Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
Potential X1 buyer looking for feedback

EDIT: It's here:
[IMG][/IMG]
Got it Friday, spent Saturday polishing and opti-coating.

Hi, I've been browsing your forums for a few days, and I'm impressed with the information and overall maturity level. I'm a frustrated premium hatchback fan looking for a replacement for my c30, and I'm turning to the crossover market to fill in for the disappearing (in USA) all wheel drive hatchback market. I was researching Audi's Q3, and that in the quattro tdi model would be my first choice depending on availability and price, but the BMW X1 kept coming up as a comparison model, and after looking into it a bit more, it's quite tempting. Yesterday, coming home from the hospital, I stopped by a BMW dealership and looked at a few, but I can't drive for a while, so I could test drive one.

Searching has gotten me some good info, but there are some questions I'd rather just ask owners directly.

1. Can someone from a hot\humid climate comment on the AC's performance? My biggest problem with my last two cars is that their ACs just weren't up to south Texas summer standards, and I don't like showing up with a sweaty back.

UPDATE: Performance is fine, but there's a committee meeting of the computer and sensors every time you start the car before it comes on.

2. I've never driven on run flat tires, but refinement is a higher priority this time around. From searching, it seems if I get a 2014, I will have to get 18" wheels to get steering wheal paddle shifters, and I'm wondering how much tire roar\road noise they transmit. The oil boom hasn't been as kind to the highways as it has to the jobs market, and on I37 between Corpus Christi and San Antonio, the road noise drowns out half the instruments in Led Zepplin's band in my current car.

UPDATE: They're fine. There is some wind noise, but overall quite pleasant considering how bad that road is.

3. What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with xdrive? According to wikipedia, the center differential defaults a portion of the torque to the front axle which seems like it could cost a few miles on the gallon.

UPDATE: Hills and even a slight head wind drastically affect the computer's estimates. This car probably has too much drag and weight to hit its EPA marks in real world driving.

4. I've found a few threads about throttle lag, and I'd like to know how wide spread a problem this is. Are all X1s doing it, or is it an isolated issue?

UPDATE: Haven't noticed.
5. This may be an inappropriate question, but does anyone know anything about Q3 pricing or availability in the USA? My google searches either turn up something from September 2012, or something about the concept Q3 RS neither of which tells me when\if I can buy a Q3 tdi quattro.

UPDATE: I don't really care anymore...
Sorry if this was less than coherent, I just had some hernia's repaired so I'm a bit doped up on hydrocotine

UPDATE: I'm feeling a lot better but still not 100% I'm running again, but haven't gone back to heavy lifting yet.

Last edited by annoyingmouse; 05-29-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RSX
I spoke to an Audi Rep at the NY Auto Show. The Q3 is supposed to come to North America but seems like its being delayed. They said it looks like a 2014 release, which was planned, is looking unlikely and probably going to be a 2015. Again, this is word of mouth, but the Audi rep at the show said that they are nowhere close to coming with a release date. Since a 2014 MY release would most likely mean no later than Oct/Nov 2013, the date is quickly approaching and I doubt you will see it soon. I was sad to hear it because I really wanted to take a look at the Q3!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
I haven't used a/c yet just heat in nj.
On mileage I have been getting low 20's in city and 28-30 on highway after breakin
And the ambient temp has still been cold here. I expect better when temperature improves. Eventually
It handles great and drives well. I don't feel any negative ride or noise from run flats
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
I didn't get mine until October, so a/c not used yet in Chicago, nor have I gotten on a full throttle. But all the snow has melted , so i will need to see exactly what my baby bimmer does. I'm averaging nearly 24 mpg. Chicago Summers are hot an humid, so I'm really hoping the air works as well as the heater does! I don't detect any tire noise either.

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the replies, it looks like this car hasn't been around long enough for anyone to have owned one for a summer. After all the googling I've done the last few days on the AC issue, I guess I'll just have to test drive on a hot day and pick one that's been parked in the sun. I've seen lots of reports of 1, 3, x1 and x3 series only have "cool" but not 'cold' climate control.

