Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Neat workaround for delayed throttle response

The delayed throttle response from start on my X1 2.8 xDrive has been driving me round the bend since picking it up in January. Even though the delay is small, it completely messes up the responsiveness of the vehicle, to the point where I don't think I would touch a BMW again.

I'm currently working with BMW customer service on a resolution - although not holding my breath as so far they have denied the existence of the issue.

However...

I saw a piece a few days ago (that I have regrettably lost the link to) that suggested starting from stop in 2nd gear, then shifting back into auto.

Magic!

It may be psychological, but with this workaround, the car feels like it's doing what you want it to do, rather than you entering a wrestling match with it at every junction.

Not a brilliant advert for BMW (I already have colleagues who are discounting them because of the issue), but at least I'm a step closer to not regretting the purchase!
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Start in first. It's even better.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
Start in first. It's even better.
I find the delay is still there with first - again, may be psychological, but a much better feeling of control with second
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 s28i & '12 X3 35i
I've seen a few similar threads on this forum and bimmerpost but frankly speaking I don't experience any throttle lag on my X1 sdrive 28i.....

But I don't try to accelerate quickly from a stop, either.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1322739 View Post
I've seen a few similar threads on this forum and bimmerpost but frankly speaking I don't experience any throttle lag on my X1 sdrive 28i.....

But I don't try to accelerate quickly from a stop, either.
+1

(always wanted to do one of these posts....)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1322739 View Post
I didn't either ... until my car hit about 8,000 miles, that is. Now the response has become Jekyll and Hyde-like - sometimes lazy and other times immediate.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
I tried it and it works. No lag in the response at all in 2nd, push the pedal and the car moves forward. In 1st the lag is there.

My only worry would be the extra strain on the driveline always starting in 2nd... It is an interesting finding though!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I don't think there is any strain from starting in 2nd. Many vehicles start in 2nd by default. I believe my N54 E90 started in 2nd in D and would start in 1st only in DS...not sure though. I know for a fact my parent's Infiniti M45 started in 2nd by default in D.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: Car
awe inspiring or Ah ?

Test drove a 2012 X1 CPO yesterday and was literally blown away by the uninspiring driving experience ...

Throttle lag really makes for a terrible driving experience, I could push the pedal, see the fuel consumption meter blow away past 15L/100km and then feel the car slowly accelerate.

I ask the BWM rep if this was normal ... was I in the wrong driving setting and I got 'no everything is working as it should'.

Went back to my old 2006 165,000KM car and it felt like a hot rod.

There is something roten in the state of Munich
Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: Nitro
Dont see a big issue here, but hey maybe some are worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdu6 View Post
Test drove a 2012 X1 CPO yesterday and was literally blown away by the uninspiring driving experience ...

Throttle lag really makes for a terrible driving experience, I could push the pedal, see the fuel consumption meter blow away past 15L/100km and then feel the car slowly accelerate.

I ask the BWM rep if this was normal ... was I in the wrong driving setting and I got 'no everything is working as it should'.

Went back to my old 2006 165,000KM car and it felt like a hot rod.

There is something roten in the state of Munich
I find that hard to believe, I drove the X1 for the second time last night before ordering one. The only time it had any lag was if it was in the std setting and it only lasted a second then took off, and if I put it in sport like the salesman told me, the lag was gone.

The car is fast compared to many others I drove before deciding on this one, I am hoping that for 2014, they possibly updated the ASS feature I think that's a bit rough, but the lag is minimal in the two I drove and seemsw avoidable with the sport mode.

Just my two cents. :-) Chris
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: soon to be X1
I doubt this has to do with starting in 2nd. It's the fact that you put the shifter into the sport mode. That alone improves the lag greatly.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristar1011 View Post
I find that hard to believe, I drove the X1 for the second time last night before ordering one. The only time it had any lag was if it was in the std setting and it only lasted a second then took off, and if I put it in sport like the salesman told me, the lag was gone.

The car is fast compared to many others I drove before deciding on this one, I am hoping that for 2014, they possibly updated the ASS feature I think that's a bit rough, but the lag is minimal in the two I drove and seemsw avoidable with the sport mode.

I wish I could be wrong but this is exactly what happend. I was almost ready to buy the car but this really turn me away .... plus the very average fuel economy (average shown by the car) was 11,6L/100 or 20MPG ...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I wish I could be wrong but this is exactly what happend. I was almost ready to buy the car but this really turn me away .... plus the very average fuel economy (average shown by the car) was 11,6L/100 or 20MPG ...
I wonder if you have done any research on this, The fuel economy on this X1 is hard to beat. no car will get the max #, but based on reviews I have read, once broken in you can count on 26 city and 30 highway, pretty amazing for a CUV style vehicle with 240 HP to boot.

I have driven more than 7 vehicles in this class or close and none drove better or looked as good, and even came close to the potential mpg this vehicle will get.

You should test drive one more, and put it in sport mode, it drives really good.

Chris
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM

2014 ?

Does anyone in the know or that may by chance already have there 2014 BMW X1 know if they did do any changes to address the odd and ends issues with the vehicle.

I am specifically talking about the possible lag in 1st in std mode and the ASS roughness.

I am ordering my X1 Friday, so in 6 to 8 weeks I will know :-)

I do hope they worked on smoothing out the ASS feature , I drove a GLK with it and it was smooth and worked great.

Chris
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you have done any research on this, The fuel economy on this X1 is hard to beat. no car will get the max #, but based on reviews I have read, once broken in you can count on 26 city and 30 highway, pretty amazing for a CUV style vehicle with 240 HP to boot.

