Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Looking for advice with planning a group drive

The weather here is finally starting to warm up and the other bimmer drivers I know are interested in a group drive. In the past, our drives were impromptu and worked out fine. This time we're thinking of ways to improve without over complicating the issue. We have lots of BMWs and other sports car enthusiasts that would likely join.

I've mapped out a route and driven it to confirm it has good scenery, twists/turns, speed limits, restroom stops, etc. I even found a cool coffee house by the beach that'd be a great stop.

What are some nice touches to add? My thoughts so far:
1) drivers bring hand-held camp radios for car to car communication
2) hard-copy printout of the route for each driver
3) pre-drive "concours" in the parking lot at work to give folks an excuse to spring clean their cars. Winner gets pole position and a free coffee at the stop.
4) [very loose idea] a $10 entry fee that would help pay for any unfortunate speeding tickets, and if everyone drives like they should, they all get their $10 back.
5) we found a park with great playgrounds so drivers could make it a family thing with the kids -- may add it as the break-off point on the return home

Any other simple ideas from those with the wisdom?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
The location would help. If you are in the NE side come join us for climb to the clouds drive in New Hampshire in late June!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Always laughing loudest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
The location would help. If you are in the NE side come join us for climb to the clouds drive in New Hampshire in late June!
Location is Rhode Island. Would LOVE to join CTC but expect to have movers about that time. Might be able to pull it off, but it's sketchy at best. The others, however....they may be really interested.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
If you are the organizer, you should be insured for the event in case something goes bad.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
1) Where is the event, what time period
2) Create a thread and get it stickied
3) Work with a few people (a committee of sorts) and find a date that works well for the team.
4) Make sure your date does not fall on a holiday weekend (unless you want that)
5) Offer accommodations. Find a group block at some local hotels. That will get people who may want to sleep over the night before and/or the night of
6) Raise money for charity
7) Refer to the Climb to the Clouds sticky at the top of the forum to see how we are doing that event. 5th year doing it - that's pretty good success
8) If you feel the need, put a disclaimer that each driver is responsible for their own actions/driving habits. You are doing this purely out of the kindness of your heart, making no money, and are not to be held liable in any way/shape/form for their actions. By attending the event said drivers are agreeing to these terms, yadda, yadda, yadda. This shouldn't be an issue, but nothing ever is until dumb lawyers get involved
9) In addition to paper, offer an electronic route available to everyone
10) The hand-held communicators are awesome ideas. It really helps. You should strive to have between 10-15 cars per group. The front and the last car should def have communications unit. If you have more cars, say 25-30) then think about splitting into two groups. This will make for an easier drive.
11) Have plenty of meetup spots for people to catch up, break, snack/drink. Even allow for things like shopping (helps get the spouses of some to attend). If there are good picture spots, places to see, etc then have those on the way

Don't just make it a driving event - that will be done anyhow - make it a fun weekend event (even if the drive is only one day).

Again, check the post stickied towards the top to see how we do it.

Goodluck!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Knight View Post
Any other simple ideas from those with the wisdom?

Thanks
When I do it, there are never more than 3 cars in convoy (I have a good reason for that), so what I do is obviously a little bit different. However, before elevation changes, turns of all varieties and especially decreasing radius blind turns, coffee stops, interesting-to-drive speed limits ... before all of that comes the rule that there should be zero other cars on the road. Of course it's impossible, but if you set your goal to zero, then you will find roads that have extremely limited traffic and hours in a day where it is virtually non existent.

NOTHING will poo on your nice parade as other "drivers" in this country. I think that is the most important aspect and you left it out of the list.

Just my $0.02 and worth exactly as much

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Always laughing loudest

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We did the group drive this morning and had a blast. The weather was great and we had a good mix of cars: X5, X1, two 335s, a 328, Caddy and Porsche. Several others were interested but had conflicts.

The local BMW dealer donated two coffee tumblers for the winner and runner-up of our unofficial concours d'elegance -- great motivation to do a spring clean/wax post-winter. Public praise to BMW of Newport for the generosity.

Tips:
1) Walkie-talkie radios were invaluable. We broke up a few times along the convoy and the radios were much quicker than cell phones and broadcasted to the entire group.

2) First stop was at the 45 minute mark and was perfectly timed for those needing to stretch, hit the restroom, and refill coffee.

3) Seven cars is about max, I'd say. Otherwise the convoy gets broken up and you have to re-group too often.

4) Planning diversions for the kids to have fun and make it a family friendly drive (playgrounds, parks), although generous, didn't work out so well. If someone brings kids, they feel left behind if the group of non-parents goes on ahead. We mitigated this today, but would recommend an all-or-nothing approach.

Thanks again for all the advice! A picture should be attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	372015