Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Finally got the car coded and wondering why I waited so long

My wife kept on complaining about the double pull on the door handle so I finally decided to figure out how to code the car.

With the cable from F01driver and help from shawnsheridian I got going and the car is finally how it should come from the factory! Thanks

Here are a few things I did.
- Tire pressure and temperature for each tire. Say goodbye to idiotic color codes!
- Car is unlocked when the engine stopped - Single door pull just like the other cars
- Automatic high beam assist now on by default
- Button by driver door and Fob now also closes the trunk
- Turn signals in the head up display
- Remove legal warning on Nav startup
- Remove warning messages on the cameras (they were always in the way)
- Mirror now folds when locking the car with door handle or key fob (not that you really need this in the US, but I like that I can tell if the car is locked from a distance. In Europe, this is indispensable for tight parking)
- DVD in motion. I couldn't care less for that option as I wouldn't watch movies while driving anyways; just tried to see how the coding works..

Once you get going, it's quite fast to do. Highly recommended

Last edited by Wolfman64; 04-07-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Great stuff man, coding is one of those "must" mods for the f01, you get so many neat features for dirt cheap.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750i MSport
Congrats!!! I'd love to do this stuff. F01, would mind helping if needed? I do need to get the cable (of course) - got a link to the one I need ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
My wife kept on complaining about the double pull on the door handle so I finally decided to figure out how to code the car.

With the cable from F01driver and help from shawnsheridian I got going and the car is finally how it should come from the factory! Thanks

Here are a few things I did.
- Tire pressure and temperature for each tire. Say goodbye to idiotic color codes!
- Car is unlocked when the engine stopped - Single door pull just like the other cars
- Automatic high beam assist now on by default
- Button by driver door and Fob now also closes the trunk
- Turn signals in the head up display
- Remove legal warning on Nav startup
- Remove warning messages on the cameras (they were always in the way)
- Mirror now folds when locking the car with door handle or key fob (not that you really need this in the US, but I like that I can tell if the car is locked from a distance. In Europe, this is indispensable for tight parking)
- DVD in motion. I couldn't care less for that option as I wouldn't watch movies while driving anyways; just tried to see how the coding works..

Once you get going, it's quite fast to do. Highly recommended
I didn't know you could set the high beam assist to auto on! Alex gave me a cable, Ill have to try and find that one.

Chris

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Yes need info on where to get a cable
Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i M-Sport Soon
Quick question and I apologize in advance for possible a very stupid question but:

Are there any repurcussions for coding your own car? I will be leasing and figure that the dealership will be able to tell that coding had been done when they don't see all of the disclaimers, etc. I'm not necessarily talking about legal ramifications ("The DVD player was enabled in-motion, your honor!") but more so what the dealer could do about it. I consider it analogous to jailbreaking an iPhone but that may be innacurate.

Obviously I'd like to code the heck out of my car!

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Very specific question: If you engine is running and you get out of the car and lock your doors with the keyfob, do the mirrors still fold in; if not, is there any way to program same!?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post
I didn't know you could set the high beam assist to auto on! Alex gave me a cable, Ill have to try and find that one.

Chris
Sounds cryptic, but here is the setting: FRM module, 3050 section, FLA_AUTO_AKTIV; set to active (automatic)

Hate to say but I like the Mercedes approach; just press the the stalk forward for high-beam and it's permanently on auto. Pull back, it's off...

Last edited by Wolfman64; 04-07-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Very specific question: If you engine is running and you get out of the car and lock your doors with the keyfob, do the mirrors still fold in; if not, is there any way to program same!?
Didn't check the key fob but it you touch the door handle with the car running, the car will lock and the mirrors fold in. Since the fob is programmed the same way, the action should be the same. Will have to check but am reasonably certain it will.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5150 View Post
Quick question and I apologize in advance for possible a very stupid question but:

Are there any repurcussions for coding your own car? I will be leasing and figure that the dealership will be able to tell that coding had been done when they don't see all of the disclaimers, etc. I'm not necessarily talking about legal ramifications ("The DVD player was enabled in-motion, your honor!") but more so what the dealer could do about it. I consider it analogous to jailbreaking an iPhone but that may be innacurate.

Thanks!
Good question. I personally can't see any reason why.
I haven't looked at any settings beyond what I consider convenience features, many of which are defaulted on or off for one country or another.

I'll be surprised if a dealer would even notice. Besides I have had people in service change settings for me right at the dealership (like lowering the car by an inch, a Mercedes). Gotta love ABC suspension

All settings can obviously be reverted back for a lease turn-in
Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
When you go to the dealership for scheduled Service, or an unexpected WTF issue :-O....Will the coding stay, if BMW hooks the car up and does any "software updates"? Are these codes permanent??
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750i MSport
Yup - and if you get a refresh on a schedule maintenance (which they do to clear faulty codes or service warnings) you will have to reprogram. Same as if you have a the DINAN flash - they will re flash that for free.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Yes need info on where to get a cable
One Stop Electronics or eBay. You have a lot of choices (search BMW Enet on eBay and you'll have 10 choices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL 6 View Post
Congrats!!! I'd love to do this stuff. F01, would mind helping if needed? I do need to get the cable (of course) - got a link to the one I need ?

Thanks in advance !
Same as above

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5150 View Post

Thanks!
Honestly, there are no repercussions. You are simply modifying values that are already present in your vehicle. The dealer really wouldn't say anything and in most cases would not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Yes, if the engine is running you can get out of the car, lock the doors and then hold to lock for a few seconds to fold the mirrors. The engine will stay on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Didn't check the key fob but it you touch the door handle with the car running, the car will lock and the mirrors fold in. Since the fob is programmed the same way, the action should be the same. Will have to check but am reasonably certain it will.
You're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
When you go to the dealership for scheduled Service, or an unexpected WTF issue :-O....Will the coding stay, if BMW hooks the car up and does any "software updates"? Are these codes permanent??
During a normal service they shouldn't have to touch the software, but if there is a software update applied to your car the coding will be erased. It can easily be recoded though.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL 6 View Post
Yup - and if you get a refresh on a schedule maintenance (which they do to clear faulty codes or service warnings) you will have to reprogram. Same as if you have a the DINAN flash - they will re flash that for free.
Re-coding really takes all but 5 minutes anyway. So it's a non-issue.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_o View Post
yes, if the engine is running you can get out of the car, lock the doors and then hold to lock for a few seconds to fold the mirrors. The engine will stay on.
Awesome!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Dealers don't care nor do the techs waste time looking for coding because basically they have to look for the values you changed which is impossible unless they're specifically looking for a change.

I actually had a local BMW dealer ask me where I got my coding done because supposedly a lot of customers have asked for certain features to be added and I was told that BMW dealers can't code certain features because there software is locked due to legal issues.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
yes coding the car is a must!!! i learned here how to do it. confusing at first but very easy after you're into it.

Last edited by coco135; 05-02-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Lol, I've had people from dealerships call me to do their cars. After all, they are human too, they want these same features!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
Dealers don't care nor do the techs waste time looking for coding because basically they have to look for the values you changed which is impossible unless they're specifically looking for a change.

I actually had a local BMW dealer ask me where I got my coding done because supposedly a lot of customers have asked for certain features to be added and I was told that BMW dealers can't code certain features because there software is locked due to legal issues.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li xDrive
Wow, I really would love some of those features. Please forgive me for asking (without searching) but can someone please send me the link to purchase the cable for coding? Thanks...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeB View Post
Wow, I really would love some of those features. Please forgive me for asking (without searching) but can someone please send me the link to purchase the cable for coding? Thanks...
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=20

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App

Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li xDrive
Thanks F01
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 13 750i
Since I'm not very tech savy nor do I have the time to do this, how much will shops charge for this service? Also, anyone from Tampa FL area that can help?
BTW...F01, Thanks for always pointing me to the right direction.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
I want this done like ASAFP!!!

Anyone here in the Dallas area can hook a bruh up?

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
With the cable Patryk and most others can do it remotely. They guide you through the whole process. Just download software they want you to and plug in cable and they do the rest. That is all. Try him at info@bimmer-tech.net

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
With the cable Patryk and most others can do it remotely. They guide you through the whole process. Just download software they want you to and plug in cable and they do the rest. That is all. Try him at info@bimmer-tech.net
Not free! Unless you buy from him a major retrofit upgrade. As I said before it took me 24 hours to get the cable and 24 min to learn how to do it myself. Had people wanting $250+ to do simple coding that now that I know how takes me 75-90 seconds.