Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Time for new brakes

Any recommendations? Its an 02 330i with ~43,XXX miles and I'm guessing they are the original pads and rotors. I need to go pull the wheels and find out if its the fronts or rears but I want to have an idea on what I should get. Also do you guys usually replaces the pads and rotors? Any idea when the light usually comes on, i.e. do I still have some time before they need replaces?

Thanks guys
Ads by Google
Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci + ZPP/ZSP/ZCW
From what I remember, you have about 1,000 miles after the light comes on... but I always do it when it comes on and not push it. But, it doesn't really matter since you have to replace the pads and rotors every time anyway. I used ceramics last time, and I will not use them again... they are too soft for me, they don't fade but the OEM bite is not there.

Alpinweiß 2005 325Ci
Spacegrau 2007 X5 3.0Si

Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Our stock type replacement kit (LINK) with Meyle rotors and Vaico pads has been getting good feed back from customers. It provides you with coated rotors (to protect against rusting and corrosion) and Vaico pads which are similar in characteristics to the stock pads.

If you wanted to switch to a low dust pad I'd suggest making the move to Hawk HPS, they are a performance upgrade for your car and a great all around pad. We pair them in service kits with oru ECS GEOMET slotted or drilled and slotted rotors (LINK).

If you choose to go with individual components and pick your own package basically keep in mind because the wear sensor has tripped you'll need to replace it as well. I've found MTC and Uro sensors (LINK) to be great, they are budget friendly and get the job done.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Our stock type replacement kit (LINK) with Meyle rotors and Vaico pads has been getting good feed back from customers. It provides you with coated rotors (to protect against rusting and corrosion) and Vaico pads which are similar in characteristics to the stock pads.

If you wanted to switch to a low dust pad I'd suggest making the move to Hawk HPS, they are a performance upgrade for your car and a great all around pad. We pair them in service kits with oru ECS GEOMET slotted or drilled and slotted rotors (LINK).

If you choose to go with individual components and pick your own package basically keep in mind because the wear sensor has tripped you'll need to replace it as well. I've found MTC and Uro sensors (LINK) to be great, they are budget friendly and get the job done.

Thanks, any discounts for forum members
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
OEM BMW Performance Rotors FTW!
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa | Brushed Aluminum Trim | DINAN | Eisenmann | SuperSprint | TuningTech | ///M Registry | My Progress Thread |
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_Ci View Post
From what I remember, you have about 1,000 miles after the light comes on...
This is incorrect and potentially dangerous. You only have two sensors, not four. One on front left and one on rear right. If , for instance, you have uneven brake wear and your front right is more worn than the front left, the sensor would not let you know that. I recently changed my brakes after the front right got so thin that I had metal grinding on metal. The sensor never tripped.

Change your brakes ASAP. I got OE replacements from oembimmerparts for $110 shipped.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
This is incorrect and potentially dangerous. You only have two sensors, not four. One on front left and one on rear right. If , for instance, you have uneven brake wear and your front right is more worn than the front left, the sensor would not let you know that. I recently changed my brakes after the front right got so thin that I had metal grinding on metal. The sensor never tripped.

Change your brakes ASAP. I got OE replacements from oembimmerparts for $110 shipped.
+1 for the OEM parts at oembimmerparts. Just be prepared for the usual large amounts of brake dust. Get Porterfield R4S pads as alternatives for OEM replacements with the stock OEM Zimmerman rotors if you want very low dust, same OEM bite but better thermal resistance, quiet and is the same price.

Btw, this topic has been discussed to death, search is your friend.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
+1 for the OEM parts at oembimmerparts. Just be prepared for the usual large amounts of brake dust. Get Porterfield R4S pads as alternatives for OEM replacements with the stock OEM Zimmerman rotors if you want very low dust, same OEM bite but better thermal resistance, quiet and is the same price.

Btw, this topic has been discussed to death, search is your friend.
Looking for the most up-to-date info though
Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
I like using an OEM rotors and Brembro brake pads. Brake dust I don't mind because I know my car is working. Plus you can always wash it off. lol

OEM rotors because it will fit best with your car.

TIAG
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
325i needs rotors

Hi Guys,
New to the site and BMW...just picked up my first bimmer a 2003 325i about 6 months ago. the car is in great shape and I love to drive it. But I do need front rotors...got several quotes from Napa from $45 per rotor to $145... the dealer wants $100 per rotor. what's the general rule of thumb when looking for new rotors? What do I need to look for, any suggested brands that I should stick with?

ps: my pads look fine, about 1/2 of the pad is left.

thanks,
doug v
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougv123v View Post
Hi Guys,
New to the site and BMW...just picked up my first bimmer a 2003 325i about 6 months ago. the car is in great shape and I love to drive it. But I do need front rotors...got several quotes from Napa from $45 per rotor to $145... the dealer wants $100 per rotor. what's the general rule of thumb when looking for new rotors? What do I need to look for, any suggested brands that I should stick with?

ps: my pads look fine, about 1/2 of the pad is left.

thanks,
doug v
You don`t replace just the rotors, and not the pads. What makes you think you "need" rotors ? Did you measure them with a caliper ? If yes, what was the thickness ?

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
I brought it into a shop to try and figure out why the brakes were squeeky, but the warning light failed to go off. the response was...change the rotors.

but that's a good point, i didn't measure the rotors, but did a visual on the pads. they look pretty good to the untrained eye.

any suggestions?

thanks for the answers.
doug.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougv123v View Post

any suggestions?

doug.
Yeah....don`t listen to the boneheads who are trying to sell you something you don`t really need.

Here`s a DIY you can try, and it`ll only cost you a couple of bucks. Get some anti-squeal compound, and apply it to the rear surface of your brake pads. That annoying high-pitched squeal is usually caused by high-frequency vibration, and the paste (compound) dampens those vibrations.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 06-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Could be the type of pad you're running... do you know the history of the brakes? You should inspect the pads and sensors just to be sure they are what we assume. Someone could bypass the sensor so it will never trip.

Another free trick... hose down the rotors and let them rust over, then go for a drive and do some hard stops - being safe to do this on a deserted road with no one behind you. If there's any gunk built up on pad or rotor, this will scrub it off nicely.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 06-12-2013, 04:16 AM

Check http://www.ecstuning.com/ and http://www.bavauto.com/ for kits that include pads, rotors and sensors. I would replace everything at once. I can't see why your rotors would go before your pads though. All 4 pads went on my car at once.