Considering how much buzz the Audi a3 is getting a year before arrival, I suppose it's easy to believe that the Q3 is nowhere close. I think I'd have much more fun with the BMW anyway, but the diesel + front biased all-wheel-drive of the Audi does sound very practical. I've only ever driven one BMW (1998 3 series), and it amazed me how perfect the steering feel, brake feedback and driving position were, and that's supposedly their reputation with all their cars.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
1. Can someone from a hot\humid climate comment on the AC's performance? My biggest problem with my last two cars is that their ACs just weren't up to south Texas summer standards, and I don't like showing up with a sweaty back.
While where I live and test drove the BMW, Audi, Mercs, etc has been cold I have tested the heating and cooling. The BMW and Audi pretty much are in similar boats. The difference for cooling will be for the passengers in the back seat. With the leather interior you may want to look at starting the car and letting it cool for a bit first before getting in. I've been in Corpus where you are and I can tell you that tropical climate is like Louisiana or Florida. It is a living B*@ch, so I feel you. You may want to look at a Kia or another SUV with ventilated front seats. The leather in both the Audi and BMW may make you sweat even if the cabin is around 65.

Quote:
2. I've never driven on run flat tires, but refinement is a higher priority this time around. From searching, it seems if I get a 2014, I will have to get 18" wheels to get steering wheal paddle shifters, and I'm wondering how much tire roar\road noise they transmit. The oil boom hasn't been as kind to the highways as it has to the jobs market, and on I37 between Corpus Christi and San Antonio, the road noise drowns out half the instruments in Led Zepplin's band in my current car.
I'm not sure how important the paddle shifters are to you, but from driving with them in the past I've found them to be more of a weekend novelty than an every day driving experience. Then again, I am very much and old school clutch and short throw guy myself. With RTFs you will get more road noise than if you have something with a little more bounce/cushion. The BMW is relatively quiet and the road noise is minimal under 65 compared to say the Audi or Nissans. You will find the best option is if you want the paddle shifters is to see if the dealer can swap out for a different set of tires, or do so yourself. With that said, I didn't bring a decibel reader into the car with me so my tests are not as scientific as the could be. What I did is bring a friend with me and had them drive while I sat in the front and rear passenger seats so I could get the full experience. I know this sounds crazy since I'm going to be the primary driver, but I wanted to know what the passengers are going to experience. With the MSport and stiffer suspension you do get more transference in the back, but as far as listening to music the sound system is pretty good. You can always (and I recommend) upgrading to the better sound system. You won't have to turn up the music as much to get the full experience of the music from the Beemer's speakers. This is another topic though for the Audiophiles that like extra base or tune the EQ to the back a bit, or . well you get the drift.

Quote:
3. What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with xdrive? According to wikipedia, the center differential defaults a portion of the torque to the front axle which seems like it could cost a few miles on the gallon.
Sorry to say but the BMW won't get the same gas mileage as the TDI. Diesel usually rocks (unless it's the Touareg) when it comes to mileage. If this is a priority for you then it won't compare. With that said, I've driven diesel. The biggest complaint for this is heat (slow to warm up and if driven hard heat up fast) and location of purchasing. If you travel, you will find that not all stations offer diesel and sometimes they only offer certain diesel. Where I am located there are only three stations in a 35 mile area that offer diesel that I have been able to successfully find. With that said highway driving I am reaching roughly around 31-37 mpg. City driving I am getting close to 25-26. I still haven't broken the 2,500 so I am driving like an old lady most of the time. Sometimes however I just can't help but to speed. I expect my mileage to drop once the break in period passes just due to my nature.

Quote:
4. I've found a few threads about throttle lag, and I'd like to know how wide spread a problem this is. Are all X1s doing it, or is it an isolated issue?
I haven't noticed it yet on mine. With that said, I am not trying to drop a pound of rubber on the asphalt from launch. YMMV but the throttle lag comes from in my opinion, people over estimating their reaction times and expecting the vehicle to over compensate for it in some instances. In other instances it is legit and you can notice it. Like I said even on a hill stop I don't notice it. Test driving other vehicles (Mazda Cx5 comes to mind as well as the Nissan Rogue) the throttle lag was noticeable especially on hills.

Quote:
5. This may be an inappropriate question, but does anyone know anything about Q3 pricing or availability in the USA? My google searches either turn up something from September 2012, or something about the concept Q3 RS neither of which tells me when\if I can buy a Q3 tdi quattro.
I don't know anything about the Q3 in the US. I honestly only drove the Q5 (loved it), but I since my sister has owned one she has gotten less than stellar service from them.

