Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
E93 Square Washer fell out of convertible roof

Through false of habit I raised my roof backed right up to an interior wall a few weeks ago (was putting on my four post lift for storage while I drive another car)

Good news is that the car detects + stops the roof. There is only the tiniest and marring on the paint (will buff out with just a cloth and fine polish)

Unfortunately when using the car again I noticed this washer had fallen down on the far right side cover (above the battery). Obviously it came from the roof mechanism. After a long time looking I could not figure out precisely where it came from.

The roof operates fine but does have a slight bang sometimes; am not sure if it was there before. My guess is that this is factory installed shim. Hopefully someone can tell me where it goes. At this point I don't want to take to the dealership as I really don't trust them not to screw something else up (they broke both vanity lights mounts last time touching the roof and I have to pay out of my pocket for new ones...).

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 04-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
You might look at realoem.com to pull up the parts diagram for the roof and see if it shows where that part is used; might help identify where it came from.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
You might look at realoem.com to pull up the parts diagram for the roof and see if it shows where that part is used; might help identify where it came from.
Good idea, which I had not done.. Just looked and that washer it does seem to be listed/shown as a part. Later I'll analyze the pics for longer and see if I can figure out where it might go.. obviously it's in a part that extends when the trunk lid is raising.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
MP3_E46,

There are a couple of places where the arms (bows) of the top fold against each other that have rubber "bumpers" to keep things from banging when the top is opened. I had a retangular one come unglued about 9 months into ownership. With 4 people standing around the car peering at the mechanism while one person actuated the top repetitively, the shop foreman at my dealership finally spotted the culprit. That part looks like it could be such an animal. When I get home from work I'll take a look-see and see if I can spot it.

Bummer about you opening the top into garage wall.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335ic
Looks like a shim of some sort
Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin View Post
Looks like a shim of some sort
Yup, I am sure it's a shim installed to meet tolerances at the factory. Looks like the glue failed and it fell out when not under tension

Nordic_Kat: Thanks greatly. No rush, but if you could eyeball it when you have time that would be great. A long day and being so used to my procedure putting my Miata on the lift are to blame.. it's easier to get close to the wall with the roof lowered. Habit and tiredness overcame brains when closing it... could have been much worse

Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Yup, I am sure it's a shim installed to meet tolerances at the factory. Looks like the glue failed and it fell out when not under tension

Nordic_Kat: Thanks greatly. No rush, but if you could eyeball it when you have time that would be great. A long day and being so used to my procedure putting my Miata on the lift are to blame.. it's easier to get close to the wall with the roof lowered. Habit and tiredness overcame brains when closing it... could have been much worse
Did a cursory look tonight, but in bad light.... Couldn't pinpoint anything obvious. Better Half gets the car tomorrow and I get to take his MB to work as when I had the Battery Cable recall done they disabled my V1. On his agenda tomorrow is to reconnect it. When he has it in the garage with the big door open and full light I'll have him re-examine the trunk area. I am presuming that the bumper piece got dislodged when the trunk member folded back and encountered the wall? There is no physical way the top members could have been involved. Now I need to go back and look at archived pics to see if I can find the comparo pic when the 'bumper' on my top dislodged.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Did a cursory look tonight, but in bad light.... Couldn't pinpoint anything obvious. Better Half gets the car tomorrow and I get to take his MB to work as when I had the Battery Cable recall done they disabled my V1. On his agenda tomorrow is to reconnect it. When he has it in the garage with the big door open and full light I'll have him re-examine the trunk area. I am presuming that the bumper piece got dislodged when the trunk member folded back and encountered the wall? There is no physical way the top members could have been involved. Now I need to go back and look at archived pics to see if I can find the comparo pic when the 'bumper' on my top dislodged.
Yup it can only be the be stage that lifts the trunk. While using the car today I listened and slight clunk/bang happens when the trunk lid closes so I'm now more keen in figuring out where it goes. I'll look again for a matching washer/shim one on the other side tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Since I have a E93 too, would be nice to see where this puppy belongs ...
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
My guess is that this is factory installed shim. Hopefully someone can tell me where it goes.

HERE are some illustrations....didn't see the part.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

OP Here. I found it in 10 seconds next time I looked! Sleeping on problems really helps

There are bunch in between the roof mechanism and trunk lid. I put mine back where it came from and the clunk is gone/ much quieter now

The pics show similar washers and I circled in red where this one fell out of.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
^^ Your car must have been built during Oktoberfest :-p

Thanks for relaying that back. I didn't think bolts would get loose in this thing. I have 3 months left of factory warranty, so it would probably be a good idea to check everything. Did you apply threadlock?

Last edited by unrealii; 04-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
^^ Your car must have been built during Oktoberfest :-p

Thanks for relaying that back. I didn't think bolts would get loose in this thing. I have 3 months left of factory warranty, so it would probably be a good idea to check everything. Did you apply threadlock?
Am unsure what the torque of those nuts should be but IMO the were loose. Am kinda scared to mess with much to do with the top but I turned almost all of them a fraction of a turn to be what I consider 'snug hand-tight'. They were really easy to turn, not a hint of threadlock. I did not apply thread lock but might go back and do that.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well from seeing the green paint marks it appears that would be the indication or Checking procedure from the factory that the nuts were tightened, one actually has a reference mark on the body metal, that would show if the nut actually loosened, I would get some lock tite and put a drop on each thread, I think it would seep into the nut, I think I will check mine today just for grins and giggles

Hondo
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
well from seeing the green paint marks it appears that would be the indication or Checking procedure from the factory that the nuts were tightened, one actually has a reference mark on the body metal, that would show if the nut actually loosened, I would get some lock tite and put a drop on each thread, I think it would seep into the nut, I think I will check mine today just for grins and giggles

Hondo
It's possible my trunk's sheet metal twisted ever-so-slightly, but all panels line up fine.

Think I'll syringe some blue threadlock in them soon.