Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 323i 1996
Headlights blink when first turn on

Hi all, first post

Bit of background, my E36 (Australian version) been sitting for 4 years not registered. Decided to get her going. Had a fuel problem but fixed now. Replaced the windscreen water tank pump and petrol filler cover solenoid (both faulty).

NOW when I turn on the headlights, there is a slight delay (maybe a second) and the lights come on for 2 secs, momentarily go off, stay on for maybe 2 secs, momentarily go off, comes on & then it settles down & they stay on.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Also got a couple of other problems (maybe connected to this, I don't know, maybe start a separate thread?)
- dashboard display showing kms travelled, sometimes, at turn on only shows the bottom half of the number segment i.e. instead of displaying an 8 just shows the bottom 'o' of the 8 . When this happens the bar graph and 'inspection' data below are VERY dimly lit. After couple of seconds when the bar graph goes out, the kms travelled display lights up as normal & everything is fine.
- driver door window, when it is closing (going up) it stops about 1" from the top & comes back down maybe 1/2" and then stops. I have to try a couple of times before it closes completely. Its like it hits a limit switch too early
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
That's a weird one, I'd start with the relay. That's the only thing that comes to mind that would allow blinking like that with such regularity.

Your window is binding in the tracks. The motor senses that its taking too much effort to roll the window up so it reverses, thinking something is caught in the frame. You'll want to pull the door panel and make sure the tracks and rollers are in good shape.

Any errors in this post are purely Swype's fault, not mine.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That's a weird one, I'd start with the relay. That's the only thing that comes to mind that would allow blinking like that with such regularity.

Your window is binding in the tracks. The motor senses that its taking too much effort to roll the window up so it reverses, thinking something is caught in the frame. You'll want to pull the door panel and make sure the tracks and rollers are in good shape.
WOW quick reply

thanks for the info, will have a look
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
I might also suspect a dirty or disintegrating headlight switch.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Turned out to be problem with the relay. When I put my finger on it & moved it side to side, the headlights went off/on. So I removed the relay, closed the relay socket contacts a bit, sprayed some WD40 in there. Now the lights come on the instant I turn the headlight switch I'll see how it performs over time.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Great! Glad it was just a relay. May as well replace the thing, they're only 10 bucks or so.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana