Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
CBS--Oil Service Intervals CBS can Corrupt and Require Reprogramming

Hello folks,

For a few months I've had CBS oil change interval mileage reset itself or stay at very high mileage intervals inconsistent with my driving habits (based on my research of how CBS works). For any of you who come here with a similarly odd problem, don't just accept that it is CBS 'behavior' when your gut tells you otherwise...

I took my 328i (CPO with extended MP) in for the battery cable recall, and described the CBS behavior to my SA. He listened carefully, then commented that he had never heard of that behavior. I left assuming techs would shrug it off. A few hours later I got a call saying they needed to keep the car overnight in order to reprogram CBS--it was indeed corrupt. Turns out a service oil reset could not be performed via diags, so they looked deeper.

The service order states a PUMA case was opened, and it was covered, I didn't pay a dime. "Vehicle to be updated with programming/coding". I don't have more specifics than that. BMW also changed the oil, which was a nice touch given how many miles I had driven.

I have also had little oddball issues like sometimes cruise control would not set...highly intermittent behavior. Time will tell if that is resolved as well.

Anyway, I have seen occasional posts from people experiencing similar behavior, and I hope this encourages people to persist in getting it looked at.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerVette View Post
Hello folks,

For a few months I've had CBS oil change interval mileage reset itself or stay at very high mileage intervals inconsistent with my driving habits (based on my research of how CBS works). For any of you who come here with a similarly odd problem, don't just accept that it is CBS 'behavior' when your gut tells you otherwise...

I took my 328i (CPO with extended MP) in for the battery cable recall, and described the CBS behavior to my SA. He listened carefully, then commented that he had never heard of that behavior. I left assuming techs would shrug it off. A few hours later I got a call saying they needed to keep the car overnight in order to reprogram CBS--it was indeed corrupt. Turns out a service oil reset could not be performed via diags, so they looked deeper.

The service order states a PUMA case was opened, and it was covered, I didn't pay a dime. "Vehicle to be updated with programming/coding". I don't have more specifics than that. BMW also changed the oil, which was a nice touch given how many miles I had driven.

I have also had little oddball issues like sometimes cruise control would not set...highly intermittent behavior. Time will tell if that is resolved as well.

Anyway, I have seen occasional posts from people experiencing similar behavior, and I hope this encourages people to persist in getting it looked at.
Rather confused. We've heard of the CBS "resetting" the (oil service) mileage interval...that's what it's supposed to do if operating conditions change. Then we have the "mandatory" annual oil change.

Please explain further in more detail.

I don't know if it's pertinent to the topic, but I let my oil change go for slightly over a year with extremely low mileage (7K miles) on my car...the CBS said I wasn't ANYWHERE NEAR an oil change requirement.

Nevertheless, my dealer DEMANDED that I come in for an oil change.

My question to the SA was: "What's the use of the CBS system if it can't detect time and mileage on the car? Isn't that what it's supposed to do?"

No response. Quite frankly, I'm rather sure that modern synthetic oil under "low stress" of only local driving (NOT stop-and-go city driving) should be able to handle a "more than one year" change for "minimal" driving miles....JUST AS THE CBS SAYS IT SHOULD.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 04-02-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
In my case, at 66K (I bought the car at 44K), the dealer resetting CBS after an oil change showed 21K as the next interval. That's ridiculous, but I've read from people who know a lot more than me suggest that can be normal, so no worries, it will sort itself out over time. Sure enough, the interval went down to 16K, then one morning it reset to 21K. The other service intervals (i.e. coolant, brakes, etc.) did not seem out of whack.

Seeing 21K was a red flag right away, I never saw an interval like that after previous oil changes. Counting down 5K and resetting back to 21K, then counting down again is flat out screwed, but that's my opinion. Turns out it was indeed screwed. The oil change interval after reprogramming? 8K.

Your comment regarding it being confusing is exactly why I posted this---we've all read from either BMW documentation or BMW techs how it works, but in the end this experience validates my skepticism of trusting black box algorithms, especially during the period where BMW picks up the tab for routine maintenance. No one was more surprised than me to learn the bits and bytes were corrupt.