Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
does the M-Sport indeed have a special handling programming that is unique to it?

There was a review of the X1 Xdrive35, and only recall only seeing it in one, that had stated the M-Sport has a special programming in it that routes 80% of the torque to the rear wheels, and engages the brakes on the inner wheel(s) to help it turn better/faster...

A) Is this indeed the case?
B) Does one indeed need to purchase M-Sport to get this? Sport line does not?

Thanx for any informed replies...
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
A) Yes
B) Yes

Does not apply to sDrive vehicles for obvious reasons.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM
New BMW Client Advisor

Mein Auto: M235i. When it comes out.
Edit: I'm mistaken. Nospam is correct regarding what your describing. I was thinking of xdrive in general. That's why i'm here; To learn as much **** as I can before starting at BMW as a client advisor this June/July. Newish to bmw's but not cars.

No you do not need thesport package for this to occur. You are describing any xdrive system on a BMW.X Drive provides variable torque split between the front and rear axles through the use of a multi-plate wet clutch located in the gearbox on the output to the front drive shaft. This setup allows xDrive to modulate the torque split between the front and the rear axles, which is normally split at 40:60 ratio. If wheel slip is detected by the ABS/DSC system, xDrive can react within a tenth of a second to redistribute up to 100% of the engine power to the front or rear axle.[1] The wet clutch is applied through a high speed electric servo motor turning a cam shaped actuator disc.
xDrive is connected to the ABS and DSC systems. In the case that wheelspin or directional instability still occurs while xDrive is or has been modulating the torque split, DSC will brake independent wheels to regain traction and improve directional stability without driver intervention.
The front and rear differentials in xDrive vehicles are an open differential design, thus relying on brake application by the DSC system to transfer power from the slipping wheel to the wheel with traction.

One of the ways for people to understand it, is picturing a child running on hard wood floor with socks on. When he goes to make a quick turn he will keep going forward and slide. We all know that in order to prevent this as kids, we could grab onto the stair banister with one arm while running and still propel ourselves around the turn without sliding out. This is basically Xdrive. It sends power to the three outside wheels and locks the front inner wheel (or different variations, depending on direction) in order to make the car turn without sliding out.

Last edited by BMWSalesGuyFL; 04-03-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 PM

I can only speak to the 2013 X1 and X3 xDrive M Sport packages but I can't see why the 2014 would be any different. The M Sport is the only model that features a sports suspension and the xDrive models get the Performance Control option which features a 80:20 rear bias (60:40 for standard xDrives) as well as a simplified version of the X6's torque vectoring "Dynamic" Performance Control when cornering.

BMW X1 Driving Review Round Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
2013 BMW X1 Complete US Details

....As a means of sharpening the handling character, the X1 xDrive28i and xDrive35i get Performance Control as part of the available M Sport Package. Performance Control helps the X1 xDrive35i maintain a more neutral handling character by adjusting the xDrive torque split to 20% front/80% rear in steady state cornering. Performance Control can also apply the inside rear brake while also applying a little more power to the outside wheel (to compensate for the additional drag of the brake) in order to help rotate the vehicle....
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/18/2...-review-video/
Quote:
The temptation is strong to get the costlier M Sport Line trim package that lowers the X1 chassis, gives it a more rigid suspension, and ups the thresholds of the Dynamic Stability Control suite of drive tools. In fact, another new feature is called Performance Control that works via the DSC. In this setup, the default torque split between front and rear axles during steady state cornering becomes 20-percent front and 80-percent rear. A type of torque vectoring also occurs, braking the inner rear wheel and giving light throttle to the outer to better get through the curves.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...1_first_drive/
Quote:
Couple xDrive with the M Sport package, and it gets a special performance programming algorithm that sends 80 percent of the torque to the rear during cornering, with a bit of braking to the inside wheel shunting torque outward to help rotate the car and ward off the understeer we felt in the rear-driver.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSalesGuyFL View Post
No you do not need thesport package for this to occur. You are describing any xdrive system on a BMW.X Drive provides variable torque split between the front and rear axles through the use of a multi-plate wet clutch located in the gearbox on the output to the front drive shaft. This setup allows xDrive to modulate the torque split between the front and the rear axles, which is normally split at 40:60 ratio. If wheel slip is detected by the ABS/DSC system, xDrive can react within a tenth of a second to redistribute up to 100% of the engine power to the front or rear axle.[1] The wet clutch is applied through a high speed electric servo motor turning a cam shaped actuator disc.
xDrive is connected to the ABS and DSC systems. In the case that wheelspin or directional instability still occurs while xDrive is or has been modulating the torque split, DSC will brake independent wheels to regain traction and improve directional stability without driver intervention.
The front and rear differentials in xDrive vehicles are an open differential design, thus relying on brake application by the DSC system to transfer power from the slipping wheel to the wheel with traction.

