Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35I
Bleeding the cooling system

Hi All,

I will be replacing the water pump and thermostat due to an overheating issue I started having. I found a great DIY which details everything, the only issue is I cannot locate a bleed screw anywhere. Do we even have one? This is for a 35i BTW.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...7#post15632917
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
There is no bleed screw. There is a procedure for bleeding. I cant remember it exactly but it involves stomping the gas pedal to the floor (engine NOT running) and holding it there for a certain amount of time in order to trigger the electric coolant pump to go into a air bleed cycle.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35I
Ok thanks, the procedure you mentioned is detailed in the link. It involves turning the ignition on, turning on the heater with the blower low and pressing the gas pedal to the floor for 10 sec.

It also says to open the bleeder screw which is why I was inquiring.

Thanks again
Old 09-12-2015, 02:50 PM

There isnt a bleed screw on my 2012 35i. U just open the fill tank slowly to burp the air after that procedure.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I would like to bleed my system as well, not very clear about 2 things:

1. Shall I press the gas pedal all the way till I press the Kick-down? or before the Kick-down button?
2. Shall I keep the expansion tank cap closed all the time and open it at the end? or unscrew it a bit and let it vent out the air during the bleeding process from start to finish?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2016, 05:08 PM

do not open the expansion tank until the bleed procedure is completed. Full procedure details are in the attached pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf coolantbleed.pdf (204.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Thank you so much! really appreciate the PDF makes things very clear
Old 04-23-2016, 02:56 PM

A note about the bleed: when you turn the heater temperature all the way to maximum temp (highest setting), the water pump will automatically engage at a constant, high speed and will stay like that even after the bleed procedure is over as long as temp is set to max heat. So do not confuse that with the pump performing a bleed. When the pump is conducting the bleed procedure, the speed will cycle high and low (high pitch and low pitch whines). I would wait a full 15 minutes after engaging the bleed procedure before turning the heat back down and turning off the ignition. Also note that because the instructions say to fill the resevoir upto the lower edge of filler neck, you may end up with a fluid level above max. Be prepared to siphon out any excess fluid.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search