Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Durkis Durkis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: X3 35i
Difference from the 28i to 35i engines ?

Hey All...

Went today to the dealer to start the process.

I wanted to test drive the 35i, but they had none in stock. I was only able to test drive the 28i. The CA, said that he thought it was not necessary, and mostly what he sells is the 28i. (Thinking in my head that the bulk of dealer stock orders are prob 28i) So I took that with a grain of salt.

So my question for those that have test drove both.

How is the difference in acceleration ? I must say the 28i wasn't terribly bad, but it left some to be desired.

Now this will be my wife's primary car, with me driving only when we go some where together. But, I know when I get behind that wheel I will want some "Kick" when I push that peddle !

Whats your thoughts ??
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Big W Big W is offline
Registered User
Location: around
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
if what you're looking for is what you say then you should go with the 35i and not look back
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: Potomac, Maryland
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,388
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I had a similar experience when I tried to test an X3 35i no one had a 35i. The repeated excuse I was told was that the 28i was nearly as good and the 35i was pricey. I did drive a base X3 28i which I found to be unsatisfying I am 6 2 210 lbs. and I found the seats to be uncomfortable and lacking support. The dealership had a 28i M Sport available that had terrific sport seats, a great steering wheel, and featured a number of other appealing M inspired mods. Although the 28i offered spirited performance I was put off by the initial vibration when starting but that is probably just an excuse. The real reason? - I do not like the idea of a four cylinder engine generally, especially in a sports oriented SAV costing more than $50K.

The three critical options that I would say are essential and transformational beyond Nav/Tech are;

-The larger engine 35i 0- 60 in 5.3 seconds (Motor Trend) is equal to the 335i. Moreover, the X3 35i M Sport is faster than a Porsche CayenneS and matches the CayenneGTS - this is impressive. Besides impressive - it is just flat out fun!

-M Sport gives you essential sport seats, great M Steering Wheel, great looking 19 wheels, and other nice M tweaks. I am not certain if the very sporty exhaust of my car is part of the M Sport package or is just a feature of the 35i engine but you want it!

-DHP I was on the fence about this one since I could not find a car at any dealer that had this feature and added it after I ordered the car initially. My experience with other BMWs has taught me that this is a critical option. The variable sport EPS, albeit not my M3, is communicative and offers very nice feel. Moreover, while I appreciate the compliant ride that the comfort mode offers, I find that sport and sport+ conjures up the sport sedan DNA lurking within the X3s bones.

The X3 35i M Sport is not only an impressive athletic fun vehicle, but a great BMW.
__________________
BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Durkis Durkis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: X3 35i
Capobranco... I appreciate the review... I took would love the M package... However... The wife is stuck on Sparkling Bronze, and they dont offer the M package with bronze !!!

Basically im tossed between the 28 and 35, Since it wont be my daily driver, I may just go with the 28, and when I drive, throw it in sport mode. When I test drove the 28 in sport it wasnt too bad, not really what I was looking for but its about a 5K savings.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 AM
xDriven xDriven is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i
I was expecting to get a 28i but ended up with a 35i. My use is similar to you - it is primarily my wife's car but I drive it when we drive somewhere together, which is still pretty often. We bought the 35i mainly because it was the only X3 on the dealer lot optioned the way my wife wanted it and the deal fell nicely into place. It was also the only X3 they had in her preferred color.

Unfortunately, our 35i has been in the shop much of the past three weeks due to a transmission problem. The dealer gave me a 28i for a loaner for the first week and i have to say I was pretty impressed with it. The acceleration seemed peppier from a start compared to my 35i (noticed by my wife as well). I can't rule this out to being caused by my transmission problems though.

Bottom line: My wife would have been fine with a 28i as her daily driver in suburban and freeway driving. For us, I'm guessing the difference between the two would likely show more when the car is fully loaded with passengers in the backseat and cargo - we didn't get to test that scenario. The 35i just has a certain strength and smoothness to it though and I'm still glad to have that engine.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Hardrada Hardrada is offline
warlord with a mom-mobile
Location: Reston Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
I have the 28i.

The best way to put it is I have never been "dissatisfied" by the engine in the 28i but have never been truly "satisfied" either. I've decided the 28i fits into a no-man's-land between "weak" and "fun", not weak enough to criticize and not fun enough to fall in love with. If I had never had BMW' with 6's and 8's, I think I would have been very content. But I know what a powerful BMW feels like, and the 28i is not one.

I thought I'd save the 5 grand, and I don't much regret saving the 5 grand and giving up the power it would've bought, but if I was starting over with a clean piece of paper, I'd probably get the 35i.
__________________
2013 X3 28i
1997 Merc C280 Sport

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 AM
noka noka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
I have the 28i.

The best way to put it is I have never been "dissatisfied" by the engine in the 28i but have never been truly "satisfied" either. I've decided the 28i fits into a no-man's-land between "weak" and "fun", not weak enough to criticize and not fun enough to fall in love with. If I had never had BMW' with 6's and 8's, I think I would have been very content. But I know what a powerful BMW feels like, and the 28i is not one.

