Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3
First Speeding Ticket after I got 2014X3

It was sunny Sunday morning. I was driving with sports mode on.
Had a blast but got a speeding ticket...
For those who live in the city, how do you drive your car to the fullest once in a while?
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I feel your pain.

Stepping out of my M3 into my X3 35i MSport, I feel the spirit of "M" in my X3. The X3 is a really engaging ride that begs to be driven in a spirited manner.

So very sorry, kinda puts the damper on the new car party......but this too will past....
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2012 View Post

It was sunny Sunday morning. I was driving with sports mode on.
Had a blast but got a speeding ticket...
For those who live in the city, how do you drive your car to the fullest once in a while?
Ouch!!

Your local BMW Car Club will probably have a variety of AutoCross and Driving School events that will allow you to get out on a track and drive your X3 in a spirited manner.

Check out your local CCA events. You can find links to local chapters as well as national events: http://www.bmwcca.org/index

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
NYC2012 -- There is something about the vehicle that says, "c'mon, let's have some fun", every time I step on the gas I want to push it further and further. It is difficult to restrain oneself from experiencing the joy of having a car that wants to go fast!

ERK
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
If you can't seem to control your speed on the highway I suggest you look into investing in a good radar detector, for those few times you just can't help yourself. I've been driving with a RD for over 10 years now and my points on my License is a +5. Without a RD it propably would've been suspended by now!

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Also it would be nice if BMW were to make a software change so "road speed limit" is posted on the dash or on the navigation screen, in large text.

Hope it wasn't too expensive a ticket.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Why don't you set the speed alarm?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 AM

Thx guys for the advice.
It was my choice so speed limit alarm wouldn't help me...
A side question is: How do you display your current speed on your screen ? I know I can read the meter but what if I want it displayed digitally? I don't have HUD btw
thx again
Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
Ouch!!

Your local BMW Car Club will probably have a variety of AutoCross and Driving School events that will allow you to get out on a track and drive your X3 in a spirited manner.

Check out your local CCA events. You can find links to local chapters as well as national events: http://www.bmwcca.org/index
I heartily recommend joining the BMWCCA to you new guys. After you have been a member of the club for a year, you are eligible for a nice fat rebate check when you buy a new or CPO BMW. For purchasing my new X3, I am receiving a $500 check. Moreover, club members receive a great BMW magazine - worth the price of admission - plus lots of activities and benefits during the year. BMWCCA is a great way to celebrate your BMW experience.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
I gave myself six weeks after my BMW X3 35i purchase until my first ticket, but I've made it nearly 3 months without! Of course I don't advocate speeding (or breaking any laws), but sometimes you just can't help but hit 85mph in a 65mph zone. Certain things I look for regarding when to be especially careful not to speed:

>If you see cops radaring, it might be that time of the month. Hold off for a couple days, until they're not around.
>Don't speed at party time: Fri/Sat evening/night, holidays, after bars close. I try to avoid driving then at all, it's really scary out there!
>Don't speed in notorious areas, e.g. urban interstate areas, regular speed traps
>Don't speed through small towns, they need their ticket money.
>Don't speed when there are people using mobile devices. An accident that's not your fault may become your fault if you're speeding.

A safer time might be a random weeknight, well-outside the urban areas, with no traffic, on a road you know, with good visibility.

There are also semi-public raceways where one can find a time to race, but I've not looked into that in much detail. That or Montana/German Autobahn. :-D
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
hehe, that's what I do... set for 94km/h.

Here in Ontario you loss your car for 50km/h over the limit and the lowest posted speed is usually 50km/h.

I go bagged for 86 in a 60 last fall... it only took a second in sport mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
Why don't you set the speed alarm?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Speed limit in Michigan is 70. I have found that they typically don't pull you over unless you are going over 85. I usually drive in the low 80's on the highway and still get passed by quite a few vehicles. I have set off my speed limit warning sign in the car a couple of times. I have it set for 89.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: infiniti g35x, '13 328ix
My daughter, who lives just over the border in Ohio, got a ticket 2 weeks ago from the Michigan State Police for driving 75 in a 70 zone. I always told my kids to drive up to 5 mph over the speed limit to ensure no tickets. Things are changing in Mich especially for Ohio drivers.

The cop clearly hadn't met his speeding ticket quota. A $100 ticket. Ridiculous, especially in Michigan.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus1 View Post
My daughter, who lives just over the border in Ohio, got a ticket 2 weeks ago from the Michigan State Police for driving 75 in a 70 zone. I always told my kids to drive up to 5 mph over the speed limit to ensure no tickets. Things are changing in Mich especially for Ohio drivers.

The cop clearly hadn't met his speeding ticket quota. A $100 ticket. Ridiculous, especially in Michigan.
I live on the West side of Michigan and State troopers are few and far between here for budget reasons. Every time I travel through Ohio on the turnpike I am always sure to slow down as troopers are everywhere it seems. Your daughter sure did get the shaft.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport
ditto...a month into having my new 2013 35i, I jumped on the throttle in sport mode and got my first ticket in 8 years...42 in a 25 in Oregon is $160. Good thing the motorcycle cop didn't see the illegal u-turn I pulled before I accelerated. He told me that he only clocked me because he "heard" me accelerating so fast. One downside to the exhaust tone of the straight six engine and the 8 speed transmission...cycling through the gears so quickly must sound ominous to anyone nearby!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: infiniti g35x, '13 328ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
I live on the West side of Michigan and State troopers are few and far between here for budget reasons. Every time I travel through Ohio on the turnpike I am always sure to slow down as troopers are everywhere it seems. Your daughter sure did get the shaft.

