Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Road & Track heaps praise on the 135is

I don't subscribe to any rags, but my colleague at work is keenly aware I'm a huge one series fan and dropped off the latest edition of R&T on my desk the other morning to look at during my lunch break (yeah, like I really waited that long ).

Anyway, R&T did a nice write-up on the 135is which the reader can read in full at this linky.

Some of the comments I found interesting:

"If the Bavarian Motor Wizards boiled down their brand to the stuff that made it legendary, a 135is badge would be floating at the bottom of the cauldron. That essence, made real, would be a compact coupe with tubby rear-wheel-drive proportions, just like the small Sixties, Seventies, and Eighties sport sedans that made BMW a household name. Its steering would be more accurate and more communicative than most anything else on the road. It would have a straight-six that saxophoned you a love song while assaulting the rear tires with obscene force. It would be a luxury car by virtue of its engineering, ergonomics, and materials—not because it was swaddled in expensive hides or festooned with tech gimmickry."

And also:

"It's also a matter of larger focus. The 135is doesn't have a single "Sport" button in its cockpit, because a proper sports coupe doesn't need a button to tell it when to be sporty. The addition of an "s" to the rear emblem doesn't mean much—this car is essentially the old 135i Sport package, replete with six-piston front brakes, sport suspension, and an aero body kit. The single-turbo straight-six motivating the 135i since 2011 gets an additional 20 hp and 17 lb-ft of torque, an upgrade that's been available through BMW's accessory catalog for more than a year.

And it has an exhaust that begs you to leave the door open when you start it in the morning, just so you can hear it. Forget Folgers; the best part of waking up is the prospect of setting off car alarms when you light off your 135is before work. The performance exhaust has what we like to think of as pretend mufflers. They pretend to quiet down the engine's roar, and your rich neighbor will pretend that the little BMW doesn't sound as potent as his Ferrari.

Can you feel the engine's slight (just six percent) power bump? Not really, but then the 135i never wanted for power. The 135is threatens to roast its rear tires all the way through first gear, screaming to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds—0.2 second quicker than the original twin-turbo 135i. The remainder of the package is classic 1-series: fatigue-proof, adjustable-bolster sport seats; a perfect driving position; great brake feel; a deliciously thick-rimmed miniature steering wheel; and a stubby, accurate shifter."

The final bit (and in it an obvious slam of the new drier reihe):

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving. The 3-series, which used to make so much more sense than the 1, is now a perfectly nice car that barely registers on the fun-to-drive scale. Like most new German cars, it focuses too much on electronics and the eventuality of a driverless future. It errs toward isolation where BMW's have traditionally favored refinement and engagement. It offers more in the way of electronic cockpit gadgets than feedback.

Most disturbing of all, Munich seems to have walked away from the very thing responsible for its success: the compact sports sedan. Right when Audi and Mercedes-Benz are about to jump into the market with the upcoming A3 and CLA—both of which are intriguing in spite of being front-wheel drive—BMW has nothing compelling to offer.

The 135is and the cars that came before it explain why BMW means more, to more enthusiasts, than any other brand. The Bavarians could slap sedan- and wagon-shaped four-door bodies on this car, call it the new 3-series, and it would easily remain the best car on the road for another decade."

Haven't driven, nor had the desire to drive the F30 since it's grossly outgrown me and has simply gone in a different direction than I aspire to head.

But for one...............it's high praise of the retro dynamics found in the one series DNA.............as well as a telling statement when rags continue to state you essentially now have to look forward to the past to find the genie in the bottle that made the marque special.

I'm not as down and out on the marque as the article's author. I still think there is hope the upcoming 2 series will rouse and revive this sleeping giant.

But in the meantime, my one series brothers and sisters should continue to enjoy driving your "compact coupe with tubby rear-wheel-drive proportions"......................with accurate and .........communicative steering".
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
great post here.hopefully i can grab one before its out of eop
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i Convertible
Makes me regret that I have to sell my 2013 135i convertible...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i ///M Sports Pkg
The E82 definitely is underappreciated isn't it...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
The E82 definitely is underappreciated isn't it...
Yep.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 135i coupe
Traded my 2007, 6-speed 335i convert for a 2010 135i coupe with manual 6-speed. Car hequipped with BMW performance exhaust, sport package etc I added Dinan stage one tuning. WOW! This is a very fast car! My 335i was a fast car-but not this fast! Try a 135i coupe-add BMW exhaust and Dinan stage one-makes you want to take the long senic route with the curves every time!(I live in Monterey Ca)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
The latest issue of Bimmer Magazine had a much better and three page write up.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMetcalf View Post
Traded my 2007, 6-speed 335i convert for a 2010 135i coupe with manual 6-speed. Car hequipped with BMW performance exhaust, sport package etc I added Dinan stage one tuning. WOW! This is a very fast car! My 335i was a fast car-but not this fast! Try a 135i coupe-add BMW exhaust and Dinan stage one-makes you want to take the long senic route with the curves every time!(I live in Monterey Ca)

1970 Morris Cooper S * 2008 BMW 135i Coupe * 2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet * 2003 BMW 525i Touring