Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
Exclamation Struts And Shocks General Question

Hello all,

I was curious to know if there is a difference with shocks and struts by there brand name or is there no difference.

I drive a 1988 BMW 325i convertible and its shocks and struts are due and in order to pass inspection which is next month I'll have to replace the rear shocks and the front struts.

Now I was wondering if it makes sense to go by budget or if it pays to pay for more.

I want better handling as its my main driver and I can't deal with crap for handling.

I also noticed that Monroe had a deal where if you bought a pair you'd get a mail in rebate offer

here there link for the premium
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-72871-S...1&s=automotive

I might get them, but I'd rather get the best bang for my buck as well. I'd rather pay for the best then settle for something less.

Any input, thoughts or recommendations would be awesome
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
i was always happy with monroe shocks/struts on my cars. theyre not the best performance, but for dd and an occasional quick track runs theyre fine. bilsteins are one of the best to run for performance and dd.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Driving is everything

Mein Auto: 540i//E30//E36
It depends on what kind of drive and look you want to go for. I can say I'm happy with the performance of my bilstein struts and eibach springs pro setup. However, I regretted not going with coilovers for the look and being able to lower the vehicle a little more(hint STANCE it LOL). You should paying a little extra and go with the best, coilovers.

I Love Haters!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
Best would that be a raceland kit?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Metric Mechanic

Mein Auto: Polly(My '87 track ****)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Best would that be a raceland kit?
Hell no, does this place really sit in the dark on suspension setups? I am guessing you do not want coilovers, so my honest setup for you is Bilstein Sports with vert specific H&R sport springs.

I am only mentioning Bilstein because you will not be low enough to use the travel of Koni SA inserts. But you could always space out the Koni SA inserts inside the housing and use them. The Konis are much shorter than stock height inserts IE: Bilstein etc.

If you want coilovers go with Ground Control. Then grab a set of the Koni SA(400 shipped for the front pair). You pay to play, but the are WORLDS better.

Here is a thread where I show the housing mod and such.
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=263094

~ Puch Cafe. ~ Instagram, follow me. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my company ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP330 View Post
they looks the same as other coilovers on ebay.....megan,cxracing,bc....one factory,many labels..
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i
Hey you guys,

I'm hoping that someone can tell me or help me find out what size strut inserts I need for my 1990 325i. I've seen them for strut housings 2" and 1 3/4". When I measured the circumfrence of the housing and converted it. I came out with a diameter for 2.5". Now either my math is wrong(which wouldn't shock me) or its something else. And I'm looking at Monroe right now.

Anyone help me out?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325
Re: Struts And Shocks General Question

I had the same question before I replaced mine. I used a set of calipers and got the diameter from that. I have the 2" sport suspension. You could always take them apart and carry the inserts to the parts store to ensure a proper fit. Don't forget to fill the tube with oil after installing the new inserts. I also went with the Monroe Oespectrum inserts and shock absorbers. All together I think it cost about $100 for all four corners. I've had them on the car for a couple of months now with no problems. I would recommend getting new mounts, stops, and bellows while they're off and apart. Good Luck

1987 325e automatic sedan

Last edited by woodenbmw; 05-26-2013 at 06:11 PM.