Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 AM
EmmaLove EmmaLove is offline
Registered User
Location: LosAngeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Resetting service due date

Hi again, all! =)

Many many thank you to all for helpful advises! Sorry, couldn't thank each of you for replies =) Wow, I learned a lot from oil changes from all those replies! thank you =)

I just got my oil changed yesterday by local shop like you all recommended even though I only drove like 3000miles since the last oil change, 18 months ago. Haha! But, I think it will be a great idea to watch for a promotion offered by a dealer around me.

My another question is, I got the oil changed but the reminder service date is not updated. The guy at the shop said, it's not a good idea to manually change the date outside the dealer, it might mess up the other due dates. Is it true?

If not, how could I reset the date?

Thank you in advance! =)
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 AM
lqaddict's Avatar
lqaddict lqaddict is online now
Salz und Pfeffer
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 943
Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLove View Post
Hi again, all! =)

Many many thank you to all for helpful advises! Sorry, couldn't thank each of you for replies =) Wow, I learned a lot from oil changes from all those replies! thank you =)

I just got my oil changed yesterday by local shop like you all recommended even though I only drove like 3000miles since the last oil change, 18 months ago. Haha! But, I think it will be a great idea to watch for a promotion offered by a dealer around me.

My another question is, I got the oil changed but the reminder service date is not updated. The guy at the shop said, it's not a good idea to manually change the date outside the dealer, it might mess up the other due dates. Is it true?

If not, how could I reset the date?

Thank you in advance! =)
What year is your car?

On LCI models to reset the next service mileage and date:
1. Insert your key fob.
2. Press the Start button but don't turn the ignition on (foot off the brake for auto or clutch for 6MT)
3. Once the xmas light show and dongs are done, press on the brake and hold the trip odometer reset for a few seconds until you will see the service menu on the dash
4. Use your stalk to navigate the service menu, use BC button to select an item you want to reset - press and hold BC button once you see the RESET option for a service item you selected.
__________________
BMW CCA Member 454031
Save the manuals

Last edited by lqaddict; 04-02-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
EmmaLove EmmaLove is offline
Registered User
Location: LosAngeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
What year is your car?
2007 328i but would it mess up other due dates if i reset it myself?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 667
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLove View Post
2007 328i but would it mess up other due dates if i reset it myself?
No. Whoever told you that is a moron and is spewing typical "Only do maintenance here or your car will explode when you turn it on" crap.

If it's an iDrive based car, just push the knob in when on the main menu, then go to Service Interval, and reset it.

Hell, you even get to PICK THE DATE for this particular reset. I like to reset mine to my birthday every year, as that's when I go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and make sure everything's ready for the inspection.
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
lqaddict's Avatar
lqaddict lqaddict is online now
Salz und Pfeffer
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 943
Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLove View Post
2007 328i but would it mess up other due dates if i reset it myself?
The service menu has submenues for different items that fall under the service - oil, brakes, etc.
It's just a matter of navigating to the proper submenu to reset that particular item.
__________________
BMW CCA Member 454031
Save the manuals
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Wihelm G Wihelm G is offline
California ber Alles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 855
Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT



Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLove View Post
My another question is, I got the oil changed but the reminder service date is not updated. The guy at the shop said, it's not a good idea to manually change the date outside the dealer, it might mess up the other due dates. Is it true?
Mostly not true. Ok, it's possible you could mess up the other service reminders. It's possible you could put too much air in your tires or put gasoline in your crankcase, too, I suppose. If you're reasonably attentive, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're worried about it, write down the existing service reminders before you attempt the reset. The oil service reminder reset should have been included in the oil service.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM
EmmaLove EmmaLove is offline
Registered User
Location: LosAngeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post





Mostly not true. Ok, it's possible you could mess up the other service reminders. It's possible you could put too much air in your tires or put gasoline in your crankcase, too, I suppose. If you're reasonably attentive, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're worried about it, write down the existing service reminders before you attempt the reset. The oil service reminder reset should have been included in the oil service.
Thank you again for the video! Was so easy! =)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
EmmaLove EmmaLove is offline
Registered User
Location: LosAngeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
No. Whoever told you that is a moron and is spewing typical "Only do maintenance here or your car will explode when you turn it on" crap.
Thanks you for the info! Well, clear that the knowledge is a power, I totally believed him and thanked him. =) Haha I know better.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
EmmaLove EmmaLove is offline
Registered User
Location: LosAngeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post