I have driven more than 7 vehicles in this class or close and none drove better or looked as good, and even came close to the potential mpg this vehicle will get.

You should test drive one more, and put it in sport mode, it drives really good.

Chris
It was a 2012 CPO with about 12000 KM so fully broken in AND if indeed I was not in sport mode (hence part of your suggestion for the sluggish performance) then I would have expected to get better than about 20MPG.

Yes it looks good, but currently for me not much more.

I may try to go to another dealer, as I explain before I specifically told the Rep the sluggish performance and asked if there was another setting that could improve this and I got a NO.

Lastly, I don't know about your experiences with Reps, but this was the second visit and clearly got the feeling that I was wasting their precious time selling X6 and other up scale.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4MC
Quote:
It was a 2012 CPO with about 12000 KM so fully broken in AND if indeed I was not in sport mode (hence part of your suggestion for the sluggish performance) then I would have expected to get better than about 20MPG.

Yes it looks good, but currently for me not much more.

I may try to go to another dealer, as I explain before I specifically told the Rep the sluggish performance and asked if there was another setting that could improve this and I got a NO.

Lastly, I don't know about your experiences with Reps, but this was the second visit and clearly got the feeling that I was wasting their precious time selling X6 and other up scale.
Dealerships are retarded and have no clue about anything unless its handed to them from on high in the form of a TSB. You got a lemon, period.

For those of you who actually HIT the gas... There are well documented workarounds to this very REAL issue. Problem solved
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
There are well documented workarounds to this very REAL issue. Problem solved
Sad that we have to have "workarounds" for this very REAL issue. BMW needs to address this immediately instead of denying there is even a problem. German automotive engineers are reputed as being the best in the industry. It's time they prove it.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Econ, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Sad that we have to have "workarounds" for this very REAL issue. BMW needs to address this immediately instead of denying there is even a problem. German automotive engineers are reputed as being the best in the industry. It's time they prove it.
It is a shame that BMW does not address it, but could it be that for Econ reasons that's the way the std setting is ? When you put it in Sport which affects Econ, the lag is gone.

So you can drive without the lag issue, but if your worried about Absolute Best MPG

You need to have it in Econ, and ASS on and so forth, all things most people don't love, because its trying to get the best mpg when in those modes.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It is a shame that BMW does not address it, but could it be that for Econ reasons that's the way the std setting is ? When you put it in Sport which affects Econ, the lag is gone.

So you can drive without the lag issue, but if your worried about Absolute Best MPG

You need to have it in Econ, and ASS on and so forth, all things most people don't love, because its trying to get the best mpg when in those modes.
The EcoPro setting is suppose to maximize efficiency. The "normal" setting should be, well .. normal. Putting it in sport mode helps but does not alleviate the problem. And starting in 2nd gear and shifting manually should not be necessary to get consistent throttle response in any BMW.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Anyone know if BMW made any adjustments for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
The EcoPro setting is suppose to maximize efficiency. The "normal" setting should be, well .. normal. Putting it in sport mode helps but does not alleviate the problem. And starting in 2nd gear and shifting manually should not be necessary to get consistent throttle response in any BMW.
You are correct it should not do it in all modes , really any mode except maybe eco pro, when I test drove one, when I switched to Sport is seemed to go away.

Maybe I got lucky , it does seem to be an issue, but some owners are not reporting it as one for them, are they all coming out of 2nd or all in Sport Mode and not noticing it?

I have read about the issue on a few forums, and while there are a handful reporting it, there are about the same amount that say they don't have it, could it be they already made a change or maybe in the 2014 they made adjustments ?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM

As I mentioned above, it was barely noticeable for me until recently. No software updates or anything, so I don't understand what changed.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Interesting, this is what I did today. Called another dealership and stumble on a rep that knows it's stuff. Right away he said this does not sound right, come and see me & we will go through everything together.

So he hands me over a brand new 2013 X1 and we go for a drive. Sure enough it feels completely different than the almost new 2012 X1 I tried yesterday (at another dealership).

First thing to note, besides the mileage (12000KM) difference, the 2012 does NOT have ECON and ASS buttons/settings.

Trying the 2013 with ECON activated and Normal Drive, the car responded a bit slowly, but not really worst then the 2012 in Normal. Deactivating ECON on the 2013 made it behave very good, a looooot better then the 2012. Shifting the 2013 in Sport made it a no contest.

As far as fuel economy, in Normal drive (& Non ECON) I would get around 12L/100km on the brand new 2013. This is said to be normal (on a brand new car) so would have to see how much better it gets once correctly broken in.

So, was the 2012 a 'lemon' (even if it was branded CPO) or is there enough of a difference between the 2012-2013 to explain what I felt ?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
I thought 2012 was the refresh. And just delayed until MY 2013 for US release.

They should be essentially the same car but I would have thought the 2012 had ASS.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Wait until the adaptive programming sets in... or not, there appears to be a whole range of experiences when it comes to the lag

Last edited by greyX1; 04-04-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
I doubt this has to do with starting in 2nd. It's the fact that you put the shifter into the sport mode. That alone improves the lag greatly.
then why does it not work in 1st? that was one of the first things i tried and i noted this very early on. it's well established on the 5-series throttle lag/tip in thread that putting it in M-1st doesn't help. i don't think i read anywhere about trying to start out in 2nd. it does work, and i think sheds some light on the issue.