Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Leaking Fluid

Just got a '11 with 14k miles and I noticed something last week in the driveway. I wasn't sure if it was my car because I share that spot with another car so I parked my car in a new spot and woke up, and, yup it definitely is my car. The leak is coming from the engine area (middle) and the fluid didn't have ay smell or color (as far as I could tell). Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
no color, no smell, maybe AC condensor water?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
no color, no smell, maybe AC condensor water?
Nah, I AC fluid wouldn't stay on the ground for days. Plus, I haven't been using AC.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 AM

It has a small, I just cant identify it. Im thinking some type of Coolant.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
Is your car all wheel drive? I've seen a lot of front differential seals leak on these. The gear oil is thick, very light in color.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 AM

Yeah, its AWD. Is this a big issue or a simple fix?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
You are guessing at the moment. You really need to put it on jack stands or on a rack and determine where it is coming from. Could be transmission, engine leaks as well as diff leak.
Once you locate the leak then we can help more.
Things like oil filter housing gasket leaks are common on both 335 and 328 as well as a mirade of other possible sources. Help us to help you.
Pretty sure your car has a plastic pan on it too which can mask the actual location of where a leak is coming from...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboomer View Post
Nah, I AC fluid wouldn't stay on the ground for days. Plus, I haven't been using AC.
Ah, but your AC's automatic. For defrost, for instance, or on sunny days.

Now, then. Stays for days? Lubricant! I'd get that fixed.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Here's a trick if you don't like to get your hands dirty, like me. Place an aluminum party tray underneath the spot where you think the leak is coming from. The tray will catch the liquid and you'll be able to see what type of liquid leaking. This will help you determine where the leak is coming from. You can also use foil folded into the shape of a tray if you don't have a tray to catch the liquid. Catching the liquid in its wet state will also help you see the color of the liquid. Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
BMWCCA 149159

If it has a plastic pan it will not help you locate where it is coming from just that it is leaking. The pan is large and covers most of the engine compartment so it could be coming from anyplace.
Unless you are jackpot lucky and can see where from the top pulling the pan is about the best way to localize where it is coming from...
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM

This is my first BMW and a bit depressing. I made an appt. with my dealer to have it looked at.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Could be mechtronic seal, seal between gasket and tranny. Known issue.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: f30 335i
Why can't BMW use the same types of rubber seals, gaskets, etc, that Japanese automakers use??? Is that too much to ask? My 05 545i is on its way out because it just has way too many problems (like oil leaks from gaskets and seals) that never let up. Now....I have a new f30 335i on order and I'm starting to second guess that decision....I'm about to go through the same headaches again.

On the flip side, my wife's Acura MDX had 170k miles on it before she recently traded it in (on another new MDX) and never a leak of any kind....or any major problems for that matter. I know you don't buy a Bimmer to be the most reliable car in the world...but throw us a bone Munich....why can't we at least get higher quality seals and gaskets on these things???
Old 04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
BMWCCA 149159

BMW doesn't choose the seals. The manufacturer of the transmission does.
In the case of the 335 it is ZF and GM for the 328.
ZF supplies many transmissions to Asian car manufacturers like Hyundia. I bet their experience is the same as ours. Also Jag and Ford in Australia are supplied by ZF for many transmissions. Agree not one of ZF's better parts.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Can I assume that whatever the issue, it's covered by warranty? If so, only the trip to the dealer should be the nuisance.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
BMW doesn't choose the seals. The manufacturer of the transmission does.
In the case of the 335 it is ZF and GM for the 328.
ZF supplies many transmissions to Asian car manufacturers like Hyundia. I bet their experience is the same as ours. Also Jag and Ford in Australia are supplied by ZF for many transmissions. Agree not one of ZF's better parts.
What about engine gaskets? Those seem to be crap too.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
You're still under warranty. How about letting your local dealer fix this and let us know the outcome?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM

I have an appointment setup Monday and Ill let you all know what the word is.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Why can't BMW use the same types of rubber seals, gaskets, etc, that Japanese automakers use??? Is that too much to ask? My 05 545i is on its way out because it just has way too many problems (like oil leaks from gaskets and seals) that never let up. Now....I have a new f30 335i on order and I'm starting to second guess that decision....I'm about to go through the same headaches again.

On the flip side, my wife's Acura MDX had 170k miles on it before she recently traded it in (on another new MDX) and never a leak of any kind....or any major problems for that matter. I know you don't buy a Bimmer to be the most reliable car in the world...but throw us a bone Munich....why can't we at least get higher quality seals and gaskets on these things???

Yes. And please, real BMW people are above this sort of thing.

Now, then. A Japanese vehicle? You cannot compare made-to-cost Japanese McVehicles to excellent, cutting edge German machinery.

You just can't.

No.

Stop it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
What about engine gaskets? Those seem to be crap too.

There you go again.

BMW gaskets are not "crap."

No.

They are High Performance. Longevity may not be that of Civic gaskets. Neither is the quality of the BMW ride.

>SNIFF<
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Yes. And please, real BMW people are above this sort of thing.

Now, then. A Japanese vehicle? You cannot compare made-to-cost Japanese McVehicles to excellent, cutting edge German machinery.

You just can't.

No.

Stop it.
Your responses make no sense. All of the other engineering that goes into a BMW could be maintained with the addition of higher quality seals and gaskets.....they have nothing to do with the "ride" or handling of a BMW. Yes,the seals and gaskets leak like a sieve after 70-80k miles....that's "crap". I've heard the "you don't buy a BMW for the reliability" argument a million times, so you don't have to preach to me. I'm saying a better engineered car shouldn't piss oil and fluids all over my garage floor after 70-80k.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Your responses make no sense. All of the other engineering that goes into a BMW could be maintained with the addition of higher quality seals and gaskets.....they have nothing to do with the "ride" or handling of a BMW. Yes,the seals and gaskets leak like a sieve after 70-80k miles....that's "crap". I've heard the "you don't buy a BMW for the reliability" argument a million times, so you don't have to preach to me. I'm saying a better engineered car shouldn't piss oil and fluids all over my garage floor after 70-80k.
or after 14k
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Of course not. A car of Excellence must be maintained. If you use your dealer's considerable expertise and resources, you'll find your BMW will be as fit as any Honda, Toyota, or Lexus on the road in this regard.

Micturate indeed. No well maintained BMW will leak fluids "....all over my garage floor...." The very idea is hateful to true BMW owners, and cause for action.

Action, sir, do your hear?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Of course not. A car of Excellence must be maintained. If you use your dealer's considerable expertise and resources, you'll find your BMW will be as fit as any Honda, Toyota, or Lexus on the road in this regard.

Micturate indeed. No well maintained BMW will leak fluids "....all over my garage floor...." The very idea is hateful to true BMW owners, and cause for action.

Action, sir, do your hear?
Haha...."action?" Huh? What are you talking about? FYI buddy....I've used my dealer's "expertise and resources" and kept the vehicle meticulously maintained, and my 5 has had three or four different leaks of all types (coolant, oil) since I passed 70k miles.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
The seal issue is definitely not just a BMW thing. Ask any VW/Audi owner how many leaks they've gotten over the years, or complain about how many you have and they will just laugh at you for the low number. It seems to be a German engineering thing; they over engineer the seals (make it harder than it needs to be).