Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
AWD rocks

Mein Auto: '09 MB E350 AWD
Exclamation BMWNA: Do you have paint chips (hood, bumper) from driving? If so please READ THIS!

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed MANY MANY times on this and other BMW-related web sites. So why post another topic about it?

Here's why...

I waxed my car the other week and noticed a GREAT number of chips on my hood and front bumper. I know the chips were caused from rocks from highway driving. I travel about 40 miles total on the highway daily.

I then called BMWNA the following day and inquired about the 50 or so chips on my 2 year old car. How can this happen? The car is only 2 years old and the paint is already sandblasted? I rode the samilar if not the same exact commute using two former cars, a '94 Ford Mustang and '00 Ford Explorer. I never experienced excessive paint chipping on those cars. In fact, when I ntraded bothy cars in, i noticed less than 10 tiny chips on the hood.

The vry nice BMWNA rep said that he has never heard compliants about their paint quality and it being VERY susceptible to rock chipping. Then he checked in their database of customer calls and still didn't see many calls about this problem. He even stated that he knows BMW monitors quite a few internet forums and they don't even read many posts about this problem.

Here's the deal. This is a problem. I know three other BMW 3-series owners who have this same complaint about excessive paint chips. I want you to speak out if you have this problem. Please POST your compliant here (w/ pics if you want) AND call BMWNA at 800-831-1117. Feel free to post the link to this topic on other web sites so non-bimmerfest.com owners know about this and they can call BMWNA.

RULES:
1. Let's keep this compliants to 2001 and newer models. BMWNA might say that a 4yr old plus car should have many paint chips.

2. Please don't go off-topic. Keep your posts short and sweet to to the point.

3. If you have any ideas or recommendations, please PM me and not post them in this thread.

4. REMEMBER to call BMWNA and issue a complaint even if you post here. 800-831-1117

5. I don't know if anything will be done by BMWNA but let's make them AWARE of this problem.

=========================
jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic
Missing my '02 325xi w/ manual trans

one good site: www.realoem.com

Last edited by jaisonline; 08-10-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2004, 10:29 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
All legally applied car paints in the first world are now water-based.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:32 AM
AWD rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
All legally applied car paints in the first world are now water-based.
that's fine but the auto/paintmakers should have a workaround to combat excessive chipping.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 08-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Yes, I do have chips on the hood. Yes, of course, they are from driving (what else could it be ?).

But let me tell you this. This is NOT a PROBLEM. This is how the paint is. It is well known (well, at least in the BMW community) that the OEM paint is soft.

What are you expecting to reach ? I don't think that BMW would even consider to change the paint. When you use a vehicle in an open environment, the paint will suffer everything from rcok chips to industrial pollution.

That said, Mercedes is offering a new solution, called the Nano paint. They claim it is scratch resistant, but for me it's hard to believe. No paint in the world can survive the impact of a rock in a car which is travelling 30mph or faster.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline
that's fine but the auto/paintmakers should have a workaround to combat excessive chipping.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:47 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
i have very few chips on my '00 (purchased in '99) from driving. the only non-driving related ones are from falling broken glass caused by f#cking vandals.

do you tail gate? a major cause of chips.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:48 AM
lurking

Quote:
the clearbra is a popular choice. if that doesn't work. perhaps the padded ones.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW
the clearbra is a popular choice. if that doesn't work. perhaps the padded ones.
I think that was a joke???
Old 08-10-2004, 11:33 AM
AWD rocks

alex, i agree w/ you. however, why didn't my fords have this excessive chipping problem? my father's lexus doesn't have this problem. a friend's old toyota celica and mustang didn't have this problem but his bmw does.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 08-10-2004, 11:36 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Quote:
alex, i agree w/ you. however, why didn't my fords have this excessive chipping problem? my father's lexus doesn't have this problem. a friend's old toyota celica and mustang didn't have this problem but his bmw does.
If this is that important to you, buy a Taurus.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW
i have very few chips on my '00 (purchased in '99) from driving. the only non-driving related ones are from falling broken glass caused by f#cking vandals.

do you tail gate? a major cause of chips.
High speed traveling usually get paint chips and sand blast from uncovered gravel trucks. Cars driven around town are free from paint chip because they are going too slow to do much damage. My jet black is full of chips. There is not too much I can do about it except to dot the white spots with paint on the tip of a nail. I will post a picture when I get a chance.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
They do; it's called "not driving it." My Miata was resprayed due to an accident a couple of months ago, and I'm seeing chipping already. It's the cost of the fun of driving it, and I don't even think it's much of a cost.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i
High speed traveling usually get paint chips and sand blast from uncovered gravel trucks. Cars driven around town are free from paint chip because they are going too slow to do much damage. My jet black is full of chips. There is not too much I can do about it except to dot the white spots with paint on the tip of a nail. I will post a picture when I get a chance.
i guess no law requiring dump trucks to have tarp or some sort of cover over their beds where you are. that sucks.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW
i guess no law requiring dump trucks to have tarp or some sort of cover over their beds where you are. that sucks.
We have those laws, but its the rocks sitting on the lip of the dump bed, on the edges, in the tires, etc. that do the damage... They are supposed to clean them off but never do...
Old 08-10-2004, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: German
If it is that important to you, have clearbra applied on your car.

The Turbo was driven by Butthead at 185 in not so good conditon roads wth tiny rocks and gravels, and suffered no paint chip.

Clearbra is your friend.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
The paintjob on my '99 323i is lasting much better than the one on my '93 Grand AM. By the time I traded that car in for my BMW, the front/hood looked as if I had it sand blasted.

My BMW while having a fair share of chips if fairing FAR better after the same length of time on the road and roughly equivelent mileage.

Chips are a part of life. Clear Bra is your friend.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Waiting for the 135i!

Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
Quote:
5. I don't know if anything will be done by BMWNA but let's make them AWARE of this problem.
The problem being that debris flying at very high velocity damages paint?

You want to see chips: the front of my WRX looks like the surface of the moon.

The paint on Subarus is thin and crappy, but I still blame myself. That's just what you get for driving 80 mph in highway traffic.

Hints for avoiding chips (if you don't have a clearbra, etc)

(1) Drive slower
(2) Keep a big gap between you and the car in front of you
(3) Never drive behind trucks/SUVs without rear flaps
(4) Slow way down on roads with lots of loose debris

I have implemented 2-4 upon taking delivery of my ZHP.

We'll see what happens with (1) after I finish breaking it in!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:09 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
This is the worst argument ever. Drives me nuts.

Sorry. I feel better now.
But it's still funny! I'm going to start a thread about tire and brake pad wear. I think it's absolute rediculous that when I drive a car for x amount of miles the brakes are worn down. Seriously, WTF is up w/ that?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 08-10-2004, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330CI Convertible
Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW
How bout the clear BRO?
Old 08-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed MANY MANY times on this and other BMW-related web sites. So why post another topic about it?

Here's why...

I waxed my car the other week and noticed a GREAT number of chips on my hood and front bumper. I know the chips were caused from rocks from highway driving. I travel about 40 miles total on the highway daily.

I then called BMWNA the following day and inquired about the 50 or so chips on my 2 year old car. How can this happen? The car is only 2 years old and the paint is already sandblasted? I rode the samilar if not the same exact commute using two former cars, a '94 Ford Mustang and '00 Ford Explorer. I never experienced excessive paint chipping on those cars. In fact, when I ntraded bothy cars in, i noticed less than 10 tiny chips on the hood.

The vry nice BMWNA rep said that he has never heard compliants about their paint quality and it being VERY susceptible to rock chipping. Then he checked in their database of customer calls and still didn't see many calls about this problem. He even stated that he knows BMW monitors quite a few internet forums and they don't even read many posts about this problem.

Here's the deal. This is a problem. I know three other BMW 3-series owners who have this same complaint about excessive paint chips. I want you to speak out if you have this problem. Please POST your compliant here (w/ pics if you want) AND call BMWNA at 800-831-1117. Feel free to post the link to this topic on other web sites so non-bimmerfest.com owners know about this and they can call BMWNA.

RULES:
1. Let's keep this compliants to 2001 and newer models. BMWNA might say that a 4yr old plus car should have many paint chips.

2. Please don't go off-topic. Keep your posts short and sweet to to the point.

3. If you have any ideas or recommendations, please PM me and not post them in this thread.

4. REMEMBER to call BMWNA and issue a complaint even if you post here. 800-831-1117

C-L-E-A-R-B-R-A is the solution to your problem, not BMWNA. They have more important issues to solve, like 3 Series window regulators, window trim, HK rattles, rough idling, M3 engine lubrication and Z4 sales tanking...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
C-L-E-A-R-B-R-A is the solution to your problem, not BMWNA. They have more important issues to solve, like 3 Series window regulators, window trim, HK rattles, rough idling, M3 engine lubrication and Z4 sales tanking...
Let me guess what's coming next:

"BMWNA: Do you have tire wear from driving? If so, please READ THIS!

Do you have premature tire wear from driving? I washed my car the other day and realized that my tires were nearly worn out! And, I only have 20,000 miles on my car! When I drove my Honda Accord, the tires lasted well past 60,000 miles. I expect better of a BMW!! "

I can't believe that people get so worked up over stuff like this and really think this is something within BMW's power, let alone something that BMW is responsible fore.

Call your mayor, governor and congressman and complain about having crappy roads, don't call BMWNA.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL

Do you have premature tire wear from driving? I washed my car the other day and realized that my tires were nearly worn out! And, I only have 20,000 miles on my car! When I drove my Honda Accord, the tires lasted well past 60,000 miles. I expect better of a BMW!! "

I can't believe that people get so worked up over stuff like this and really think this is something within BMW's power, let alone something that BMW is responsible fore.

Call your mayor, governor and congressman and complain about having crappy roads, don't call BMWNA.
Hey, don't forget that a suit was filed against Honda and Yokohama about tire wear on the NSX. I believe it was settled out-of-court, as it looked like the plaintiffs had a good chance of winning. And I believe there is one in process right now against Nissan and Bridgestone for the 350Z.

This crap is so phuktup. It's a poor reflection on the litigious attitude of Americans.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:21 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
If the tire or brake wear were beyond what is considered normal, what exactly would be the problem with complaining to BMW should use different brakes/tires in the future?

And why are people talking about lawsuits? He specifically said, "I don't know if anything will be done by BMWNA but let's make them AWARE of this problem." Suggesting that BMW could/should improve some aspect of the car does not have anything to do with lawsuits or suggest that you should go drive another brand of car.

And for the record, I have no idea if BMW paint chips easier than most, and I'm not saying I agree with the original poster. Just that I disagree with most of the folks who jumped on him for things he didn't even say.
That was sarcasm.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 08-10-2004, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL

This is very funny - especially from this side of the pond
Old 08-10-2004, 05:36 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
This is very funny - especially from this side of the pond
I just had new brakes put on the 325 at 20,000 miles. Luckily, BMW picked up the tab this time. However, if this car is going to need brakes every 20,000 miles, I'm going to have a big problem. Maybe I should call Dateline and Consumer Reports and have them do an investigation into the way BMW is treating it's clients.

I demand a call from BMWNA, and I want them to give me a free maintenance upgrade because my car eats brakes too quickly and it is simply not acceptable!!

(in case anyone didn't notice, this post is a joke... I have no problem with the fact that the car needed brakes at 20,000 miles)