Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 525
Unlikely. Mine's worse and I've got no issues. But since its visible, just take a close look. Who knows ? You might spot something useful (may not be related to this trans prog problem either).
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Another thing notable. When I took my key out last night the key was rather hot, that makes me think it might be the ignition switch? ( I'm doing the thirty min reset and cleaning the contacts now. )
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoulf8 View Post
Another thing notable. When I took my key out last night the key was rather hot, that makes me think it might be the ignition switch? ( I'm doing the thirty min reset and cleaning the contacts now. )
Not sure about that. But thats the attitude. Notice everyyhing, however obscure, and put it out here. Somebody is bound to make the connection.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

How was your old pressure control solenoid ? Did it look bad ? If you have pictures of the old and new, please post them here.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM

The new one is in, but I have the old one. It loos fine. I'll post a pic in a few
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Sorry for not posing the picture, I will tomorrow. But I did the long reset and cleaned all the contacts and its been good since. Well see what happens. Thank you for all your help.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM

Well it was good last night and this morning, but after work (after it sitting in the hot sun all day) it was back in trans mode
Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM

It still keeps going in and out of it, i just took apart the middle console and cleaned all the contacts... Im lost and it is starting to get irritating.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
No reverse light and the wiring is o.k., trans program now and then, do the gear indicator light in the dash shows the gear or is it dark?

Sound like a neutral safety switch, aka gear selector switch in the console. If you don't have a gear shift interlock it's a 30 minutes job to switch out the switch but if you do have the shift interlock, it's a pain in the a$$ unless you know the trick.

The switch disassemble.

Copper contacts on the switch burns out due to German Engineers not using a relay to turn on the reverse light, but instead having the current flow through the switch.

Last edited by upallnight; 04-15-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 PM

I took the middle console apart, and the neutral safety switch does look a little burnt on the right hand side, I'm getting a EPROM chip tomorrow, if that doesn't fix it, the neutral safety switch is next. Thank you very much.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM

I would remove the switch and look at the contacts, the switch is kinda pricey and if it's still good no use replacing it. If you look at my picture of the switch taken apart you can see at the lower left hand side of the switch that not only is the contact missing, but the plastic is also missing.

Last edited by upallnight; 04-15-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 PM

I will do that, thank you
Old 04-15-2013, 03:53 PM

The secret to removing the switch is shown in the first picture. That allen bolt that you see at the top is covered by the gear shift interlock that looks like a sickle.

You need to remove the top portion of the switch in order to remove the interlock to take out that top screw. The second picture with the switch taken apart show where the tabs are that you must release in order to remove the top part of the switch. I used fishing lines to release the tabs.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM

Where do you think I could get a new one, because mine seems to be burned out.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Where do you normally buy BMW parts? Pelicanparts.com carries BMW parts, but you need the part number. You can go to Realoem.com and look under Archive for the E34 and get the part number.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_TOOL=ON

https://importecautoparts.com/parts/part_number/25%2016%201%20219%20149/3

THE SAME SWITCH WERE ALSO USED IN AN E32

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...161219149.html

Last edited by upallnight; 04-16-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM

I usually go to the dealer, but they don't sell it separately, I'd have to buy the entire setup for like 350$ but I'm looking on realoem now
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM

E34 Trans Program, HELP!!!!!

So I got a switch and it fixed my reverse lights but not my trans program. Any other ideas???

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM

You will need to get the diagnostic code read as to why you are receiving that message. A computer using Carsoft 6.5 or BMW Scanner 1.4 should be able to read the EGS computer. Have you have your battery tested? A low voltage reading can trigger the Trans parogram.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Had the battery checked and the codes read. The code is 040 pressure regulator. I replaced it. Still got the code so I replaced the EPROM chip. Still does it.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Don't know if this will help, but I found this bulletin.

Bulletin Number
24 06 94

Woodcliff, NJ
November 1996
Product Engineering

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. 24 06 94 (4134) dated May 1995 which should be removed and discarded from your S.I. binder.

The black bar and double asterisks identifies changes made to this revision.
SUBJECT:
Transmission Control Module Fault Code 40

MODEL:
E34, E36 with A4S 310R/ 270R Automatic Transmission

Situation:
"Trans Program" is displayed in the matrix (E34) or the transmission fault indicator is illuminated (E36). Cycling of the ignition switch restores normal operation. Fault code 40 - Pressure Regulator, is stored in the fault memory of the transmission control module. The setting of Fault Code 40 occurs very intermittently and may not be "currently present" at the time the vehicle is being diagnosed.

Cause:
The pressure regulator monitoring circuitry of the control module is too sensitive and may cause Fault Code 40 to be set erroneously.