The Ohio State Patrol are everywhere on the turnpike but even they won't ticket until you are 7 mph over the speed limit. A friend of mine lives near Adrian Mich and he recently said the cops are now less forgiving in Mich re speeding. But ticketing for 5 mph over the speed limit is excessive and now my daughter is reluctant to travel to Mich to shop or for entertainment. That oppressive move by the cop may end up costing his state more than the initial $100.

I went to a concert last night in Ann Arbor and set my cruise for 70 in a 70 zone. I may limit my trips to our neighboring state too.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
This has become more of a revenue source that it was in the past --- I mean, who can argue that ticketing speeders is not a "safety measure" -- and oh yes, also just happens to bring in some money as well. Hey, they have to pay their inflated salaries and obscene pensions somehow don't they? At least two of my friends who do not have front plates (here in CA it is mandatory to have them) have mentioned they got tickets for that along with the usual 10 miles over the speed limit -- thus adding a nice little sum to the coffers. In the past no plate would have just meant a "fix it" warning ticket, not now. It is more important than ever to keep situational awareness out there now.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
This has become more of a revenue source that it was in the past --- I mean, who can argue that ticketing speeders is not a "safety measure" -- and oh yes, also just happens to bring in some money as well. Hey, they have to pay their inflated salaries and obscene pensions somehow don't they?
I have family members who are police officers (city not state) in Michigan and I can assure you that their salaries are not inflated. They have good pensions which they negotiated because their salaries are low. They deserve it! I would not want the job for any amount of money. It is a dangerous job and they both have seen fellow officers killed in the line of duty. They spend little of their time running radar.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Sounds like you guys can avoid all those speeding ticket simply by not putting the X3 into sport mode
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
I have family members who are police officers (city not state) in Michigan and I can assure you that their salaries are not inflated. They have good pensions which they negotiated because their salaries are low. They deserve it! I would not want the job for any amount of money. It is a dangerous job and they both have seen fellow officers killed in the line of duty. They spend little of their time running radar.
Not to change the subject mibmwx3, just wanted to see how your X3 has been for you. We both got ours around the same time. My driver's side window screeching has come back and is making me nuts. Took it to the dealer to be fixed and they gave it back no better then when I dropped it off. I'm trying to find what the permanent solution for this is. Otherwise, mine has been great.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Not to change the subject mibmwx3, just wanted to see how your X3 has been for you. We both got ours around the same time. My driver's side window screeching has come back and is making me nuts. Took it to the dealer to be fixed and they gave it back no better then when I dropped it off. I'm trying to find what the permanent solution for this is. Otherwise, mine has been great.
Well, mine has not been perfect, but I still love driving it, so I look past the problems. I had a problem with a leak in my air conditioner which left a moldy smell. They took everything apart (big job) and replaced the part they suspected was leaking. They purged it with disinfectant which I can still smell occasionally when I turn the fan on, but the moldy smell is gone. Someone scratched my back window. It was a small scratch, but since it was covered under my comprehensive, I decided to have it fixed for the resale value. While taking it out, they scratched the paint above the window, so now it is at the body shop. I was not happy about that. I also asked them to fix the screeching which came back a few weeks ago. Last year, they just lubricated it and it was fine. I hear a drone under my feet when I drive slow. I only notice it when I start my car. They could hear it, but this has been put off until it comes back from the body shop. All-in-all, I am happy with my purchase, but at this point, I only plan on keeping it until just before the warranty ends. If I would keep it longer, I would certainly purchase the extended warranty.

I have been driving an X5 35i as a loaner. My previous two vehicles were Ford Explorers, so the X5 is much closer in size to what I was used to. At first, it seemed like a boat to manuever, but I am getting used to it now. I don't feel it is as fun to drive as the X3. It's nice if you need a bigger vehicle, but I don't. One thing that I do like better is the smoother take off with no throttle lag.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Well, mine has not been perfect, but I still love driving it, so I look past the problems. I had a problem with a leak in my air conditioner which left a moldy smell. They took everything apart (big job) and replaced the part they suspected was leaking. They purged it with disinfectant which I can still smell occasionally when I turn the fan on, but the moldy smell is gone. Someone scratched my back window. It was a small scratch, but since it was covered under my comprehensive, I decided to have it fixed for the resale value. While taking it out, they scratched the paint above the window, so now it is at the body shop. I was not happy about that. I also asked them to fix the screeching which came back a few weeks ago. Last year, they just lubricated it and it was fine. I hear a drone under my feet when I drive slow. I only notice it when I start my car. They could hear it, but this has been put off until it comes back from the body shop. All-in-all, I am happy with my purchase, but at this point, I only plan on keeping it until just before the warranty ends. If I would keep it longer, I would certainly purchase the extended warranty.

I have been driving an X5 35i as a loaner. My previous two vehicles were Ford Explorers, so the X5 is much closer in size to what I was used to. At first, it seemed like a boat to manuever, but I am getting used to it now. I don't feel it is as fun to drive as the X3. It's nice if you need a bigger vehicle, but I don't. One thing that I do like better is the smoother take off with no throttle lag.
You will have to let me know what they do to try and fix the screeching. I've taken mine to Harold Ziegler in Kalamazoo which is close to my home, but at this point if they can't figure things out I'm going to drive it up to the Grand Rapids BMW dealer (which is an hour away). Pain in the ass, but the noise is so bad from the window going up and down it is embarrasing That's a bummer that yours has had some issues. I plan on keeping mine for a while so I will be getting the extended warranty when my four years are up. It's a shame BMW's are so fun to drive but are a reliability nightmare.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2012 View Post
...How do you display your current speed on your screen ? I know I can read the meter but what if I want it displayed digitally? I don't have HUD btw...
Search for threads with "Coding" in the subject. It can be done.