Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Cup Holder

My cup holder was not opening or closing properly. I had to press really hard and up to 4 times in order to get it to close...and to open. I have never put loose change or spilled anything inside the cup holder. I took it in and they said they had lots in stock because these break often.

2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirror Glass|Coded
BMW CCA member
Ads by Google
Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
If you have not abused it with spills and jamming objects, sounds like a warranty issue.

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
My cup holder was not opening or closing properly. I had to press really hard and up to 4 times in order to get it to close...and to open. I have never put loose change or spilled anything inside the cup holder. I took it in and they said they had lots in stock because these break often.

Break often, what the hell this is not a ford its a BMW.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
I thought the same... Previous poster: yes its warranty issue, that wasn't the point.
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirror Glass|Coded
BMW CCA member
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
Well, Ford is about as bad as it gets based on this years Consumer Reports reliability surveys except for Dodge, but BMW is not all that much better, ranking below Lexus, Audi, MB, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc. Only trumping Volvo, Buick and Lincoln as far as premium brands.

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 06-07-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
There is most likely something small like a bottle cap in the bottom of one of the cup holders.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i X-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
There is most likely something small like a bottle cap in the bottom of one of the cup holders.
No it's just horrible design and functionality.
2012 535i X-drive, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Trim, Sport pkg, Premium pkg, Technology pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, Side & Top View Cams, Ceramic Controls, Sport Automatic Trans, and BMW Apps /// European Delivery May '12
Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM

Possible but they just swapped it out
BMW CCA member
Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
I find the cup holders flimsy and don't really use them. I usually bring a sports bottle of water on the go and toss it in the passenger seat when I drive alone. With the family, I just toss it in the back.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheNewGuy View Post
No it's just horrible design and functionality.
I have used it on my F10 for 3 years and it is fine with no issues.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
Old 06-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
.... but BMW is not all that much better, ranking below Lexus, Audi, MB, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc. Only trumping Volvo, Buick and Lincoln as far as premium brands.
Ouch. One has to wonder what model/s from BMW are really dragging down its score.

I know 2011 F10's were disasters, and it seems they've (hopefully) fine tuned things by now on it.

The one and only area I'm not confident in my F10 over my previous Mercedes' is in durability and reliability. M-B started making their cars comparatively boring and non-cutting-edge in recent years, however the trade off to that was much improved durability and reliability (the early 2000's were full of M-B innovations which turned out to be horrible for their business as the products were very unreliable and faulty). BMW being more on the bleeding-edge and such makes me wonder how these cars will hold up in the long run.

I keep having this theory that BMW are "delicate" and it's unfortunate, but will say that I have absolutely no quality complaints on my F10 thus far. Hopefully it proves to be just as durable as my E-Classes were because if so, I'll have no reason at all to looks backwards.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Cup Holder

BMW does not have a very good track record with cupholders. It took them forever to include them and they were designed poorly and broke easily. E38/39 are perfect examples.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
BMW being more on the bleeding-edge and such makes me wonder how these cars will hold up in the long run..
+1

I find a clue to the view BMW has of the products they offer in the

Bavarian
Mega
Warranty

MB is asking owners in the warranty period to pay for regular service and wear items so they have engineered for the bottom line.

Still I love my F10 and have had no issues. (Cant find a Knock on Wood smilie)

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i
Quote:
Well, Ford is about as bad as it gets based on this years Consumer Reports reliability surveys except for Dodge, but BMW is not all that much better, ranking below Lexus, Audi, MB, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc. Only trumping Volvo, Buick and Lincoln as far as premium brands.
If your putting your trust in consumer reports you have a lot more issues than that. Seriously that rag should stick to toasters and blenders.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Spray WD-40 on the tiny hinges and it will work fine.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbetts123 View Post
If your putting your trust in consumer reports you have a lot more issues than that. Seriously that rag should stick to toasters and blenders.
They simply report the results of responses from their three million subscribers. Disagree with their reviews all you want (and I often do), but their reliability data is sound. JD Power dependability rankings show the same results for BMW.

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 06-09-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5301
Quote:
They simply report the results of responses from their three million subscribers. Disagree with their reviews all you want (and I often do), but their reliability data is sound. JD Power dependability rankings show the same results for BMW.
The data maybe correct, but it is one of those statistics that are not very help full to me....

I have never considered reliability ratings when buying a care, some people do, some do not. The people who drive Toyota and Daihatsu's are the kind that look for reliability (but do not get it always). My wife has a 2013 MKX, so called least reliable. It is a fantastic car, we have no issues whatsoever, true upmarket ride, high quality interior and very quiet. Am I just lucky?

I am very happy with the F10... even-tough the cup holders suck (wrong place, bad design); in my wives Lincoln they are way better :-)

Old 06-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Cup Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edino View Post
in my wives Lincoln they are way better :-)
How many wives do you have!?!?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Dark Knight

I guess I'm lucky that my cupholders never actually have "cups" in them. I wouldn't mind a car without cup holders as they're usually just design eye sores to me.

.... Well, okay, I put a bottle of water in there the other day. I usually just use it as my Cell Phone holder, but even then I like when the cover is closed so it doesn't compromise the interior design of seamless wood panel into plastic cup holders and the scattered items in them.

It's funny how important cup holders are to the general American populous. In ROW, the Mercedes CLS has an all wood panel center console just like the E Class, however ONLY in the U.S, Mercedes actually took out the wood center console and replaced it with an ALWAYS VISIBLE hideous cup holder setup. Not only is it shameful of M-B to compromise the interior look and quality of such a high priced car with a constant-plastic-cupholder console without at least a lid to cover them, but speaks volumes about how fed up the Germans are with American cup-holder-obsessed culture: "F*** it, we're tired of getting bad reviews because of our #*$#*$****$ cup holders, just put two big cup holders in the console of the CLS and don't give them a chance to even be covered, I don't care how elegant this car is supposed to be".

I've heard by car salesman that the general buying public cares more about the cup holders than about anything else in the car. America can be so funny.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
Two things that German engineers refused to spend time on.

1.) Touchscreens
2.) Cup Holders

There were given a soda can and were told that it's an American must have.

Current:
14 smart electric drive
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbetts123 View Post
if your putting your trust in consumer reports you have a lot more issues than that. Seriously that rag should stick to toasters and blenders.
+1

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbetts123

Firstly, the CR people may be the largest group of liberal geeks ever to be assembled at a magazine. However, they don't accept advertising so they have much more credibility than all the other car magazines combined. They have a state of the art car testing facility and buy the vehicles anonymously. Their dependability ratings are spot on and if one disagrees with a review that's fine- there is subjectivity involved.....

Oops, off topic. Americans like cup holders, and watching tackle football too. Yes, there are many cultural differences from Europeans. Cup holders are functional and needed in the opinion of most Americans- I don't think it cheapens the interior look of a BMW or a MB.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbetts123

Firstly, the CR people may be the largest group of liberal geeks ever to be assembled at a magazine. However, they don't accept advertising so they have much more credibility than all the other car magazines combined. They have a state of the art car testing facility and buy the vehicles anonymously. Their dependability ratings are spot on and if one disagrees with a review that's fine- there is subjectivity involved.....

Oops, off topic. Americans like cup holders, and watching tackle football too. Yes, there are many cultural differences from Europeans. Cup holders are functional and needed in the opinion of most Americans- I don't think it cheapens the interior look of a BMW or a MB.
When designed appropriately, then cup holders indeed don't affect interior design as they're perfectly hidden when need be.

Mercedes seemed to get fed up and IMO tarnished the interior of a car priced and presented prestigiously by sticking two huge cup holders smack dab in the console where the original EU versions have what's expected of any fundamental luxury car: A nice console lid to give a clean, uncluttered look to cover up something as ultimately utilitarian and "cheapo" looking as exposed cup holders.

U.S:

Rest Of World: