Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Gear box problem

Gettin more and more frustrated with my X5. Seems that the gearbox is running rough , making it seem it can't decide what gear to be in. Appears to be at it's worse when 'coasting' between 40 and 50mph. Had a friend use diagnostics to reset the adaption values of the box, and that seemed to remedy the problem for a while but the fault has reoccurred. Would appreciate any ideas or possible solution, or must I prepare myself for new gearbox imminently. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
I think it's new gearbox unfortunately. It's $4000 to replace with labour. Your gearbox internals have been damaged or worn themselves through, possibly by hard driving from a previous owner if there was one? Best you get ht replaced ASAP, as gearbox malfunction can potentially transmit to other components of the drive train, which could cause further damage.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks for input and prompt response my friend. I'm hoping it's not going to need that just now. Going to drain oil out and inspect for contamination etc. Putting it back on diagnostics later with more up to date and powerful system. May give me other options before having the need for new box. Here's hoping ! Only had this X5 for just over a year, and its cost me a fortune already on electrical problems. Not impressed with BMW !! Never buy another nor recommend to others.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Prometheus

I have a BMW 2006 e53 3.0i and have never had any problems other than minor ones? I never submit it to hard driving, have taking it through country many times with my dog and daughter in the back and my wife in the passenger seat and we have enjoyed 1000s of miles of trouble free operation for 6 years. I clean it regularly, have it checked by an authorised BMW dealer every 6 months and once a year, it has its service.

I am despaired about the problems people are dealing with on this forum. It has never been my BMW experience and I've had BMW cars for the past 20 years? I never buy a BMW unless its from an authorised BMW dealer who guarantees the car has passed a 100 point check. However, many of the models on this forum have been purchased cheap through private sale or non BMW dealers who don't submit the car to authorised checks. The cars have probably been abused by the previous owner, not cleaned or serviced regularly, and have just been at the device of a driver with too much money and brawn for brains.

Your car may have had this history?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback707 View Post
Gettin more and more frustrated with my X5. Seems that the gearbox is running rough , making it seem it can't decide what gear to be in. Appears to be at it's worse when 'coasting' between 40 and 50mph. Had a friend use diagnostics to reset the adaption values of the box, and that seemed to remedy the problem for a while but the fault has reoccurred. Would appreciate any ideas or possible solution, or must I prepare myself for new gearbox imminently. Thanks.
Hi
just got an x5 and mine doing the similar
and in the middle of it all having a few other problem with the ABS
which I need to fix first
but will keep an eye on how your getting on , have done some research and the worse worse case is we may have to get a reconditioned gear box , in replacement of our own cost is about 1200 - 1600 fitted so that's the worse case
seems to be a few places do it in England
just need to rule out the small issues first ,
how many miles on yours ? gear box oil change ???
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Gearbox Problem

Have done an oil change and filter change. Seemed to have nailed it at first but after some four weeks of use the symptoms are slowly returning, so I think no other choice but recon box needed.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM

let us know how you get on please and where you source the gear box and for how much
thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Year? Model?
Have you tried taking it to a dealer or somebody who can do the transmission software upgrade? This may be something only a dealer can do.
GL.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 AM

Hi Damien. Have just got a gearbox for my X5. From Gearbox-man in Yorkshire. A very helpful chap Paul Mathers. Recon box was 1275 with torque converter. I also paid 285 surcharge as I am unable to do straight exchange but this is refundable later when old box is out. Postage was 50 each way. Total 1650. Their Tel. No. is 01226381000
Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Prometheus

Gear box problem

Not a bad price, which equates to approximately $4000AU, which is what I roughly estimated in my previous post on this topic.

BMW gearboxes are complex and take all of two days for a service engineer to install and test.

Glad you are getting it done. The recon box, provided it is a good one, should seve you for years.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback707 View Post
Hi Damien. Have just got a gearbox for my X5. From Gearbox-man in Yorkshire. A very helpful chap Paul Mathers. Recon box was 1275 with torque converter. I also paid 285 surcharge as I am unable to do straight exchange but this is refundable later when old box is out. Postage was 50 each way. Total 1650. Their Tel. No. is 01226381000
thanks very much for that

hopefully wont come to it , who u getting to fit it for you and how much do you think it will cost ?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM

guys just a quick question , does the abs module have any electrical link or is it passing information to the gearbox system ?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Prometheus

Gear box problem

It's a good question and I do have a hunch that ABS needs information about the current gear and pressure before it applies the correct braking force.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
b4 u change ur tranny get ur valvebody swapped to c what happens

the tranny itself is only clutch packs and the seals,
the valvebody is the whole controller itself
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
It's a good question and I do have a hunch that ABS needs information about the current gear and pressure before it applies the correct braking force.

yeah and I think it might also work in gear selections at well , since the speed sensors from the wheels run through the ABS module ?? and the speedo is hooked to the abs module hmmm