Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Does the BMW Active Cruise Control also do Predictive Braking?

I can't find anything indicating it does this so I assume no. Am I right?
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The description on the BMW website says that you set in two things: desired speed and following distance. It also says that in stop and go traffic, it can bring the vehicle to a complete stop. So, I think the answer to your question is yes since it's capable of monitoring the following distance, it can also apply the brakes, should it need to.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM

My thinking is that they are two systems. One is the Cruise control with Stop and Go and the other is predictive collision avoidance. I think the latter is something independent and will brake even when you aren't under cruise control.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GC 2010 Maserat
I have a 2013 650GC with adaptive cruise. I assume the system is the same in the 5 Series. The car will do full stop and go when the cruise control is on and set. Even with the cruise control off, the car will do emergency braking if the vehicle in front of you suddenly slows down and you don't immediately react. I had this happen once already when a car cut right in front of me on the highway and suddenly braked. When the collision avoidance occurs, a red car figure lights in the dash/HUD along with a few quick beep sounds (not the usual gong) and the braking action.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 AM

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. I searched the BMW site and found this page on Active Cruise Control:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...nvenience.aspx

But in the pop up for the Active Cruise Control in the Configurator, there is the additional sentence " The Stop & Go feature includes Forward Collision Warning which sounds an alert if you are approaching a vehicle too quickly".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-04-01 at 10.41.01 AM.png
Views:	25
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	369209  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Thanks to all who posted....Now that I know what to search on for BMW, I answered my own question. Seems it's been there in 5 series since MY 2009:
Excerpted from http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/te...to-happen.html

BMW
The 2009 BMW 5 Series offers Active Cruise Control (ACC) with Stop & Go that will completely stop the car in stop-and-go traffic while cruise is engaged, and automatically speed it up when traffic starts moving again. The feature is also available on 2009 7 Series vehicles, along with a collision warning system (CWS) that uses the ACC's radar sensor to detect whether a driver is in danger of colliding with the vehicle in front. A warning appears in the instrument panel as well as in the vehicle's optional head-up display.

If the driver doesn't slow the car in time, warnings flash and an alarm sounds and the brakes are prepared for an emergency. CWS is active even if ACC is turned off, and it has two sensitivity settings: one that issues more warning and one that issues less.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Epilog: Warning is one thing, autonomous braking is another. Whether a car brakes enough to avoid a collision with a stationary object is a safety thing car makers are working on. I found an evaluation of several cars including the 5 series. BMW came next to last behind Volvo, MB and Audi. From that report:
"The AEBS in the BMW 5-series is not on a par with its competition. While the driver is warned very early, the initial alarm is too easy to ignore. If the driver fails to react to the warning, the BMW initiates partial braking, which does not reduce speed as effectively as the rival systems. If the obstacle is stationary, the BMW does not brake at all."

"The BMW does not come with an autonomous brake assist. If a collision is imminent, the car slightly aligns the brake shoes and improves braking response by priming the brakes. If, however, the driver applies inadequate brake pressure, it does not automati- cally adjust brake force to prevent the crash."

The full report is here:
http://www.activetest.eu/pdf/adac_aebs_report_en.pdf

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 04-02-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 PM

This may be crass, but if you're too distracted to miss a warning, you're not paying enough attention! BMW tends to be a driver's car...not a nanny, and they expect you to be the brains.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I guess we are getting to the point of having cars drive themselves.

Where's the fun in that?

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 AM

28% of accidents are rear end ones and can be some of the most severe. I think I read somewhere that insurance rates are lower with the Forward Collision Warning and lower yet with autonomous braking. Also from the report:

"A useful additional functionality of AEBS is the autonomous brake assist which effec- tively applies the adequate amount of brake pressure if the driver steps onto the brake pedal too lightly to avoid a collision. The BMW and Infiniti are the only cars of the vehi- cles tested which comes without this functionality.

Bottom line: Even if most motorists regard themselves as good drivers who do not need such a system, AEBS is a useful technology not only for inexperienced motorists. Any driver has already experienced moments of distraction when e.g. operating the ra- dio, calming down children or being exposed to other external influences.
If their cars come with AEBS, drivers should always bear in mind that the systems can never replace an attentive driver.
Motorists keeping a safe distance at all times and driv- ing defensively considerably enhance road safety. The systems are, however, a safety asset in emergency situations, preventing serious accidents or mitigating their conse- quenches."

Here's a BMWUSA video on another "Nanny" system for lateral impact detection. The car actually does a steering maneuver. :
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM

My point was not so much about the system itself, but ignoring a warning, should the system alert you. The typical US driver is too involved with other things verses the act of driving. We get lazy because many of our roads are nice and wide and straight (and the speeds are low, compared to many other countries). If you've never driven in Germany, I highly recommend you do. It's a quite different environment...drivers actually know and follow the rules of the road. They don't hog the left lane, actually stay right unless passing, will let people merge rather than speeding up to fill the gap, etc. The driving tests and prep in the USA are a joke. The only time I ever had a problem driving in Germany was during summer vacation time when the roads were filled with tourists. Those from Spain and Italy were some of the worst offenders. I won't go on about the drivers in the middle east...they're just downright scary - forget about the rules of the road, they just don't apply.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks for that insight. I'm warming up to the less intrusiveness that the BMW got dinged for. I did see the X5 does the full emergency braking.