Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
some of us like the sport line better than the m sport.
+1
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Well, my CA told me that they can't add an M-sport wheel to a Sport car. This contradicts 100% what he said when I was ordering the car, which was that once it arrives in the US, they can make final changes, including swapping the wheel for an extra $620.

To be honest, I'm pretty pissed off. This is the second thing he screwed me over on, the last being that he never informed me that I'd be losing the top speed limiter by going with the all season tires. Once I found out on here and confronted him, he said he "didn't know".

But the thing with the steering wheel...that's even worse. I don't know how you very clearly say one thing to a client, and the truth ends up being the exact opposite. That's more than just not knowing something.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
Well, my CA told me that they can't add an M-sport wheel to a Sport car. This contradicts 100% what he said when I was ordering the car, which was that once it arrives in the US, they can make final changes, including swapping the wheel for an extra $620.

To be honest, I'm pretty pissed off. This is the second thing he screwed me over on, the last being that he never informed me that I'd be losing the top speed limiter by going with the all season tires. Once I found out on here and confronted him, he said he "didn't know".

But the thing with the steering wheel...that's even worse. I don't know how you very clearly say one thing to a client, and the truth ends up being the exact opposite. That's more than just not knowing something.

Hmmm, that sucks, sorry to hear. Everything is negotiable, and the steering wheel still should be. They'll have it in your dealer's parts department, or can get it. I'd try to hold his feet to the fire on it. Any chance the wheel was added to the bill of sale for the car, so that it's in writing? I've micromanaged my CA a bit, ensuring that the PPK is part of the purchase price and will be installed prior to my delivery. I appreciated her telling me (very politely) that this isn't the first time they've ordered a car, and that they will take care of me.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM

He now says that it's a factory only option, so there's nothing that can be done, because the car's halfway across the Atlantic.

In the end it's not horrible....I just had my mind set on something, but the alternative isn't bad either. What's most disappointing to me is that I was hoping that a CA is someone you could trust, someone that would know more about the brand than you know. This shows that basically no, you can't trust any CA with anything. If you truly care about anything regarding your car, you have to get it confirmed by enthusiasts on forums like this one. Sigh.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
that sucks.
your next best bet would be :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-Perfor...66ba21&vxp=mtr

should be plug and play, the airbag is the same, and i believe the trim is reusable. $600 though
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM

Nah, that basically looks the same as the regular sports wheel. I like how simple and "racy" the M wheel looks. With the alcantara one, I wouldn't want to pay the extra money.

I need to think of a clever way to ask the CA to make it up to me for his two mistakes.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i sport 06 911S
Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity View Post
Hmmm, that sucks, sorry to hear. Everything is negotiable, and the steering wheel still should be. They'll have it in your dealer's parts department, or can get it. I'd try to hold his feet to the fire on it. Any chance the wheel was added to the bill of sale for the car, so that it's in writing? I've micromanaged my CA a bit, ensuring that the PPK is part of the purchase price and will be installed prior to my delivery. I appreciated her telling me (very politely) that this isn't the first time they've ordered a car, and that they will take care of me.
Sorry to report you CA is right. Can't be retro fitted. BMW will not support the changeover. I was willing to pay the full price (with new airbag around 2K) but they said NO.

Some kind of BS about wring harnesses being different. I think its crap but they will not sell it to me or gaurantee a successful install.

PS it reall ticks me off that on a 320i , M sport steering wheel is included in the sport package that is around $1500. for the whole package.

Last edited by emtrey; 04-03-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Nah, that basically looks the same as the regular sports wheel. I like how simple and "racy" the M wheel looks. With the alcantara one, I wouldn't want to pay the extra money.

I need to think of a clever way to ask the CA to make it up to me for his two mistakes.
I would ask for a credit in MPerformance goodies.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I would ask for a credit in MPerformance goodies.
He agreed to waive the $400 charge for the scratched bumper on my lease-end 328i that I will be turning in to him. It was my suggestion, and he said sure, he'll help me out. So as long as he holds up his end of the bargain, I will be happy.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Does anyone know how base wheel on F30 compare to sport wheel on E90?

The only reason I am considering m-sport on F30 is because of the wheel, can't stand thin and large steering wheels in base models. Unfortunately I don't like the rest of the m-sport offerings and would rather go with sport trim.

Give us stand-alone steering wheel options.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by runofkings View Post
You can also get the M Sport steering wheel on a Sport line vehicle for free if you have your dealer modify one of its existing order for an M Sport. There is a glitch in the BMW system that allows this to happen. In fact, if you build your own M Sport on the BMW website, and then switch it to a Sport line in the "available in other lines" section at the bottom of the build page, you will see that the M Sport steering wheel remains on the car after the change.
This must be what happened on my 328 Sport line. We found this car in another state and the build sheet showed the 710 M steering wheel. Sure enough, it is on it.

Personally, the Sport Line steering wheel is fine, but I really like the M sport one better. Great feel and easier to view the gauges.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post

The only reason I am considering m-sport on F30 is because of the wheel, can't stand thin and large steering wheels in base models. Unfortunately I don't like the rest of the m-sport offerings and would rather go with sport trim.

The baseline steering wheel is really bad, worst aspect of this model. I am used to it now but still it's too expensive a car to have this steering wheel! The M-Sport wheel looks really, really nice!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
The baseline steering wheel is really bad, worst aspect of this model. I am used to it now but still it's too expensive a car to have this steering wheel! The M-Sport wheel looks really, really nice!
baseline certainly does not look as good as sport or m-sport. i might be wrong, but i think by being a bit thinner it actually transmits (lets you feel) more road noise to your fingertips, which i like. The thicker wheel absorbs more, and thus you feel less. Maybe it's in my head?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
baseline certainly does not look as good as sport or m-sport. i might be wrong, but i think by being a bit thinner it actually transmits (lets you feel) more road noise to your fingertips, which i like. The thicker wheel absorbs more, and thus you feel less. Maybe it's in my head?
It's the feel of the material, very plasticky.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 06-03-2013, 03:34 PM

I really like my regular Sports wheel now. I was initially upset that I couldn't get the M-Sport wheel, but the regular Sport one works very well, and I have no issues with it at all.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post

Can't answer the first question but see my solution for the 2nd.

I went Sport Line because I did not like the limited interior colors planned for M-Sport. Luckily, the F20 M-Sport wheel is the same thickness as F30 M-Sport but is compatible with the F30 Sport airbag. So, you can have a nice thick steering wheel for about $500 - even less if you can find a buyer for the original wheel.

Here is my writeup: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825228

'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
I don't know how you very clearly say one thing to a client, and the truth ends up being the exact opposite. That's more than just not knowing something.
Business as usual...happens all the time in an economy where people go through jobs faster than underwear and have next to no pride in what they do, viewing it purely as a means of sustenance.

While not an apples to apples comparison (pun intended), you find these kinds of complaints from people who get information about various Apple products at the Apple store.

Much easier to get the information from forums.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 2K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars