get the Nav. I could use my iPhone but it requires to much attention from me so I typically just sent the destination from the phone to the car Nav (another awesome feature). Also have a Garmin which I hate.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiachino View Post
2. She cares about smooth ride/comfort as a priority, she had no issue with the non DHP during the test ride. For those with experience with both DHP and Non DHP, is the comfort mode that much more comfortable than the standard suspension...eg potholes,...also overall handling wise is non DHP that bad? eg it's still a BMW, and have to assume the x3 with more modern chassis will handle better than an 11 x5d in any event?
If you do not have DHP, then the vehicle has a suspension system that is not variable. Your suspension is the same in COMFORT, ECO PRO and SPORT. The only thing the Driving Experience Switch does in a non-DHP vehicle is to change the transmission shift program and acceleration program. For example, in SPORT, the transmission is held in lower gears to a higher engine speed (RPM) and the response to accelerator pedal input is immediate.

In a DHP vehicle (from 2013 Owners Manual)
Dynamic Damping Control (one of the features of the Dynamic Handling Package)

The concept
This system reduces undesirable vehicle motion when using a dynamic driving style or traveling on uneven road surfaces. The system enhances driving dynamics and comfort as required for the road surface and driving style.

Programs
The system offers two different programs. The programs can be selected via the Driving Experience Switch, refer to page 105.

SPORT
Consistently sporty control of the shock absorbers for greater driving agility.

SPORT+
Consistently sporty control of the shock absorbers for greater driving agility when driving with limited driving stabilization.

COMFORT / ECO PRO
Balanced control of the vehicle.

Also, with DHP there are settings in the iDrive to configure the SPORT mode.

Note: The "limited driving stabilization" of the SPORT+ can be achieved in a non-DHP vegicle by using the DSC:
Deactivating DSC: DSC OFF
When DSC is deactivated, driving stability is reduced during acceleration and when driving in bends. To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC again as soon as possible.

Deactivating DSC
Press and hold the button, but not longer than approx. 10 seconds, until the indicator lamp for DSC OFF lights up in the instrument
cluster and DSC OFF is displayed. The DSC system is switched off.

Activating DSC
Press the button. DSC OFF and the DSC OFF indicator lamp go out.

I have had my non-DHP 2014 X3 out on the track at a BMW Performance Driving School and it is quite competent when set to SPORT, Manual Shift and DSC OFF (you can get a little rear end drift). I am sure 19" tires and a properly tuned SPORT setting in DHP optioned vehicle would have been better, but what I have works for me and after the school I know how to drive it.

No matter how it is optioned, you will have a great vehicle!

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 11-10-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35M Sapphire/Black
2014 X3 Package Dilemma

It is possible to add the top view option post delivery? I was not aware of it when I got my 2014 x3 3.5. Fully loaded otherwise. Can dealer change the side mirrors and connect to the system?

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: X3 M-sport
@ Jgiachino - I would agree with the DHP mode. 99% of the time, I would drive in comfort mode anyway but for the 1% of time when I need the sporty suspension - I'm glad to know that I've got DHP. I agree with what Liverman said above with DHP. In addition, I think the DHP package also gives variable steering control. I swear there is a 100% difference b/w driving a DHP vs non-DHP steering. I would never go back to a regular steering again.

@Brighty - not sure if this can be done. I've heard other have the same buyers remorse on other forums. Top view is the best feature of the car.