Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Resetting service due date

Hi again, all! =)

Many many thank you to all for helpful advises! Sorry, couldn't thank each of you for replies =) Wow, I learned a lot from oil changes from all those replies! thank you =)

I just got my oil changed yesterday by local shop like you all recommended even though I only drove like 3000miles since the last oil change, 18 months ago. Haha! But, I think it will be a great idea to watch for a promotion offered by a dealer around me.

My another question is, I got the oil changed but the reminder service date is not updated. The guy at the shop said, it's not a good idea to manually change the date outside the dealer, it might mess up the other due dates. Is it true?

If not, how could I reset the date?

Thank you in advance! =)
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLove View Post
Hi again, all! =)

Many many thank you to all for helpful advises! Sorry, couldn't thank each of you for replies =) Wow, I learned a lot from oil changes from all those replies! thank you =)

I just got my oil changed yesterday by local shop like you all recommended even though I only drove like 3000miles since the last oil change, 18 months ago. Haha! But, I think it will be a great idea to watch for a promotion offered by a dealer around me.

My another question is, I got the oil changed but the reminder service date is not updated. The guy at the shop said, it's not a good idea to manually change the date outside the dealer, it might mess up the other due dates. Is it true?

If not, how could I reset the date?

Thank you in advance! =)
What year is your car?

On LCI models to reset the next service mileage and date:
1. Insert your key fob.
2. Press the Start button but don't turn the ignition on (foot off the brake for auto or clutch for 6MT)
3. Once the xmas light show and dongs are done, press on the brake and hold the trip odometer reset for a few seconds until you will see the service menu on the dash
4. Use your stalk to navigate the service menu, use BC button to select an item you want to reset - press and hold BC button once you see the RESET option for a service item you selected.

Last edited by lqaddict; 04-02-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
What year is your car?
2007 328i but would it mess up other due dates if i reset it myself?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
No. Whoever told you that is a moron and is spewing typical "Only do maintenance here or your car will explode when you turn it on" crap.

If it's an iDrive based car, just push the knob in when on the main menu, then go to Service Interval, and reset it.

Hell, you even get to PICK THE DATE for this particular reset. I like to reset mine to my birthday every year, as that's when I go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and make sure everything's ready for the inspection.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
The service menu has submenues for different items that fall under the service - oil, brakes, etc.
It's just a matter of navigating to the proper submenu to reset that particular item.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM
California ber Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT

Quote:
Mostly not true. Ok, it's possible you could mess up the other service reminders. It's possible you could put too much air in your tires or put gasoline in your crankcase, too, I suppose. If you're reasonably attentive, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're worried about it, write down the existing service reminders before you attempt the reset. The oil service reminder reset should have been included in the oil service.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post

Mostly not true. Ok, it's possible you could mess up the other service reminders. It's possible you could put too much air in your tires or put gasoline in your crankcase, too, I suppose. If you're reasonably attentive, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're worried about it, write down the existing service reminders before you attempt the reset. The oil service reminder reset should have been included in the oil service.
Thank you again for the video! Was so easy! =)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
No. Whoever told you that is a moron and is spewing typical "Only do maintenance here or your car will explode when you turn it on" crap.
Thanks you for the info! Well, clear that the knowledge is a power, I totally believed him and thanked him. =) Haha I know better.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post

On LCI models to reset the next service mileage and date:
1. Insert your key fob.
2. Press the Start button but don't turn the ignition on (foot off the brake for auto or clutch for 6MT)
3. Once the xmas light show and dongs are done, press on the brake and hold the trip odometer reset for a few seconds until you will see the service menu on the dash
4. Use your stalk to navigate the service menu, use BC button to select an item you want to reset - press and hold BC button once you see the RESET option for a service item you selected.
Thank you for the instruction! =)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 3 series
That was great. I had only driven 10,000 on my brake fluid Had the oil changed at the dealer. Said no thanks to the brake fluid job. He said fine but he wouldn't reset the service light. What a jerk. BMW This might be my one and only BMW Porsche next. I will try and reset the date. My RED service light comes on when I drive the car.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
That was great. I had only driven 10,000 on my brake fluid Had the oil changed at the dealer. Said no thanks to the brake fluid job. He said fine but he wouldn't reset the service light. What a jerk. BMW This might be my one and only BMW Porsche next. I will try and reset the date. My RED service light comes on when I drive the car.
Well, doing the brake fluid every 2 years is a good idea regardless of mileage. The fluid is hygroscopic, and the change is time based unless you have been really hard on the fluid (by tracking it, as an example).

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328 I Coupe
Vehicle Check Reset Date

I have a 2011 328IX and I changed my oil and that was fine but when I went to change the
vehicle check reset in jumped to 07,2016. Would this be normal that this service is req'd
only two years.
I have 32,000Km and it went up to 48,000km.

Based on this can the system increase setting beyond a year and if so how to you backdate?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328 xdrive BMW
I am in the same situation with my 2011 328 Xdrive. Just had it services and now it says the next one will be in 2016. The dealer told me is not a problem... Anyway, I am planning to have a service every 6 months (10 000Kms).
Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328 I Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyto View Post
I am in the same situation with my 2011 328 Xdrive. Just had it services and now it says the next one will be in 2016. The dealer told me is not a problem... Anyway, I am planning to have a service every 6 months (10 000Kms).

What oil are you using that you require to change it that soon?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 328 xdrive BMW
I am using BMW' ol, the service is zone by a dealer. The Association of car's owners where I live recommends to change the oil/filter every 6 months even if BMW says 1 year. Just playing safe ...