Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan
Are BMW's only Yuppie's Cars these days?

Okay first post and I know what your thinking, but give me a chance to explain myself...

Im not here to Troll, the thing is Ive actually been a BMW fan going back over 10 years... Had an E36 over decade ago and was very cool car...

Im posting specifically in the "M" section for a reason, my thought is that a "real" BMW is at least an M series or higher. I say that because BMW "the ultimate driving machine" was really synonymous with performance right? I mean thats what this company was built on...

However, it looks that was changed some years ago when BMW started to get away from performance and almost design their cars for yuppie Americans. You know the ones im talking about, first year college kid with rich parents that knows nothing about cars or heritage and buys one only cause it has a badge on the car... Well this trend has continued even more so and now spinning out of control with the whole introduction of "body by VI". Off hand I can think of 3-4 drippy nose kids I know that got into "Vi" only because they wanted to pose with the rest of the yuppies and their low end 3 series...

Now they are driving around in their leased 3 series thinking they own an M5

More and more of these black POS "Vi-mobiles" are popping up everyday in my area to the point where if you drive a BMW of any class in my neighborhood you will be flagged down by these college dropout wannabie hotshot kids and asked who's "Vi Team" you belong to...? They wouldn't know the difference between a german 4.4L twin turbo V8 or a civic si 1.8L tuna can if it hit them at 200MPH....

So my point is that, I really want to consider another M for my next ride but feel like I cant even imagine looking the same as all these yuppie punks... As REAL BMW owners, M owners, does it burn you at all to know that these low end models are flooding the streets you also live on? Should I just buy a Merc?
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
The fact that you care about what everyone else is driving makes you no better than everyone else who got it but didn't "earn" it.

Buy a car because it suits your needs and because it floats your boat. And if it bugs you to be around a bunch of poseurs, you're going to be really disappointed with the world for the rest of your life.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Nope, doesn't bug me at all. Please buy more so BMW remains financially healthy and able to invest in R&D.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM

Im not sure why this turned into a conversation about me? Ive always bought cars that suite my needs. For me, I don't want to be the 29th house on the block that looks identical to every $25,000 3 series, just because I wear an "M" isnt really much of an identifier these days, as BMW has made the split much smaller between performance and yuppie america.

The post was about the direction the company has gone over the last decade and I think you guys are missing my point...

If were being honest here, you guys didn't buy M's either because you wanted to "fit in with the crowd" so you can attack me for wanting to stand out a bit, but at least im honest enough with myself to say - Id like to stand out. Im not putting myself above anyone else, Im simply a real car guy, and have always been... Ive been building performance engines and cars since I was very young... When I build a car I build it to stand out, and im proud of that fact. I drive fast cars because I have the skills to handle them, and can appreciate the intricacies of such a machines. But again its not about me, its about changes in BMW in recent years... They are not catering to the real drivers and car guys like they used to.

Last edited by Mikey12345; 03-31-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
I'm with solstice---let the posers continue to buy BMW's so prices come down.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
No different than Mercedes putting AMG all over their cars. It's marketing and it sells cars...
Old 03-31-2013, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
What is body by vi? Now i have to google it. I had an f30 328i and it was a great car. Just got into an e90 m3 and there is no comparison. I dont think its close to 25k 3er at all let alone my f30 which was $47+k.

What do you mean can handle a fast car? There are very different meanings to that. Are you talking professional race car driver or experience? Fastest guy at the track with the slowest car good or just i can go straight in a very fast car good?

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)

Last edited by pkim1079; 03-31-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey12345 View Post

More and more of these black POS "Vi-mobiles" are popping up everyday in my area to the point where if you drive a BMW of any class in my neighborhood you will be flagged down by these college dropout wannabie hotshot kids and asked who's "Vi Team" you belong to...? They wouldn't know the difference between a german 4.4L twin turbo V8 or a civic si 1.8L tuna can if it hit them at 200MPH....

So my point is that, I really want to consider another M for my next ride but feel like I cant even imagine looking the same as all these yuppie punks... As REAL BMW owners, M owners, does it burn you at all to know that these low end models are flooding the streets you also live on? Should I just buy a Merc?
Hi, welcome to the 'fest.

Owned 5 bimmers since 2003, been active online that period, and I've never heard of 'Team Vi'? Can you post a picture of what this thing is?

To your point, BMW is in the business of selling their brand to make money. They are good at it. If it makes money, is upmarket and looks good, they will build it; with the possible exception of the 5 Series GT.

Here in Atlanta, every other car is a white AT leased three series driven by an elegantly coifed urbanite. So yeah, quite a lot of bimmers here. But I've never worried too much about what others think.

