Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
MR. 645

Mein Auto: 04 645ci
M5??

My BMW 645 was stolen last month and I am thinking of replacing it with a 2010 M5 but want some feed back from current owners. It's between the 2010 M5 or 2009 750li.
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Welcome to bimmerfest, tough call. Moved you over to the M5 section.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
MR. 645

Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: M5
The E60 M5 is everything an M car should be. In my opinion, its way over most peoples heads as far as performance goes. They call it a beast because it is. If you enjoy driving, performance and something that is probably beyond most peoples skill level to drive hard, buy the M5 and you won't be dissapointed. People complain about the SMG being jerky. This is true until you learn how to drive it. I can drive mine as smooth as an automatic but it honestly took a few weeks. The V10 has incredible power especially in the upper rev range. You can get in trouble with this car very easily. It puts down the power very hard and very fast when stomped on. This is not to say the car can't be driven like any other. There are many variations in the idrive for throttle response, HP and suspension settings. You can dial the car back and it's almost 'normal'. Fuel economy is dismal. Figure about 10MPG on a good day. Maintenance is expensive. Just did oil change and 2 air filters at BMW for $433.00. As a daily driver, this car is expensive to own and maintain. As a performance sedan there nothing else like it for the money. I don't think you can really compare it to a 750li. That is a luxury sedan. The M5 is as they say a wolf in sheeps clothing. With the M5, either with SMG or fully manual trans, it is a complete performance package. You should drive one first and get a feel for it. Anyone can get in a 750 and go for a spin and say 'wow what a beautiful car' they wont say the same about the M5. People that buy it thinking it's just a top of the line 5 series are usually dissapointed. It is an M car and nothing like a run of the mill 5 series. Even the 550i does not have the SMG trans. I love to drive and love my M5. Also, do not buy this car without a warranty. It can be ridiclously expensive to fix. There are many threads on this. My best advice is to drive one first but keep in mind you have to kind of learn to drive this car. You can't really appreciate or get used to it on a 10 minute test drive. The 645 you had i believe is the inline 6 cyl. I had that motor in a 530i I just sold. Great cars, but nothing like an M5. Good luck and hope this helped.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM
MR. 645

Thanks for the info you are very knowledgable on the car. Like you said i test drove the vehicle but couldnt get a feel for it because i didnt know anything about the car. The car i was looking at was a 2010 with 51k but couldnt get the bmw cpo warranty because it just passed 50k. I really want the 2010 version because i hate the screen on the navigation on the 09 and older version. How often do you have to get a oil change and how often do you change your tires and on a average how much? i have read alot about the tires and oil. Thanks again for the info i cant wait to own the M5.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM

I would still buy an aftermarket warranty. A 2010 with 51K miles should be a fine car. Some of the older ones had issues with SMG pumps and VANOS oil lines. By 2010, to my knowledge these issues were all worked out. That being said, I would Still buy a warranty. BMW reccomends oil changes every 15K. I do it every 7500. The car comes with Michlein PS2's which is a high performance tire without much tread depth to start with. Its easy to spin the rear tires in this car and that's why you hear about people going through tires. Like I said, this car is a monster and can easily burn up rear tires in no time. When I was looking for an M5 I found a 2010 with 10K miles on it and Bald rear tires! I didn't buy it. If you don't abuse the car, it will last and thrill you every time you get in it. BMW will have the service records and should have no problem sharing them with you. I think they are great cars. Like I said you will get better at driving it. If you can or do drive a manual you will pick it up even faster. Remember the SMG has a clutch, just no clutch pedal. when you pull that paddle, its the same as clutching a manual. The trick with the SMG is to Shift first then lift off the throttle slightly. This will smooth out the shift. As soon as you feel the clutch engauge get back to the gas and it will be seamless. The higher you rev it out between shifts, the faster you will do this. It will come to you don't worry. Nothing else is an M5!! I say Go for it!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM
MR. 645

I really want to thank you for all the information. I am looking forward to mastering how to drive this vehicle. I am looking into good after market warranties now. Thanks for the tip on the driving also I didn't know how that worked. Once again thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM

Let me know what you buy and good luck!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
MR. 645

Thank you i am hoping to find a white 2010. Ill keep you posted
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Without a question the M5. How many sedans are there with a high revving NA V10? To me the E60 M5 is probably the coolest sedan ever! Get one now while you can. You can drive turbo V8s for the next hundred years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Db750 is right on. Nothing else is an E60 M5. We may never see the V10 again.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkieM5 View Post
Db750 is right on. Nothing else is an E60 M5. We may never see the V10 again.
Thanks Mark, I agree with you on all points as well.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Funny thing is I was looking originally for an M6 (see you have one) and came across an 06 M5 with 8k miles on it. Being the engine and drivetrain are identical, and having a 530i, the M5 started to grow on me. Once I drove it, I was sold. What really put me over the top was this car has the M6 wheels on it which kind of sets it apart from most other M5's you see. They told me the guy went for 4K as a dealer option to have the wheels changed when he bought the car. Don't know if thats true, but they are the factory BMW 5 spoke M6 wheel. Look very nice on the M5 but I must say, they fit the M6 perfectly.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkieM5 View Post
Funny thing is I was looking originally for an M6 (see you have one) and came across an 06 M5 with 8k miles on it. Being the engine and drivetrain are identical, and having a 530i, the M5 started to grow on me. Once I drove it, I was sold. What really put me over the top was this car has the M6 wheels on it which kind of sets it apart from most other M5's you see. They told me the guy went for 4K as a dealer option to have the wheels changed when he bought the car. Don't know if thats true, but they are the factory BMW 5 spoke M6 wheel. Look very nice on the M5 but I must say, they fit the M6 perfectly.
Haha, that's awesome! I was searching for an M5 for literally 8 plus months before I bought my M6. I had a 545i as my first BMW years ago and wanted to relive those days with the ultimate sedan. I had to have alpine white and it had to be an 08+. I ended up driving by a local M6 that was priced competitively with anything in the US. I had always loved the 6 series, but up until then I hadnt found an 08 anywhere near me that was in my price range.

That is amazing that you found an M5 with only 8k miles! The car is barely even broken in! I agree that the M6 wheels look great on the E60; in fact I see several E60's (non-M's) around town with these wheels and they always turn my head. The dealer was not lying to you. The wheels are very expensive lightweight forged wheels.

Are you on M5board?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Yes, I had been casually looking for a few months, not really ready to pull the trigger. Then I come across this 06' with 8K miles at a dealer in NJ and was like 'wow' this car is basically new. Turns out that one of the owners of the auto group that owned the dealership had it and it had been sitting in a parking garage in NYC with a cover on it for a few years. They said he came in one day and said 'Send a flatbed to my place and pick up the M5 and sell it'. When I went to see it, the salesman goes 'I just want to let you know before you see the car that the price is non-negotiatable' That's nice I thought. They were asking 50K. He goes, 'You would be basically getting a new car for 1/2 price' Which is true, [I]but its still an 06' I thought[I]. The car as expected was in perfect condition. I called my dealership on Long Island and they ran the VIN for me. My service manager goes 'Mark, this car has no service records other than the standard 1200 mile oil change for the M5, other than that, there's nothing'. Well after a lot of haggling and a $4500 fidelity aftermarket warranty, I bought the car. I got it for 49K + the warranty so for 53-5 I bought the M5. In that price range I could have easily gotten an 09 or 10 but I couldnt get past the 8K miles. Basically a new clutch, owned by a suit and tie, never really used in 5 years, Saphire Black metallic with portland brown interior a nice combination. The M6 wheels really sold it though because it looked different than most. Was it a good deal? I guess it would depend on who you talk to. The car runs great and I haven't had any problems with it. It is everything and more than I thought it would be. I love it and thats all that counts. I had the oil changed right after I got it just because I didn't know how long it had been sitting and the guys at my BMW were surprised also. The Tech goes 'This car is right out of the box' It's not my daily driver so I've only put like 2500 miles on it in about a year. It doesn't have all the options (does have HUD which is great) but I am happy with it and love to drive it. I think I would only get rid of it if I get the itch for the new F10 which I'm not really crazy about. Don't really like the styling but that's just me. Anyway that's my M5 story and I think I was on the M5 board at one time but I really don't remember.