Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM
New Guy

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Oil leak? No? Running over oil?

Question:

I was at my friends house when I went out to my car to drive off, however, I saw a small puddle of oil under the front driver wheel area, door jam area.

I get on my back and look and my entire wheel well (sp?) is soaked in oil, so it appeared to be, and it's all on the bottom side of my driver side.

In a panic, I get to a gas station, pop the hood and look up and down with a flash light to find a leak. Everything under teh engine is dry and looking up at it (from the bottom on my back) I cannot find a source of a leak. Oil levels are OK according to dash/computer check.

I'm still slightly nervous about this. 2 days ago, I took a nice drive and was speeding, 70mph or so and hit a little jump in the road, car could have got air bc when I went over the bump/hump I felt the impact of the car either going off the ground or losing a lot of weight in the upward rush before fully decompressing the suspension - so my first worry was I cracked something under the bay - but that was 48 horus ago and my drive way was bone dry.

Thus, I'm left with the only possibility that I could have drove thru some massive oil leak or stain...

Weird thing is, the back wheel is pretty clean so is the rear driver side bumper.

THe liquid smells and looks like oil; however, I'm not that smart with cars so I'm assuming it's oil.

Anyways, anybody ever seen this? Any ideas? Should I be worried? Where should I look?
Ads by Google
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Pictures. Check your oil. Go to garage. The best way to diagnose is to look at your car and we can't from our computers

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Pictures. Check your oil. Go to garage. The best way to diagnose is to look at your car and we can't from our computers
Understood - problem is, I had to clean it all off and then drive more to see if it was a constant leak; thus, pictures would not do much good now. Sorry, I should have snapped some with my phone.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 335i 09'
how are your power steering and brake fluid levels?? I believe they are both on the drivers side, especially the brake fluid res. it's right over the driver side wheel. Idk, just something else to look at. not saying that's what it is.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5450 View Post
how are your power steering and brake fluid levels?? I believe they are both on the drivers side, especially the brake fluid res. it's right over the driver side wheel. Idk, just something else to look at. not saying that's what it is.
Good call - both of those were a possibility if this is not oil; however, PS feels good and brakes didnt seem to lose any pressure (at the peddle - with my Honda my brakes went 'limp' after a torn line). Nor could I find an apparent leak or source behind the wheel housing.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Oil can come from engine, as well as the mechtronic sleeve. I highly recommend the mechanic

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Oil can come from engine, as well as the mechtronic sleeve. I highly recommend the mechanic

Updated: I have had the car parked at work all day. I went to go grab lunch and drove.

Nothing leaking, no smells nothing. I scanned my oil level, it's max.

Question: would my dash (yes, I've RTFM) indication lights show a loss or low level in PS or brake fluid? From what I gather, it should, but I just wanted to confirm with the vets.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 09 328xi, 31 Model A
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92josh View Post
... 2 days ago, I took a nice drive and was speeding, 70mph or so and hit a little jump in the road, car could have got air bc when I went over the bump/hump I felt the impact of the car either going off the ground or losing a lot of weight in the upward rush before fully decompressing the suspension...
Did you blow the strut?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
Did you blow the strut?
Well, indelicately phrased, but the first question that I had!
That strut contains nothing but air now.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
i would check for a blown shock. does that corner of the car seem bouncier?

take off the front wheel and see if the oil is coming from the strut.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 AM
New Guy

Another update. I cleaned the wheel and drove more. There was no oil/residue near the springs, strut, brakes or caliber. Just wheel well. And bottom of the underbody.

Again, I had NOTHING in my drive way. Only at my friends house. Since I cannot find anything else or any source nor continued leaks, I'm simply thinking I ran over a puddle at a gas station and it just kicked up under the car. All liquid levels are normal. No odd handling in performance/struts do not seems blow, car handles just as it did when I got it.

Shrugs.

I guess just paranoia.