I bought a BMW because I wanted a practical, elegant, good handling daily driver. I've always driven a 6MT, and my bimmers have always been very engaging to drive. The M3 is astonishingly capable, has huge performance (much beyond my skill level to drive anywhere near the limit on a track) and in E9x form, unique in that it is the last of the BMW NA V8 engine M cars.

Question: Have you driven a modern M3?

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 03-31-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Nope, doesn't bug me at all. Please buy more so BMW remains financially healthy and able to invest in R&D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
I'm with solstice---let the posers continue to buy BMW's so prices come down.

+2

Moreover - I could truly give a damn who approves or disapproves of my M3. I find one of the most attractive attributes of my M3 is its “stealth” quality” – after all it is just a 3 series to most. I drive my M3 for the sheer joy of driving – I drive for me.

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-31-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Hi, welcome to the 'fest.

Question: Have you driven a modern M3?
Thx, driven yes, owned no...

Doesn't sound like too many other areas are being effected by the influx of low 3 series like here...

Maybe the solution is to buy the M3 and move
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Thx, driven yes, owned no...

Doesn't sound like too many other areas are being effected by the influx of low 3 series like here...

Maybe the solution is to buy the M3 and move
M3 is the real deal. I enjoy the hell out of mine.

Good luck.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Wannabes and poseurs? Yuppies? How old are you?

Dunno. I enjoy the heck out of my 328. Ill likely "skimp" out and "pose" with every option next time around.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Wannabes and poseurs? Yuppies? How old are you?

Dunno. I enjoy the heck out of my 328. Ill likely "skimp" out and "pose" with every option next time around.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
Dont be so touchy, if you bought a 328 because you liked THAT car than enjoy yourself.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
Love my M3. Love how it sounds and drives. Its pretty cool too when someone sees and hears it and has that look of" dayum, nice ride!"
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM

im still wondering WHAT THE F*CK IS BODY BY VI?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
no idea what vi is.bmw mixes sport and luxury like no other car company who cares about the posers and etc
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM

hope it isn't this crap

http://visalusmichiganteam.com/body-by-vi-bmw/
Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 PM
puppet master

This is all I could find:
http://www.thevisalusgroup.com/pages/join/default/8/
Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 AM

so they are using a great car to scam people?

Join and you can possibly if you are lucky get a BMW! (picture of M3, actual car base 128i) lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 AM
puppet master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
so they are using a great car to scam people?

Join and you can possibly if you are lucky get a BMW! (picture of M3, actual car base 128i) lol.
Yes, this is what I am getting from it. ^^
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM

hey the 128i isn't a bad bmw
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Trying to decide which is worse... the stupid Vi scam or this thread. I think it's a draw.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
Quote:
You made it about you, when you started a thread of high-level Do*che-Baggery... Obviously you do care about how you look and what others think of you and your ride, and that's unfortunate. I live in the middle of Silicon Valley, where I'm passed by Facebook pre-teens driving new Porsches and Ferraris on a regular basis, and you know what, that's cool, great for them. Wish I was smart enough to be a highly desirable software engineer like them. I don't care if they appreciate the machine they have or if they just like the way the leather matches their shoes, it doesn't affect my experience behind the wheel of my car.

FYI - BMW's M division is only about 40 years old, but they've been making REAL BMWs for much longer than that. BMW as the ultimate driving machine is not exclusive of just M cars, but the blend of luxury, sport, competent dynamics in almost all of their models. Sure, things have been diluted a bit in recent years as BMW makes more mass-market cars. But as others have pointed out, it funds R&D.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity View Post
You made it about you, when you started a thread of high-level Do*che-Baggery... Obviously you do care about how you look and what others think of you and your ride, and that's unfortunate. I live in the middle of Silicon Valley, where I'm passed by Facebook pre-teens driving new Porsches and Ferraris on a regular basis, and you know what, that's cool, great for them. Wish I was smart enough to be a highly desirable software engineer like them. I don't care if they appreciate the machine they have or if they just like the way the leather matches their shoes, it doesn't affect my experience behind the wheel of my car.

FYI - BMW's M division is only about 40 years old, but they've been making REAL BMWs for much longer than that. BMW as the ultimate driving machine is not exclusive of just M cars, but the blend of luxury, sport, competent dynamics in almost all of their models. Sure, things have been diluted a bit in recent years as BMW makes more mass-market cars. But as others have pointed out, it funds R&D.
great post here.though i do hear where your coming from Op.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Whie on Coral
Ha ha! Had a lot of fun reading this amusing thread!! I think BMW instills in its own ways "the ultimate driving machine" in every series.