One of the ways for people to understand it, is picturing a child running on hard wood floor with socks on. When he goes to make a quick turn he will keep going forward and slide. We all know that in order to prevent this as kids, we could grab onto the stair banister with one arm while running and still propel ourselves around the turn without sliding out. This is basically Xdrive. It sends power to the three outside wheels and locks the front inner wheel (or different variations, depending on direction) in order to make the car turn without sliding out.
What dealership do you work for?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Apparently Performance Control is a low-cost option in Australia and possibly other countries. However, you must buy the M Sport package to get it here in the US. Since it is just software programming it can probably be coded by those with the proper expertise & equipment (not the dealer).
Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
The X6's dynamic performance control is done with actual clutch control per wheel rather than a dumbed down version of using brakes that the X1 uses. The two aren't really even in the same ballpark for technology or handling from what I've read.

If anyone can do a comparison of an X1 with and without the M-sport performance control it would be interesting to known how much of a difference there really is. As I've mentioned before, there seems to be a speed range where this works and no one has been able to quantify "how good it is" so personally I find it mainly marketing hype for the moment. The information out there also indicates it's a software setting on the X1 (and actual clutches on the X6) and there's a pretty good chance that when coding becomes available for the X1 this will be a simple checkbox to enable on any X1, if it's even worth enabling.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 AM

While the X1 is not in the same technological ballpark as the X6 I believe the X1 out handles the X6 due to size, weight, height, etc. There is an owner here or on bimmerpost that moved from the X6 to the X1 and testified to this.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Necro'ing this thread instead of making another:

Has anyone found out if this programming change can be made to non-M sport lines?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
No word yet, though I've heard the E92 Alpina transmission coding can't be done on the X1, even though most all other E92 coding options do work.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSalesGuyFL View Post
Edit: I'm mistaken. Nospam is correct regarding what your describing. I was thinking of xdrive in general. That's why i'm here; To learn as much **** as I can before starting at BMW as a client advisor this June/July. Newish to bmw's but not cars.

this is how xDrive works on all cars the only diffrence on the M-sport is the 20:80 split, in my opinion not worth the cost if you buy a 35i, you really dont need it.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9610 View Post
this is how xDrive works on all cars the only diffrence on the M-sport is the 20:80 split, in my opinion not worth the cost if you buy a 35i, you really dont need it.
I really want to see a side-by-side comparison of the two, perhaps both running a slalom course or something. Of course that is a bit fantastical to hope for.

Does anyone know if the difference exists for the 328ix M-Sport? Getting the 3 series guys into it would really broaden the pool of resources available.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
I really want to see a side-by-side comparison of the two, perhaps both running a slalom course or something. Of course that is a bit fantastical to hope for.

Does anyone know if the difference exists for the 328ix M-Sport? Getting the 3 series guys into it would really broaden the pool of resources available.
The X3 M-Sport option is the same I believe.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
The X3 M-Sport option is the same I believe.
Yes, when I test drove an X3 M Sport fully optioned 2014, it had the same feel as the X1 M Sport - loved that turns it can do and feel as if it was on rails.

The only thing I did not like about the X3 was steering was soft and non feedback giving due to the electric steering.

The X1 had the very familiar E90 feel - heavy, stiffer, feedback from the road feel !
Old 10-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
If I could offer a belated offering to this interesting thread, I wanted to point out that Performance Control for the X3 is not an exclusive feature of the MSport package: it is also included in the Dynamic Handling package. If you get both packages, BMW acknowledges the overlap by giving a $100 discount.

DHP includes three components: 1) Dynamic dampers (the only suspension upgrade offered in the US for the X3); 2) Variable Sport Steering which provides progressively more direct steering as the steering wheel is turned further, so that it is more immediately responsive on winding roads, or when cornering hard; and 3) Performance Control, which provides enhanced traction on curves by dynamically shifting more power to the rear wheels, and if necessary providing some braking to the inside wheel. DHP is a really great addition, though dealerships never seem to have a DHP-equipped X3 for test driving. By comparison, the X3 MSport package is largely lipstick. e.g., unlike the X1, it comes with the standard suspension.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the input, interesting what is a cosmetic line and what isn't....and kind of strange tbh

Last edited by Yggdrasil; 10-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.