-X

Last edited by Xeraphim; 04-05-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xdrive
I can't tell you when the Q3 is coming but I definitely wouldn't hold my breath. It seems as though they have been talking about bringing it to the US market for at least a couple years and I think maybe even longer then that. And still no definitive plans to ever bring it. I have been an Audi guy for the last 20 years and now have an X1 on order for ED this summer. I started looking around at other options because I grew tired of waiting for the Q3 and as you may know Audi is also no longer selling the hatchback A3 in the US. For me the X1 was an easy sell, drives like a car, has the room (almost) like an SUV, good ground clearance for bumpy dirt roads and deep snow, and of course the luxury you would expect from a BMW. It's also pretty darn fast and gets great gas milage for a gas engine performance car. You should definitely check it out. I have to be honest, when I first looked at it I had no plans of switching from an Audi, but fell in love with the X1 after the first test drive.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 128i Vert
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, it looks like this car hasn't been around long enough for anyone to have owned one for a summer. After all the googling I've done the last few days on the AC issue, I guess I'll just have to test drive on a hot day and pick one that's been parked in the sun. I've seen lots of reports of 1, 3, x1 and x3 series only have "cool" but not 'cold' climate control.

Considering how much buzz the Audi a3 is getting a year before arrival, I suppose it's easy to believe that the Q3 is nowhere close. I think I'd have much more fun with the BMW anyway, but the diesel + front biased all-wheel-drive of the Audi does sound very practical. I've only ever driven one BMW (1998 3 series), and it amazed me how perfect the steering feel, brake feedback and driving position were, and that's supposedly their reputation with all their cars.
Moved from Colorado to Texas a few years ago and the AC in our A3 went out within 2 months of living in Dallas. Maybe the car was in shock but we parted ways when I was told it would be close to $5000 to fix. Had a BMW 1 vert at the same time and never had a problem with AC.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
While where I live and test drove the BMW, Audi, Mercs, etc has been cold I have tested the heating and cooling. The BMW and Audi pretty much are in similar boats. The difference for cooling will be for the passengers in the back seat. With the leather interior you may want to look at starting the car and letting it cool for a bit first before getting in. I've been in Corpus where you are and I can tell you that tropical climate is like Louisiana or Florida. It is a living B*@ch, so I feel you. You may want to look at a Kia or another SUV with ventilated front seats. The leather in both the Audi and BMW may make you sweat even if the cabin is around 65.
My concern is the capabilities of the hardware. A "normal" car should be able to put out mid to upper 30F air from the vents even on a 100F day, whereas my current car can only manage upper 40s. This may not sound like a big deal, but it really is, as 45F-55F out of the vent will not be comfortable in Texas heat. For a functional example, I can park in the shade, while someone with a common car (in south Texas, that means Ford, Chevy, Toyota) can park in the sun, and if started up at the same time, their cars will cool off faster than mine. I'm hoping the BMW's AC is "normal", google searches have turned up a lot of complaints which is why I asked in the first place.

Quote:
I'm not sure how important the paddle shifters are to you, but from driving with them in the past I've found them to be more of a weekend novelty than an every day driving experience. Then again, I am very much and old school clutch and short throw guy myself. With RTFs you will get more road noise than if you have something with a little more bounce/cushion. The BMW is relatively quiet and the road noise is minimal under 65 compared to say the Audi or Nissans. You will find the best option is if you want the paddle shifters is to see if the dealer can swap out for a different set of tires, or do so yourself. With that said, I didn't bring a decibel reader into the car with me so my tests are not as scientific as the could be. What I did is bring a friend with me and had them drive while I sat in the front and rear passenger seats so I could get the full experience. I know this sounds crazy since I'm going to be the primary driver, but I wanted to know what the passengers are going to experience. With the MSport and stiffer suspension you do get more transference in the back, but as far as listening to music the sound system is pretty good. You can always (and I recommend) upgrading to the better sound system. You won't have to turn up the music as much to get the full experience of the music from the Beemer's speakers. This is another topic though for the Audiophiles that like extra base or tune the EQ to the back a bit, or . well you get the drift.
Thanks for the driving impressions, that sounds promising. Whether or not paddle shifters matter depends on how well behaved the tranny is. Back when I drove a manual, I usually liked to shift later than most autos like to, that way I could use a lighter right foot and still move reasonably quickly. With autos, it seems like when I drive light footed, they just want to lug the engine in top gear...

