Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-31-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
How much is CPO really worth?

Buying my friend's 2010 328i, which is coming off lease. Very low mileage, garaged.

We're going to have the dealer handle the exchange (for a fee, no doubt), since we don't want to have to pay sales tax twice (when she buys it from BMW, and then when I buy it from her).

Since we're already involving the dealer, should I inquire about having the vehicle CPO'd to extend the warranty? The car has only about 11K miles on it, and I do not expect to drive the BMW many miles either, so it's likely not going to need major warranty service in its first 6 years anyway.

That said, should I consider asking the dealer to CPO it? And if so, how much is a CPO designation worth? 1K, 2k?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Wow, you are really an outlier for CPO and the car probably wouldn't qualify with that low of a mileage.

Know that you are under full warranty for 48 months as it is.

CPO costs the dealer about $2500 or so .... you should search this board for a board sponsor extended warranty and get competitive quotes for less than $2500 with a garage queen like that.

Of course you might well self insure with such a pristine car.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsome View Post
Buying my friend's 2010 328i, which is coming off lease. Very low mileage, garaged.

We're going to have the dealer handle the exchange (for a fee, no doubt), since we don't want to have to pay sales tax twice (when she buys it from BMW, and then when I buy it from her).

Since we're already involving the dealer, should I inquire about having the vehicle CPO'd to extend the warranty? The car has only about 11K miles on it, and I do not expect to drive the BMW many miles either, so it's likely not going to need major warranty service in its first 6 years anyway.

That said, should I consider asking the dealer to CPO it? And if so, how much is a CPO designation worth? 1K, 2k?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
What you are doing is called an "in and out" in dealer-speak. The typical charge is around $500.

The car is eligible to be CPO'd. The only low mileage restriction is that a car must have been in service for at least six months or 6,000 miles. The cost to the dealer to enroll the car in the CPO program is roughly $1,300. Add to that the labor cost (about an hour) to perform the CPO inspection and any costs incurred to do maintenance and/or repairs to bring the car up to CPO standards. With this car those costs should be almost nil. I imagine the dealership will want at least $2,000 to CPO the car.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
What you are doing is called an "in and out" in dealer-speak. The typical charge is around $500.

The car is eligible to be CPO'd. The only low mileage restriction is that a car must have been in service for at least six months or 6,000 miles. The cost to the dealer to enroll the car in the CPO program is roughly $1,300. Add to that the labor cost (about an hour) to perform the CPO inspection and any costs incurred to do maintenance and/or repairs to bring the car up to CPO standards. With this car those costs should be almost nil. I imagine the dealership will want at least $2,000 to CPO the car.
Wow, great info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
While what TTrue said is correct, keep in mind and don't be surprised if the dealer says a number way higher then 2000. Not because the car required extra care (though that may be the case) but because the sales person may want extra cash

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
While what TTrue said is correct, keep in mind and don't be surprised if the dealer says a number way higher then 2000. Not because the car required extra care (though that may be the case) but because the sales person may want extra cash
Very true.

The way I see it, the dealer will earn about $500 for less an hour's paperwork. If he or she expects to gouge me with the CPO, I will just say "no thanks!". I'm hopeful this won't happen since (1) my friend is likely starting a new 5 series lease with same dealer, and (2) I'm a potential future customer.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Definitely look at the CPO coverage vs BMW extended warranty if what you,re after is insurance against major (covered) repairs. CPO is fine, but at its core it's an extended warranty.