Correction:
The pressure threshold values in the latest EPROMs have been changed to eliminate the erroneous setting of fault code 40. The EGS control module EPROM is to be replaced if it is determined that FC 40 has been set erroneously.

Procedure:
Prior to the replacement of any components perform the following:

^ Check fault memory of EGS for existence of fault code 40.

^ If fault code 40 is "currently present" in the EGS control module and confirmed to be non intermittent, (i.e. cycling of the ignition switch does not change fault status) check the resistance between the following pins with the ignition switched off and the control module not connected:

**^ If fault code 40 is not "currently present" replace the EPROM in the transmission control module. Please refer to S.I. 24 05 95 (4294) for complete instructions on exchanging the transmission control module EPROM.**

^ The replaced EPROM can be identified by a new Software Number being displayed on the EGS identification screen of the service tester:

** NOTE : THE EPROMs LISTED ABOVE PERTAIN TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SHIFT LOCK. Vehicles produced prior to 9/91 may not be equipped with a shift lock solenoid. If the vehicle does not have shift-lock (the range selector switch can be removed from park or neutral without depressing the brake pedal) please contact the Technical Service Hotline in order to obtain a replacement Service EPROM.**

Parts Information:
The updated transmission control module EPROM can be ordered by the part numbers based on model and production range:

**Note : The BMW hardware numbers listed above may not be all inclusive. If the BMW hardware number of the installed EGS module is not listed above and the vehicle is equipped with shift-lock, install the EPROM that matches with the model and production period of the vehicle.**

Description Pressure Regulator

Part Number 24 35 1 421 602

Warranty Information:
Parts and labor will be reimbursable under the terms of the applicable BMW New Car Limited Warranty.

2010 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

That's what I did, I replaced the EPROM.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Wrenchin' guy

Mein Auto: 92 525i
E34 Trans Program

Greetings,

Am curious sir, if you have your resolution to the Trans Program problem?

I am now faced with this situation, Yet I am in Afghanistan and my friend she is being taken to the cleaners everytime there is a monor problem with my 92 , and now she tells me that the "gas" station says there is a problem with the transmission.....

I wish I could go back today and wring some necks, alas, I am overseas here on Operation Enduring Freedom......

I enjoy the pics you have posted and will use thme if it is ok with you to send to my friend so she can at least try to get the car repaired without costing major bucks.....

Any other suggestions I can forward to her? I have read my Bently manual, and I am pretty good with the DIY on this car, yet I am quite far away so I cannot do anything from here other than provide guidance.

Appreciate any and all comments!

Cheers!

cpnwrench
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 AM

Hello and thank you for your service. First thing it to get her alternator and battery checked. Advanced auto will do it for free. Next is to open up where the gear shifter is and look, if you see anything messed up, replace it. After that replace your main relay ( in ebox under hood ) $25 roughly. And ten get the codes checked if the code comes back as an 040 then get the EPROM chip replaced (30$) if it comes back as a different code fix whatever the code is. If it is a speed sensor, then you need to replace the pulse generator. And no, I still have not fixed mine. I'm getting a battery next week to try an see if it will help. Best of luck, and be safe out there.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
You will need to get the diagnostic code read as to why you are receiving that message. A computer using Carsoft 6.5 or BMW Scanner 1.4 should be able to read the EGS computer. Have you have your battery tested? A low voltage reading can trigger the Trans program.
You seem very knowledgeable about these transmissions. I am having similar problems. I have started a thread about but i am not getting any responses. i dont want to hi jack this thread so heres a ling to mine. All of your guys input is greatly appreciated..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=695867
'97 740i - sold
'87 325es with chip - Sold(one of the worst mistakes of my life)
'86 325e - Sold
'90 525i - Current daily driver

I bought a Honda ONCE...
Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoulf8 View Post
Hello and thank you for your service. First thing it to get her alternator and battery checked. Advanced auto will do it for free. Next is to open up where the gear shifter is and look, if you see anything messed up, replace it. After that replace your main relay ( in ebox under hood ) $25 roughly. And ten get the codes checked if the code comes back as an 040 then get the EPROM chip replaced (30$) if it comes back as a different code fix whatever the code is. If it is a speed sensor, then you need to replace the pulse generator. And no, I still have not fixed mine. I'm getting a battery next week to try an see if it will help. Best of luck, and be safe out there.

How much money do you have dumped into trying to fix this problem??
'97 740i - sold
'87 325es with chip - Sold(one of the worst mistakes of my life)
'86 325e - Sold
'90 525i - Current daily driver

I bought a Honda ONCE...