Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive
So my Car is in a thousand pieces

So I picked up my 2009 328i xdrive CPO a couple of weeks ago and there was a really annoying rattle, like something rolling around inside of the vehicle. I brought it back in and explained what I heard and the tech went for a drive with me and agreed. They finally found the cause of the rattle - which is great - but when I saw the car yesterday I literally felt ill. THe entire front interior (dashboard and all) had been removed and the car is literally in a thousand pieces

So my concern is to fix a very annoying rattle, I may have made the entire car worse/how many rattles are going to exist from taking the car apart now? Basically I am looking for everyone here to tell me it will be alright - as I have developed quite the attachment to my new car

To their credit my local BMW dealership have been AMAZING and the tech working on it is VERY competent and confidence inspiring. They have agreed to cover all of the labour and have provided me a 2013 328Xi loaner until they put everything back together. Again I cannot say enough good things about my dealership - I am just afraid for my car, so please make me feel like everything will be alright

Last edited by Chillax; 03-29-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
it's going to cause more issues. should have just left well enough alone.

chris
Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 AM

If i had known they would have gone to this extreme I may have. But that rattle was really bad.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
the "tech" working on it probably took it as an opportunity to teach himself some cool new stuff, hey i have a chance to take apart this guys e90. nice!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
So I picked up my 2009 328i xdrive CPO a couple of weeks ago and there was a really annoying rattle, like something rolling around inside of the vehicle. I brought it back in and explained what I heard and the tech went for a drive with me and agreed. They finally found the cause of the rattle - which is great - but when I saw the car yesterday I literally felt ill. THe entire front interior (dashboard and all) had been removed and the car is literally in a thousand pieces

So....wha? What caused the rattle?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM

The previous owners kid (at least I hope it was a kid) shoved a tube of blistex in the heat vent that made its way into the heat box behind the dash. So the Dash had to come out along with the center console.

I just hope it works out - but I guess it is to late now.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
I would chill, Ax. The dealer should of handed you the Blistex, said they found the problem & will get your car to you as soon as it's ready. They should never have shown your the dis-assembly.

That said, dashboards are taken apart & put back together regularly. It's what they are paid to do. You will have no problem. g/l
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
I would chill, Ax. The dealer should of handed you the Blistex, said they found the problem & will get your car to you as soon as it's ready. They should never have shown your the dis-assembly.

That said, dashboards are taken apart & put back together regularly. It's what they are paid to do. You will have no problem. g/l
I saw that.
You've discovered the same reason patients aren't shown video of their prospective open heart surgery.
We regularly do this kind of work, and more (was the steering wheel and column out too?). Been doing it for 36 years now on all makes of cars. No need for rattles or squeaks when the job is done, and you couldn't tell by looking what had happened.
You want to worry? Worry about that thin piece of shrink tubing they're installing during the battery cable recall. Take a look at how close to a sheet metal screw end that un-fused battery cable could vibrate if the tech does a quick and dirty repair.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I saw that.
You've discovered the same reason patients aren't shown video of their prospective open heart surgery.
We regularly do this kind of work, and more (was the steering wheel and column out too?). Been doing it for 36 years now on all makes of cars. No need for rattles or squeaks when the job is done, and you couldn't tell by looking what had happened.
You want to worry? Worry about that thin piece of shrink tubing they're installing during the battery cable recall. Take a look at how close to a sheet metal screw end that un-fused battery cable could vibrate if the tech does a quick and dirty repair.
Extremely off-topic, but how come? I'm curious now.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Why the heartburn?? It's just a car. A car has lots of parts. Someone assembled those parts originally, and someone else can put them back together this time. There's no magic involved, just the need to do the work carefully. I've had the entire dash of more than one car disassembled and put it back together - never had a problem. Chill.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
Extremely off-topic, but how come? I'm curious now.
Well first of all they take a little electric chain saw to the middle of your rib cage. They they pry the ribs open...

It only gets more gruesome from there. I would prefer to see all of this and discuss it with my surgeon but I'm guessing it would repulse and terrify most people.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Awesome - thanks for the encouraging words. I realize it is just a car, but seeing it in that state freaked me out. I thought it would be a relatively easy fix - and it appears not so much.

As for them letting me see it - I asked/was curious - in retrospect I may avoid it in the future.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
My dad had his X5 dash taken out twice in the past few weeks. First time was to fix broken AC condenser. Second time was to fix heat which they broke during the first repair. I don't notice any difference in rattles of the dash. It feels as solid as ever.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Well first of all they take a little electric chain saw to the middle of your rib cage. They they pry the ribs open...

It only gets more gruesome from there. I would prefer to see all of this and discuss it with my surgeon but I'm guessing it would repulse and terrify most people.
Hah, yeah, I suppose that's true. I would prefer to see it too...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post

Then after they use the electric chain saw they use a surgical floor jack at Max setting to hold you open. Then they put on the hip waders...

OP, the fact is that they are doing this job right and not just trying to Mickey Mouse a cheap fix. Be glad.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Wagon E-91
Quote:
Then after they use the electric chain saw they use a surgical floor jack at Max setting to hold you open. Then they put on the hip waders...

OP, the fact is that they are doing this job right and not just trying to Mickey Mouse a cheap fix. Be glad.
Ha ha ha, you guys are good. Not too far off, however, I never saw hip waders in the OR.
I spent almost 40 years as a Medical Photographer in a couple teaching hospitals. I have photographed most every part of the human body from the outside in and the inside out. I have been in hundreds if not thousands of open heart cases. It's not something a prospective surgery patient should see. At least not before having it done. Most people are "repulsed" by the sight of blood. And there is a lot of blood to see in heart surgery.
A few years ago I had to have cataract surgery on my right eye. They cut open the side of the eye and inserted an ultrasound device which dissolves the OEM lens. Then they wash the eye and then insert a new man made lens. In a few days you are better than new. My problem was my blood pressure was getting a little too high during the surgery. I was awake during the whole procedure and said to the doc I didn't understand why as I had seen this done many times. He said it was because I DID know what was going on that caused it. Then we joked a bit and my BP came down. I suppose it might not be so bad if the patient was asleep.
Seeing you car in pieces is not good but, not quite like surgery.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
If i had known they would have gone to this extreme I may have. But that rattle was really bad.

Your car will be better off after the repair. Have some faith.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
I saw that.
I believe this is why Rolls-Royce dash boards (quite extraordinary) are build as one piece...no chance of squeeks or rattles.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Next they toss in two armadillos and get them REALLY angry...