Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i
Program Update

Hello -- I had my vehicle in for service and they updated my software in the vehicle. Now under settings I have a SPORTS mode option. Anyone know about this or exactly what his does? What else did this software update do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	369270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5638.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	369271  
Ads by Google
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
SPORT will change the chassis control (brakes, steering, suspension) and engine dynamics (faster shifts, hold lower gears longer, more responsive throttle). You can select to have only the chassis changes, or to have only the engine changes, but you can have both change as well. SPORT+ automatically engages the SPORT chassis and engine settings, but it also activates DTC, which allows for more dynamic, rear oriented power control; up to 90% of the power can be transferred to the rear wheels. DTC mode also allows for greater traction on loose surfaces, such as when stuck in snow, ice, sand, or mud
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Unless you have DHP then Sport mode is incapable of changing the suspension - there is nothing to change.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
I have MSport + DHP and although my throttle changes between Sport and Comfort, I cannot sense any difference in the chassis. I've tried several times on different roads and just cannot feel any difference. I'm beginning to wonder if the electronic dampers are not working for some reason. I think I'll ask them to check (if they can) when I bring it in for it's first (early) oil change.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
noka,

I'd suggest placing the car in sport mode then using the iDrive, go into settings and change sport mode to drivetrain only.

Here is a little video I took of my car when other members here thought their cars adjusted the suspension without dynamic handling (dynamic comfort north of the border).

Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i
I wonder why this program update my X3 28i had, added the Sports Mode on iDrive. It does the same thing your video does. It gives me Drivetrain + Chassis, Drivetrain, Chassis. Also, since the update my steering got much more stiffer than it was. It feels like my old E90 and old X3 I had. Much stiffer with the update. So from what I get, this SPORTS Mode that appeared in my iDrive after this software update at the dealer on Monday really does not do anything since I don't have dynamic handling?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
I have MSport + DHP and although my throttle changes between Sport and Comfort, I cannot sense any difference in the chassis. I've tried several times on different roads and just cannot feel any difference. I'm beginning to wonder if the electronic dampers are not working for some reason. I think I'll ask them to check (if they can) when I bring it in for it's first (early) oil change.

Find a shallow pothole or a depressed manhole cover, something just an inch or so deep. Run your left or right side wheels through it at 30MPH or more, once in Comfort mode, and then again in Sport mode. You should feel a noticeable difference. If you don't feel a difference then double check to be sure that Sport mode is configured for Chassis as well as Drivetrain.

Last edited by 02420X3; 04-04-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
noka,

I'd suggest placing the car in sport mode then using the iDrive, go into settings and change sport mode to drivetrain only.

Here is a little video I took of my car when other members here thought their cars adjusted the suspension without dynamic handling (dynamic comfort north of the border).
To try to feel the difference, I had Sport configured to Chassis only, to eliminate the feel of drivetrain (throttle) when switching between Sport and Comfort. I didn't notice any difference in Chassis response. Not sure why you said to configure Sport to Drivetrain only. In that case, I would expect no difference when switching between Sport and Comfort. But I am trying to run a test so I can feel the difference. Am I not understanding it correctly?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
noka, I am similarly confused and would have thought that the Chassis setting only would have been the way to test that.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjrmann View Post
SPORT will change the chassis control (brakes, steering, suspension) and engine dynamics (faster shifts, hold lower gears longer, more responsive throttle). You can select to have only the chassis changes, or to have only the engine changes, but you can have both change as well. SPORT+ automatically engages the SPORT chassis and engine settings, but it also activates DTC, which allows for more dynamic, rear oriented power control; up to 90% of the power can be transferred to the rear wheels. DTC mode also allows for greater traction on loose surfaces, such as when stuck in snow, ice, sand, or mud
Fjrmann, why do you think they enable DTC in Sports+ mode and how does the car feel when driving in that mode compared to regular Sport Mode? Is DTC the only difference from Sports to Sports+ mode, or are the other settings changed as well? Thanks.

BTW, I have a 2007 MSport X3 and am in the process of negotiating/ordering on a 2014 MSport.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
oops, I was standing on my head when I wrote that response. I meant the other way.

BTW, I don't notice any difference in cornering ability in sport mode just a more firm ride and at this time of year that ain't good with all the frost heaves and pot holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
To try to feel the difference, I had Sport configured to Chassis only, to eliminate the feel of drivetrain (throttle) when switching between Sport and Comfort. I didn't notice any difference in Chassis response. Not sure why you said to configure Sport to Drivetrain only. In that case, I would expect no difference when switching between Sport and Comfort. But I am trying to run a test so I can feel the difference. Am I not understanding it correctly?

Last edited by lbjgh; 04-04-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKBMW View Post
Fjrmann, why do you think they enable DTC in Sports+ mode and how does the car feel when driving in that mode compared to regular Sport Mode? Is DTC the only difference from Sports to Sports+ mode, or are the other settings changed as well? Thanks.

BTW, I have a 2007 MSport X3 and am in the process of negotiating/ordering on a 2014 MSport.
Sport+ activates DTC. DTC is 'dynamic traction control' and is a part of DSC-dynamic stability control. There is still traction control, but in this mode it is now "dynamic", meaning it will allow more tire spin before intervening. This can help get you through the snow as it will allow the drive wheels to spin and get some bite in snow, sand, gravel.
DTC on will also allow a greater "drift" angle, rear end going beyond the cars axis, as in over-steer. It can also help control under steer if it's extreme.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Finally found ways to feel the difference (with DHP) between Comfort and Sport modes w.r.t. chassis and steering (...the drivetrain change is more obvious):

Chassis: Early in the morning, when almost nobody else is on the highway with me in the right lane, I move enough to the left so that the reflectors sticking up at the lane markers hit my tires. I can feel and hear a difference when switching modes.

Steering: When going around a cul-de-sac and turning the wheel slightly back and forth (or even doing this while standing still or barely moving), I can feel the steering tighten up in Sport mode.

So, while I can feel the difference, I have to admit that both of these effects are subtle.