I thought I'd save the 5 grand, and I don't much regret saving the 5 grand and giving up the power it would've bought, but if I was starting over with a clean piece of paper, I'd probably get the 35i.
I forget the pricing now when I purchased mine but I thought that depending on what options you wanted, with some some being included in the base price, the $5K gap was reduced. I could be wrong and didn't go back to verify this thought.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired:'09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, 01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i, ..., '86 4000CS Quattro, ... too many to list
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Hardrada Hardrada is offline
warlord with a mom-mobile
Location: Reston Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
I forget the pricing now when I purchased mine but I thought that depending on what options you wanted, with some some being included in the base price, the $5K gap was reduced. I could be wrong and didn't go back to verify this thought.
I'm pretty sure you're right about that. I've seen figures as low as $2700 or $3k when the comparo is truly apples to apples. In truth, if I'd known that it netted out to $3k or so once everything was normalized across options, I would've bought the 35i. And I think I would recommend to anyone who could afford it to go with the 35i. But having a 28i I am not unhappy with it.

One thing that's odd about the X3 is the quantity of approving looks and comments from passers-by. In 9 years of having my X5 I never got the # of people strolling over to chit chat about the vehicle as I have in the first two months of the X3. I get a lot of "I really want one of those" and "I love that car." Especially from neighbors. For some reason, this particular model is on the wish-list and radar screen of a lot of people. Could be because it's a bit more accessible price-wise, that is to say, an object of lust for non-BMW owners looking to take it up a notch, versus an M5 or something that they flat out cannot afford and therefore don't bother to pay any attention to -- who knows? Wish they weren't 3/4 women though LOL
__________________
2013 X3 28i
1997 Merc C280 Sport

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
noka noka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
I'm pretty sure you're right about that. I've seen figures as low as $2700 or $3k when the comparo is truly apples to apples. In truth, if I'd known that it netted out to $3k or so once everything was normalized across options, I would've bought the 35i. And I think I would recommend to anyone who could afford it to go with the 35i. But having a 28i I am not unhappy with it.

One thing that's odd about the X3 is the quantity of approving looks and comments from passers-by. In 9 years of having my X5 I never got the # of people strolling over to chit chat about the vehicle as I have in the first two months of the X3. I get a lot of "I really want one of those" and "I love that car." Especially from neighbors. For some reason, this particular model is on the wish-list and radar screen of a lot of people. Could be because it's a bit more accessible price-wise, that is to say, an object of lust for non-BMW owners looking to take it up a notch, versus an M5 or something that they flat out cannot afford and therefore don't bother to pay any attention to -- who knows? Wish they weren't 3/4 women though LOL
For the difference of about 2 MPG and the price difference the way I had it optioned, I ended up going with the 35i but could have been happy with the 28i. Funny you mentioned M5. I had a couple of E39 M5's (which was quite the car in its day) but later models priced me out of that market, especially as I got older and focused more of my funds on retirement savings.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired:'09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, 01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i, ..., '86 4000CS Quattro, ... too many to list
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Hardrada Hardrada is offline
warlord with a mom-mobile
Location: Reston Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
For the difference of about 2 MPG and the price difference the way I had it optioned, I ended up going with the 35i but could have been happy with the 28i. Funny you mentioned M5. I had a couple of E39 M5's (which was quite the car in its day) but later models priced me out of that market, especially as I got older and focused more of my funds on retirement savings.
Agreed...the pricing has gone haywire. My X5 ran me $52,000 in 2002, and when I looked into getting a replacement X5 with the same option set (more or less) it was north of $80,000. (Which is pretty much how I got to the X3). I've owned a handful of really great BMWs over the years that were affordable when I got them, but are not really in my price range now. My E36 M3, which I loved like life itself, was $35,000. Like you, I'm heading toward heading toward starting to think about retirement, and I guess that exerts downward pressure on the price point at which too much pain is occurring. If I were 30 I'd probably get an X6. Those, I really dig.
__________________
2013 X3 28i
1997 Merc C280 Sport

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
pmacd55's Avatar
pmacd55 pmacd55 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 168
Mein Auto: whatever the Mrs doesn't
I went with the 28. I traded in a 2009 X3 and and the 28 felt the same as the 6 that was in the 2009 (except the 28 feels a lot smoother to me). For an SUV, I mean SAV, the 28 is plenty power for me and Sport and Sport + is a bonus. I put the 3-5k I saved into DHP and premium audio and never looked back. I too have to think about retirement but I'm putting off those thoughts until I replace my wifes 328xi ... we are thinking convertable but living in New Hampshire... well guess thats a discussion for another thread.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM
IAS IAS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 377
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
I got 28i also, I think it is overall very good SUV with that engine, if you want to compare with Porsche Cayenne S then 35i is very comparable with better price, for every day use 28i will be fine, I do recommend to test drive before spending the money on expensive purchase so there will not be buyer's regret.
__________________
2013 X3 XDrive28i Sapphire Black Premium Package, Technology Pack, CWP, SAT Radio, BMP APPS.
2013 328xi Mineral Gray, Moonroof, CWP
E90 2011
E90 2007
E46 2005
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM
lair12 lair12 is offline
Registered User
Location: Cary, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: X3 F25 M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
Hey All...

Went today to the dealer to start the process.

I wanted to test drive the 35i, but they had none in stock. I was only able to test drive the 28i. The CA, said that he thought it was not necessary, and mostly what he sells is the 28i. (Thinking in my head that the bulk of dealer stock orders are prob 28i) So I took that with a grain of salt.

So my question for those that have test drove both.

How is the difference in acceleration ? I must say the 28i wasn't terribly bad, but it left some to be desired.

Now this will be my wife's primary car, with me driving only when we go some where together. But, I know when I get behind that wheel I will want some "Kick" when I push that peddle !

Whats your thoughts ??
Only downside of N55 engine is really poor gas mileage. I get about 18 combined! A long way down from my last car which got 33 mpg all day long.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
GRPNBMW GRPNBMW is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: Soon x3 my 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
Agreed...the pricing has gone haywire. My X5 ran me $52,000 in 2002, and when I looked into getting a replacement X5 with the same option set (more or less) it was north of $80,000. (Which is pretty much how I got to the X3). I've owned a handful of really great BMWs over the years that were affordable when I got them, but are not really in my price range now. My E36 M3, which I loved like life itself, was $35,000. Like you, I'm heading toward heading toward starting to think about retirement, and I guess that exerts downward pressure on the price point at which too much pain is occurring. If I were 30 I'd probably get an X6. Those, I really dig.
Well the current x3 is actual the same size as the 02 x5. It has more hp/trq gets better mpg has loads more features. Not to mention the time value of money thing. I agree on the x6.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM
magahai magahai is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 3281
E90

in S or M mode the E90 has excellent response ... would wait until F30 is a "proven" product...good luck
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 966
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair12 View Post
Only downside of N55 engine is really poor gas mileage. I get about 18 combined! A long way down from my last car which got 33 mpg all day long.
Don't know why you are getting such crappy mileage. I have 12,500 miles on my 35i and get 22 around town and 28.5 on the highway and I tend to have a heavy foot!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM
lbjgh's Avatar
lbjgh lbjgh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North of Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 702
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Given the option I'd still get the 35i again.

I've driven the n55 six and the N20 four and although the six sounded much better the four had equal power and was much quieter at speed.

I found the N20 in sport mode comparable to the 35i in comfort mode. The 35i in sport mode is a rocket!

When you are spending $50-60K on a car what's another few grand to get the full BMW driving experience?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
If your are a Enthusiast You would want to definitely go with the N55
If you just a regular driver that wants good economy with a mix of performance, then go with the N20.
If you add the M-Spot Package, it would add more value to the car when it comes to resale time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 PM
falar falar is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 456
Mein Auto: '14 335i/'13 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Given the option I'd still get the 35i again.

I've driven the n55 six and the N20 four and although the six sounded much better the four had equal power and was much quieter at speed.

I found the N20 in sport mode comparable to the 35i in comfort mode. The 35i in sport mode is a rocket!

When you are spending $50-60K on a car what's another few grand to get the full BMW driving experience?
Agreed.

Just brought an X3 home Friday. It is really for the wife and she just wanted whatever was cheaper/got more MPG but I talked her into the 35i by virute of this:

Once you fully option out a 28i and 35i the price difference is much smaller since the 35i has a lot more standard features.

Once you are over 50k, whats 2-3k more? Get the full BMW performance experience.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
2625 2625 is offline
Registered User
Location: ontario
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: X1
If money is not the issue, you will have no regret for the 35i.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 PM
jdavid2 jdavid2 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: BMW 2011 X3 35i
I have a 35i and reeally like the extra power but I only get only 16 to 18 MPG in city driving and 22 to 25 on the highway. I've averaged about 20 MPG overall. I'm in Califonia though and we have specially formated gas due to environmental regulations which results in somewhat worse gas mileage than other states in the US. That being said, if you drive the car hard, you going to see your gas mileage go down more in the 35i than the 28i.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 AM
dudley07726 dudley07726 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Funny how in Consumers Reports that the X3 35i has a worse reliability record that the 28i (6 cyl version)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Durkis Durkis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: X3 35i
I must say, my original post has spurred quite the response. Just from a point of regrets, I think I will go with the 35i. I found a dealer about an hour away with one in stock, and might drive up there check it out first.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,554
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
Funny how in Consumers Reports that the X3 35i has a worse reliability record that the 28i (6 cyl version)
Consumer report is useless for cars, the N55 is a very reliable engine and most of the bugs has been work out already, the N20 however is still too new to have any sort of reliable long term records.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
I must say, my original post has spurred quite the response. Just from a point of regrets, I think I will go with the 35i. I found a dealer about an hour away with one in stock, and might drive up there check it out first.
Are you going to buy a used or new one?

If new, you might want to customize it. You definitely don't want a new x3 in their showroom because there is a lot missing from what the driver needs, basically it's like barebones.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms