Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
What Should I do

God day to you all.
Just wondering if some of you more expert 328I owners cold chime in and help me with my dilemma. My 4 year lease on my 2009 328I is coming to an end in the next couple of months, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do buy it outright or look into something else.The car has 53.000 Km and aside for the steering wheel not heating up at times, and a left rear turn signal malfunction the car as been awesome. Both of these issues were fixed under warranty and was told that they also replaced the right signal lens as well, at a total cost of nearly 2000 dollars. I refuse to buy the extended warranty that is being offered for another 3 years since I think the cost is crazy, and not from BMW but a third party. I can buy the car for just short of $24.000 Canadian. My real question is what repairs can I expect in the next year or so beside the dreaded run flat tires and brakes. I would truly appreciate any guidance that you guys can offer. This is my first BMW, in the past I have always had Japanese vehicles and the cost of ownership as been very low. Having said all of this I can without a shadow of a doubt say that the 328 is the most fun to drive car that I have had up to now. I know that short of having a crystal ball is hard to predict that is way I want to know from real owners what they have encountered after the warranty is over.
Thank you Ross

2009 328i Monaco Blue/Oyster Leather/Premium Package/
Executive Package

Last edited by quatrtz; 03-29-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I'd give pretty serious consideration to buying it. The buyout price looks pretty good for Canada (as best as I understand Canadian pricing). Converted to U.S. dollars it is not unreasonable. What was the MSRP on it when you bought it? The kms are pretty low. You know its complete history and have enjoyed the car.

Future maintenance and repairs are not particularly likely to be extreme. Just keep in mind that BMWs do require a somewhat higher level of routine maintenance than a comparable Japanese car and repair can be somewhat more costly, but not excessively so.

You may be able to find an extended service contract at a fairly reasonable price if you want to go that route. I got a five year/72k mile virtually bumper-to-bumper service contract for $2,400 USD when I bought my car. So far in 3 1/2 years and about 33k miles I've used it twice for a total payout of about $600. It is from Tier One Warranty in Houston, TX. www.tieronewarranty.com. They don't sell directly, but through brokers. Don't know if they sell in Canada. I've been satisfied with their service.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Thanks for your reply
I have leased the car over the last 4 years, the price new was just about $52 Canadian. The buy back seems to be reasonable at $24.000 Canadian all in, I'm not to sure spending $4000+ on extended warranty is the right thing to do. Is the 328i a typically troublesome car after 80.000 Km. If so should I at my cost get the dealer to go over the car while still under warranty to spot potential problems.

2009 328i Monaco Blue/Oyster Leather/Premium Package/
Executive Package