Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: x3
New to BMW and buying an x3

I am new to BMW and new to car buying - we have been a carless family for 8 years, but I am looking at getting an X3 28i. I test drove it this morning and loved it. I only need pretty basic options - rear camera and navigation. Money is a big factor, so I was looking at the 2016s while the 2017 are coming out. It seems like when I search the dealerships websites around me though (DC), all of the 2016s are loaded with all the packages and the price tag. Any suggestions for how to maximize my options? Is it crazy to hope to get one for under 40k?
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
For $40,000, you should be looking at dealer demos, they are usually basic. You can also order the X3 with the exact options you want.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
For $40,000, you should be looking at dealer demos, they are usually basic. You can also order the X3 with the exact options you want.
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at ordering with the exact options - the MSRP is about $45k. I know I could get lower than that, but still a little more than I wanted to spend. Is there a way to find dealer demos? I'm looking at all the used cars from the local dealerships, and I am not seeing anything basic.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Have you considered looking at other brands? Acura RDX is about the same size and for $40k you can get a loaded one. Was there something specific you like about the x3?

Just curious
Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Have you considered looking at other brands? Acura RDX is about the same size and for $40k you can get a loaded one. Was there something specific you like about the x3?

Just curious
I drove the RDX yesterday as well. I liked the overall feel and the navigation system on the x3 more. Do you think its unrealistic to try to get one under $40k?
Old 04-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkoala11 View Post
I drove the RDX yesterday as well. I liked the overall feel and the navigation system on the x3 more. Do you think its unrealistic to try to get one under $40k?

Under $40k new, might be hard with the navigation and back up camera. Would you get leather? Would you consider used? Just my opinion but the additional tech in a car would make it that much more enjoyable to drive then a bare bones car.

If it was me and my limit was $40k. I would get a loaded RDX.

What changed in your life that you want a car now since you were careless for 8yrs? Which by the way is impressive of itself.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Under $40k new, might be hard with the navigation and back up camera. Would you get leather? Would you consider used? Just my opinion but the additional tech in a car would make it that much more enjoyable to drive then a bare bones car.

If it was me and my limit was $40k. I would get a loaded RDX.

What changed in your life that you want a car now since you were careless for 8yrs? Which by the way is impressive of itself.
So, I don't mind used. Does 2016 with under 10k miles count as used? I was looking at this one online, and it is close to my budget. http://bmwofrockvillemd.cms.dealer.c...4b43b6a246.htm I assume there is room to negotiate in the online advertised prices?

We are moving. We have lived downtown, walked to work/grocery shopping/etc, but are moving out to the suburbs and need a car. It will be a big change!
Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
I got mine used. GREAT deals on used cars, especially dealer loaners or demos or leases, so-called program cars. You'll get a lot more options that way than buying new for less money. If you're careful and/or lucky you will still have time left on the original warranty or have an extended warranty.

You can check the dealers of course but I've bought 2 cars from Carmax with good luck. WYSIWYG. No bargaining on price.

I've had mine for over a year and still LOVE IT. The most practical car for my needs and really fun to drive. Not to diss other brands, but I would never consider the Acura or Lexus or Audi as a competitor performance-wise, at least compared to the 35i.

The only drawback IMO if buying used is cost of maintenance compared to other brands when out of warranty. BMW's are very reliable but have certain issues that are not cheap to fix. If you want absolute reliability, go with Honda or Acura or Lexus.

2011 BMW X3 i35 (current)
2003 Acura CL (current--son drives)
2012 Itasca Navion IQ with Mercedes engine (current)
2012 Subaru WRX Premium (retired)
2004 BMW Z4 3.0 (retired)
2005 Honda CR-V (retired)
2003 Honda Accord Coupe (retired)
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5 (retired-)
1986 Saab 900 (retired)
1985 Audi 80 (retired)
1977 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback (retired)

Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 04-19-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 Xdrive28i
Quote:

Just curious
2nd gen Acura RDX is a POS. I dumped a 13' tech FWD model to get my 14' X3 28i and I couldnt be happier with that decision
Old 04-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkoala11 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at ordering with the exact options - the MSRP is about $45k. I know I could get lower than that, but still a little more than I wanted to spend. Is there a way to find dealer demos? I'm looking at all the used cars from the local dealerships, and I am not seeing anything basic.
Private message sent with some 2016 X3s for your consideration offered under $40K.

Last edited by mikeglenn; 04-20-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:10 AM

One additional option to consider is the lighting package if you will drive after dark. Several X3 owners have reported they were disappointed with the standard halogen headlights and wished they had gotten the upgrade to the Xenon headlights in the lighting package.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=862812

A BMW X3 xDrive 28i with Navigation, driver assistance and the lighting package has an MSRP of about $46K. You would need to negotiate a deal a couple thousand dollars under invoice to reduce the price to $40K. This may be a challenge. Below is a link to a X3 in your area with these options as an example.

http://www.bmwofsilverspring.com/new...3157fa7819.htm

If you can find a BMW X3 28i sDrive and with the options you desire, a $40K negotiated price is more plausible, but such cars appear rare. A demonstrator or certified pre-owned X3 in your target price range may be easier to find.

Last edited by mikeglenn; 04-21-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 x35i M Sport
Incentives

It might be a little late for this reply, but if you keep checking bmwusa.com for local offers you can get yourself below invoice if you're willing to wait. We got our X5 in November for $3,000 under invoice because of two incentives we stacked. If you can wait, very good new deals exist and you can just custom order. If it's been 8 years without a car, why not get EXACTLY what you want
Old 04-24-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhshockey24 View Post
It might be a little late for this reply, but if you keep checking bmwusa.com for local offers you can get yourself below invoice if you're willing to wait. We got our X5 in November for $3,000 under invoice because of two incentives we stacked. If you can wait, very good new deals exist and you can just custom order. If it's been 8 years without a car, why not get EXACTLY what you want
It is difficult to predict whether future incentives will be as good or better than those in the past. One may always wait and hope for a better deal in the future and save money by not owning a car in the meantime. If you wait for the new G01 X3 to be introduced in about 16 months, there may be very good deals on 2017s but selection may be limited and meanwhile you are not enjoying use of your car. Also, ordering a 2017 to take advantage of announced incentives may present a timing challenge because of the time window for delivery to qualify for incentives before these expire.

You should also be aware that incentives on the X5 are often greater than on the X3. I believe the incentives from BMW last November were $1,000 less on the X3 than on the X5.

Again, if you order or purchase a 2017 you will lose the fourth year of maintenance on the 2016 and the maintenance on the 2017 will be subject to new exclusions, the lost value of which may total another $1,000.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search