Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
UPDATE!!! Serious tire question: need help before tomorrow

I need to replace my front pass Tire (orginal cont tire) the reason I have to is because of a bubble on the sidewall.

My question to you.... Would it be okay if I just replace that one tire with a Michelin SS? So both will be different tires... Or do I need to get the same one as the original? Because I was about to replace both fronts with michelins and say F*&% it. I would rather save 300 bucks though.

Last edited by ArtchredTTU; 03-30-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
You could get an original for the pass side or get two Michelins. You really want to have equal tread patterns on the same axle, or else there would be more road noise and an out of tune humm as the tire rolls along the road because of the different tread pattern. Braking would be slightly uneven and tread wear may not be the same for them. Rain is another issue as they would channel water at different rates.
It's okay to have different patterns front and back, but not side to side.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 04 545i
I believe it would b up 2 u as long as its still the rite tire size,wouldn't hurt it.
But I do know if its a AWD or a 4WD, they all have 2 be the same kind of tires

Hope this helps
Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 PM

I really appreciate the comments guys, I would much rather be safe than sorry. It sucks because the driver side tire still has 80% tire wear. I forgot to mention which might be a huge deal. The continental is a RFT, the michelins are not. :O
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i xDrive
You should absolutely not put two different tire types on your front. Do not do this. Have you spoken to a tire shop yet, or are you doing it yourself? If you have talked to a tire installer and they are willing to do this for you then stop talking to them and never bring your car there for anything.

Put new michelins on the the front if that is your other option. And the one with 80% wear? It's a possible spare if you want it to be.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Have the tire shop do a visual and mechanical check of your control arm (Tension Strut/Wishbone bushings.

Worn/damaged bushings can lead to premature tire wear and damage.

Have a look yourself if they let you into the garage area and bring a bright CREE type flashlight for the inspection.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 AM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
At a minimum I would replace in pairs and with identical brand and model tires. You should be able to sell the good condition tire on ebay to recoup some $$ back.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535 xit
I have friends that have replaced in 2's on xi's no problems..
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i
Of you have a sidewall bubble, do you have a possible warranty claim to get it replaced free?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Those tires are original from when I bought it CPO. almost 3 years ago. I hardly drive much (7K a year) so I doubt there is no warranty on those Continentals :/. I might have a place check my bushings because I'm starting to think there might be a damage one because when I put it in Reverse, there is a pop noise from the front suspension. It's weird...

That all being said... I'm Done with RFT's!!!! I just finish driving my car with the new tires... WOW, the terrible streets of D-town Houston finally don't feel like my car's breaking in pieces lol. Its soooooo much smoother and easier to drive. I LOVE IT, I want to thank you guys for the suggests and comments. I'm glad I spend the money for these tires. Well worth it IMO
Old 03-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i
rfts are horrible. what tires did you end up getting?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinSD View Post
rfts are horrible. what tires did you end up getting?
The michelins SS, in the front. I have the BFgoodrich G force t/a's in the rear, they're very sticky.