Quote:
Sorry to say but the BMW won't get the same gas mileage as the TDI. Diesel usually rocks (unless it's the Touareg) when it comes to mileage. If this is a priority for you then it won't compare. With that said, I've driven diesel. The biggest complaint for this is heat (slow to warm up and if driven hard heat up fast) and location of purchasing. If you travel, you will find that not all stations offer diesel and sometimes they only offer certain diesel. Where I am located there are only three stations in a 35 mile area that offer diesel that I have been able to successfully find. With that said highway driving I am reaching roughly around 31-37 mpg. City driving I am getting close to 25-26. I still haven't broken the 2,500 so I am driving like an old lady most of the time. Sometimes however I just can't help but to speed. I expect my mileage to drop once the break in period passes just due to my nature.
lol, of course I don't expect tdi numbers from a gasoline BMW, nor would I expect gasoline BMW performance from a Audi diesel. I was actually wondering how many miles one would lose from xdrive vs sdrive, but your numbers (31 -37 HW) are really impressive for an all the time all wheel drive car!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
My concern is the capabilities of the hardware. A "normal" car should be able to put out mid to upper 30F air from the vents even on a 100F day, whereas my current car can only manage upper 40s. This may not sound like a big deal, but it really is, as 45F-55F out of the vent will not be comfortable in Texas heat. For a functional example, I can park in the shade, while someone with a common car (in south Texas, that means Ford, Chevy, Toyota) can park in the sun, and if started up at the same time, their cars will cool off faster than mine. I'm hoping the BMW's AC is "normal", google searches have turned up a lot of complaints which is why I asked in the first place.
Unfortunately, I can not honestly answer this as where I am stationed right now has been cool. When I was in Florida and in Texas though with my previous BMW (not x1) I don't remember having problems with AC. If you can wait a few weeks for temp to warm up I can try to give you a test and let you know.

Quote:
Thanks for the driving impressions, that sounds promising. Whether or not paddle shifters matter depends on how well behaved the tranny is. Back when I drove a manual, I usually liked to shift later than most autos like to, that way I could use a lighter right foot and still move reasonably quickly. With autos, it seems like when I drive light footed, they just want to lug the engine in top gear...
Well, with all the auto transmissions on the X1 series you can actually shift from the shifter by sliding it over. Since I can't comment on your driving style I will not pursue any further. I will just say read the owners manual when doing constant manual shifting on an automatic transmission.

Quote:
lol, of course I don't expect tdi numbers from a gasoline BMW, nor would I expect gasoline BMW performance from a Audi diesel. I was actually wondering how many miles one would lose from xdrive vs sdrive, but your numbers (31 -37 HW) are really impressive for an all the time all wheel drive car!
Well keep in mind I haven't broken mine in yet. I am driving like a grandmother right now and the break in period can not come fast enough for me. I would suggest reading this thread. I expect normal driving to have a dip in MPG but a raise in fun.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM

Well, I got to test drive today, it was pretty warm and sunny and the AC did fine, as did the rest of the car so I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2014 xdrive with the lighting package, the servotronic, and little else. It should be in around the 3rd week of May, which means: the Q3 will probably be out first week of June (jk), and you'll have to get used to me sticking around here asking dumb questions.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Well, I got to test drive today, it was pretty warm and sunny and the AC did fine, as did the rest of the car so I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2014 xdrive with the lighting package, the servotronic, and little else. It should be in around the 3rd week of May, which means: the Q3 will probably be out first week of June (jk), and you'll have to get used to me sticking around here asking dumb questions.
Congrats!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks!

If anyone's still viewing this thread, I'm also on the lookout for a good cheap 1/18 - 1/32 diecast. The Kyosho 1/18 looks outstanding, but costs a bit more than I want to pay for a piece of shelf decor.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: Nitro
Dont buy from this place

Quote:
Thanks!

If anyone's still viewing this thread, I'm also on the lookout for a good cheap 1/18 - 1/32 diecast. The Kyosho 1/18 looks outstanding, but costs a bit more than I want to pay for a piece of shelf decor.
Warning , do not buy from this place

hiltonluxurysupply an Ebay seller

I purchased an X1 1/18 scale, they never shipped it in 8 days and then sent me all kinds of conflicting reasons why they did not ship it.

Good luck finding one at a deal, I have had no luck other than that one which was not ever going to actually be a real deal.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Sorry about that. That's why I tend to shun Ebay as well as other flee market type sites. I've used Amazon occasionally, but I always read the seller reviews, and even still, most don't disclose shipping methods, and if they ship USPS, the PO tends to hold things hostage for a few weeks.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: Nitro
Ok sometimes, most times actually.

Quote:
Sorry about that. That's why I tend to shun Ebay as well as other flee market type sites. I've used Amazon occasionally, but I always read the seller reviews, and even still, most don't disclose shipping methods, and if they ship USPS, the PO tends to hold things hostage for a few weeks.
I get a descent amount on Ebay and some on Amazon and don't have many issues, but this place topped the cake.

Never shipped the item and said they did with fake tracking.

Shame there the only one that had the X1 1/18 Scale BMW Box in RED?

So sad :-(
Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 AM

It's finally here, and we're getting along great so far!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Congratulations!

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert