Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
CCV and hoses replaced this weekend on 3.0i

Wow, what a pig of a job. Anyone who says this job can be done in a few hours is either:

1. Lying
2. Houdini
3. Has the hands of a 10yr old child.
4. Works at a dealership and has done it a dozen times.

It took about 3 hours to get the intake plumbing off (air box, MAF, air "muffler", upper and lower intake boots, DISA, throttle body assembly). And another 4 or 5 to get the hoses fitted and everything reinstalled/reconnected. Some observations/tips:

I had to remove the air distribution manifold, the rake looking thing on top of the intake itself, to get at the uppermost vent hose. There's no room to get fingers on the clip on the back and I didn't want to break the 90 deg fitting off of the back of the distribution manifold. I recommend removing this anyway, as a couple of the intake tubes were partially blocked with crud. Once off, I gave it several squirts of throttle body cleaner and swished it around, lots of oily muck came out. I used some pipe cleaners soaked in carb cleaner to clean out the tubes in the air and intake manifolds. Blew out the air manifold with compressed air. I installed the new hose while the air manifold was off and set it aside. It's a good idea to replace the 6 o-rings (70 cents each).

I bought the insulated CCV and hoses. It's difficult to install the plain CCV, it's damn near impossible to fit the insulated version (which is nothing more than a foam jacket). The foam is bulky and grabs the intake manifold (and everything else under there) when you try to manuever it into position. In the end, I had to remove some of the insulation from one of the hoses to get it fitted. I also super glued the foam jacket seams, as the little orings that hold it together tend to pop off when manuevering it under the manifold.

The little bent hose from the air distribution manifold to the top of the CCV is a pain to fit. It won't go in from the bottom, the top connector is too big to fit through the manifold cutout. The trick is to snake it through the intake manifold from the top and lay it down (the upper connector will be about 90deg from the installed position and poining toward the ceiling. The lower twist connector will then be in the right position to mate with the nipple on the CCV. You can then feed the CCV into the abyss under the intake manifold, stick your hand under the first intake runner and mate the hose into the upper nipple on the CCV. Once seated, GENTLY twist the hose from the air manifold up into position while you swing the CCV down to lock the connector in place. If you are lucky, this will take you 10 to 15 minutes and 3 or 4 attempts. If not, it may take an hour or more. It will eventually catch. Wiggle the hose/CCV around to make certain it is connected and then do a happy dance, as the worst is over.

The other hoses are fairly simple to fit, spray the connector ends with silicone spray to lube the o-rings and they'll snap together easily. Loosely mount the CCV to the intake/throttle body with the Torx screws so that you have some wiggle room to fit the other hoses; they are tough to fit it you secure it first. I had to slit the drainback hose at the dipstick end to get it off, it was stuck on pretty good. Clean any goo from the dipstick tube and make sure it drains to the pan.

Fit a new gasket to the throttle body while it's off ($6), and replace the lower intake boot if it's more than a year old ($17). When replacing the boot on the throttle body, the clamp on the TB end can be a right biotch to remove; align the screw at the 9:00PM position (looking into it) with the screw head facing UP and you'll be able to use a 6mm wrench to tighten it a 1/4 turn at a time from the top. The clamp on the elbow gets placed at 12:00 with the screw head facing the back of the car.

You will be removing an assortment of electrical connectors to get the CCV out... from memory: mass air flow sensor, DISA, idle control valve, throttle body, intake cam position sensor, oil pressure sensor, air temp sensor, tank breather valve and one or two more I probably forgot. I marked them all with bright green labels so I didn't forget to reconnect anything. Same thing with the vaccuum hoses on the lower intake boot.

I think I could probably do it again in about 6hours, which is a good thing because my 330i is going to need this done soon. Happy wrenching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Wow, what a pig of a job. Anyone who says this job can be done in a few hours is either:

1. Lying
2. Houdini
3. Has the hands of a 10yr old child.
4. Works at a dealership and has done it a dozen times.

Houdini? Really? Funny.
I do understand however. Some people post the jobs they did and blatantly exaggerate for no reason. So I run with it, and then I'm like WTHell?