On LCI models to reset the next service mileage and date:
1. Insert your key fob.
2. Press the Start button but don't turn the ignition on (foot off the brake for auto or clutch for 6MT)
3. Once the xmas light show and dongs are done, press on the brake and hold the trip odometer reset for a few seconds until you will see the service menu on the dash
4. Use your stalk to navigate the service menu, use BC button to select an item you want to reset - press and hold BC button once you see the RESET option for a service item you selected.
Thank you for the instruction! =)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Skyward Skyward is offline
Registered User
Location: East coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2007 3 series
That was great. I had only driven 10,000 on my brake fluid Had the oil changed at the dealer. Said no thanks to the brake fluid job. He said fine but he wouldn't reset the service light. What a jerk. BMW This might be my one and only BMW Porsche next. I will try and reset the date. My RED service light comes on when I drive the car.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is offline
Winding up the M235xi
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,623
Mein Auto: 2015 M235xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
That was great. I had only driven 10,000 on my brake fluid Had the oil changed at the dealer. Said no thanks to the brake fluid job. He said fine but he wouldn't reset the service light. What a jerk. BMW This might be my one and only BMW Porsche next. I will try and reset the date. My RED service light comes on when I drive the car.
Well, doing the brake fluid every 2 years is a good idea regardless of mileage. The fluid is hygroscopic, and the change is time based unless you have been really hard on the fluid (by tracking it, as an example).
__________________
2015 M235xi coupe, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather, Fineline Stream trim, Steptronic, xDrive, ZPP, ZTP, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, 5DP, hk audio, Enhanced BT
Ordered 3/12/15, Off the line 4/7/15, Delivered 5/14/15




Prior 40 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM
valerio valerio is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancovuer, BC
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328 I Coupe
Vehicle Check Reset Date

I have a 2011 328IX and I changed my oil and that was fine but when I went to change the
vehicle check reset in jumped to 07,2016. Would this be normal that this service is req'd
only two years.
I have 32,000Km and it went up to 48,000km.

Based on this can the system increase setting beyond a year and if so how to you backdate?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Guyto Guyto is offline
Registered User
Location: Aylmer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 328 xdrive BMW
I am in the same situation with my 2011 328 Xdrive. Just had it services and now it says the next one will be in 2016. The dealer told me is not a problem... Anyway, I am planning to have a service every 6 months (10 000Kms).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 PM
valerio valerio is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancovuer, BC
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328 I Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyto View Post
I am in the same situation with my 2011 328 Xdrive. Just had it services and now it says the next one will be in 2016. The dealer told me is not a problem... Anyway, I am planning to have a service every 6 months (10 000Kms).

What oil are you using that you require to change it that soon?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Guyto Guyto is offline
Registered User
Location: Aylmer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 328 xdrive BMW
I am using BMW' ol, the service is zone by a dealer. The Association of car's owners where I live recommends to change the oil/filter every 6 months even if BMW says 1 year. Just playing safe ...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-13-2015, 11:29 PM
bugdoctor bugdoctor is offline
Registered User
Location: Jeddah
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 328i (F30)
Hi, any leads on how to reset service reminder on F30? I got my oil change done from a local workshop and he couldn't fix it. How can I do it manually?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Guyto Guyto is offline
Registered User
Location: Aylmer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 328 xdrive BMW
It is pretty simple on the 328 model (2011). I don't know if it is the same on others.
Maybe this video can help.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2015, 11:30 PM
bugdoctor bugdoctor is offline
Registered User
Location: Jeddah
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 328i (F30)
Can you please share the link again
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-16-2015, 06:25 AM
Guyto Guyto is offline
Registered User
Location: Aylmer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 328 xdrive BMW
Here it is.


Hope that will help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms