Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
I had an F30, not an F10 but I'll throw my 2 pennies in anyway. I thought the F30 seats were very comfortable, but after long drives i would have some lower back pain, and left leg pain. I have an E90 M3 now, and I'm not sure the M3 seats are more comfortable, maybe about the same, though not as adjustable (side bolster adjustment in F30 was great). However, I don't have pain after driving the M3 after long drives. (Vibration like I chopped down a redwood with a chainsaw, a little, but no pain) Both seats are essentially in the same position I like to drive in. (Low as it can go, seat back reclined, thigh rest fully out, no lumbar support engaged) I'm 5' 11 230.
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
jfox, you know that the M3 has adjustable side bolsters, right? I think they are superb.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
i got the same problem moving from an Audi A4 B8, i always travel from MD to Canada to visit family and friends, no problem at all with my old Audi, but get lower back pain with the F10
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I feel these are the best seats I've sat in. And I have the base Dakota seats.

I'm 6'4 so maybe it's formatted better for taller people?
Some of the forum members will swear by the multi-contour seats to their dying day, saying the standard seats are trash. Actually, IMO, when I looked at the F10's initially, it appeared to me the two seat types were closer than ever, and though I didn't play with all the controls of the multi-contours, there wasn't much difference in basic feel of the seats. The standard seats are quite supportive and well designed, IMO. Far superior to your average car, certainly not comparable whatsoever to a Honda Accord.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Far superior to your average car, certainly not comparable whatsoever to a Honda Accord.
From a feature perspective, correct.

From a comfort perspective, they are pretty darn close.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I'm a big guy and have been prone to back issues, but I found the F10's multicontour seats to be quite comfortable, even on my 2,400 mile road trip. I also found them to be more comfortable than the sport seats in my 335d or the multicontour seats in the X5M. The 20-way seats on the 650 have similar feel, just a bit less width and cushioning.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
So now I'm wondering if they aren't so comfortable for little guys like me (5' 6"). Everyone here who is big (e.g. 6' +) finds them comfortable?

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Some of the forum members will swear by the multi-contour seats to their dying day, saying the standard seats are trash. Actually, IMO, when I looked at the F10's initially, it appeared to me the two seat types were closer than ever, and though I didn't play with all the controls of the multi-contours, there wasn't much difference in basic feel of the seats. The standard seats are quite supportive and well designed, IMO. Far superior to your average car, certainly not comparable whatsoever to a Honda Accord.
I agree. Coming out of a newer E-Class, one of the first things I noticed about my F10 was how insanely comfortable I found the seats to be. My friend who has a newer W212 E Class and has an Acura TL with Leather seats sat in my new F10 and immediately his face went into this sublimely-blissed-out expression while he expressed how comfortable the seats are. He's 6'2 as well. Seems the seats maybe fit best for taller people?
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Way to go BMW, build a car to target the rapidly expanding chinese market and make the seat comfy for 6'2 / 200 lbs and up...
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
LOL.

Actually one of the reasons I came to BMW from Mercedes is because it seems they (BMW) build their cars for taller people, in comparison. M-B with their historically large "boats" seem make cars for shorter (than "taller") people, and I say this because at 6'4 I can't fit in a CLS or HUGE CL without having to kink my neck, it's utterly annoying and ridiculous considering I'm not Shaq or anything. Even my E-Class didn't have adequate headroom for me (I always put seats as far down as I could), as I had to slouch to not rub too much against the headliner. In an accident situation I was worried it would be way too unsafe. An SLS? Pfft, I can't even get IN the thing, such lousy headroom. It doesn't help that M-B have a very upright, "mature" seating position which makes it awkward when putting the backrest back. BMW have a sportier, "Coupier", simply "sexier" seating position in even their sedans, where it's angled in a way where rolling the backrest back if needed makes sense and "works".

BMW in comparison even give me pretty decent heaadroom in their Coupes, like the 6 and 6GC. My F10 felt WAY more fit for me than my E-Class did, where I always felt I was in a car designed for shorter people.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 04-09-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
I have multi contour seats, I'm 5' 11" 195lbs and find the seats comfortable.
You can use the multi contour seats to support more of your upper weight against the backrest, then the seat should be set so the your thighs are equally supported along the length, not significantly tilted towards your bum. If you fully utilize the lumbar support you will just redistribute your upper body weight to a section of your lower back that is not adapted to accept that pressure for extended periods. So in general, when you are adjusting your seats think of it as minimizing the weight towards your lower back/bum versus feeling the most comfortable at that moment in time. Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I'm 5'10" 155lbs with the MCS and these are the most comfortable seats i've ever sat in.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
My E60 had comfort seats and both my wife and I loved them.
My F10 has standard seats and they are inferior in every way. My wife used to get hip pain after an hour in the F10 but she eventually found a comfortable position (absolutely flat bottom, upright back)
I don't have the lumbar inflated at all and also have the seat fairly flat (unlike my tilted E60 seats).
All I can suggest is to keep trying to find your own sweet-spot.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
This thread is interesting and timely for me.

Last week I completed a 400 mi r/t road trip, and towards the end, I noticed I was feeling very good after the long journey. No fatigue and no pain.

I used to do the same trip in my E60, and I'd start to have a sore back at the end.

As much as I wanted to hate the F10 seats, because they lack the bolsters found on the E60, I think I have to reluctantly prefer the F10 seats since I lacked any pain.

I still miss the side bolsters, though.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i
Zip ties

I recently purchased a 2013 528i. After driving the car for a few days I noticed the lumbar bag felt like it wasn't fully deflating. It actually was fully deflating, but there is a large spring behind the bag that was hitting me in the lower back. I am 5 8 and noticed others here of similar height complaining of similar issues.

The fix for me was simple. I removed the seat backs, located the horizontal spring and used zip ties to pull the spring back and anchor it to the seat frame. All of the lumbar features are still fully functional, but the spring is no longer pushing on my lower back when the lumbar is fully deflated.

I will try to post pics of the mod next weekend.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Never owned an E60.

I can tell you that I love my F10 Luxury seats. I find them to be the most comfortable car seats I've ever owned. More comfortable than the Sports Seats in my X3. I will say that I owned Acuras before moving to the BMW brand.

After a long drive I used to feel my hamstrings tighten and my back get sore- no more.

Luxury seating includes the awesome massage feature and that gentle back and forth motion improves the front seat's riders circulation. If you don't like your seats I highly recommend the Luxury Seating option for your next BMW.

Again, I can't compare the F10 to the E60.

I'm 5'11" and 190#.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 07-27-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335XI, X3, 535XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Never owned an E60.

I can tell you that I love my F10 Luxury seats. I find them to be the most comfortable car seats I've ever owned. More comfortable than the Sports Seats in my X3. I will say that I owned Acuras before moving to the BMW brand.

After a long drive I used to feel my hamstrings tighten and my back get sore- no more.

Luxury seating includes the awesome massage feature and that gentle back and forth motion improves the front seat's riders circulation. If you don't like your seats I highly recommend the Luxury Seating option for your next BMW.

Again, I can't compare the F10 to the E60.

I'm 5'11" and 190#.
+1
F10 seats Luxury package are the best seats I have ever experienced, and I have a herniated disk L4,5. and these seats are fantastic, and no fatigue after three or four hour driving trips.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i XDrive M Sport
32 years old, 5'5", 160lbs.

Previous car was an 12 Acura TL. I have the multi contour seats in my F10. I have no complaints. Only had the car for 3 weeks, put 1200 miles on it, but I can't say that the seats are uncomfortable.

I don't use the lumbar, never have in any car. But the seats are just fine for me, not anymore comfortable than the TL, not any less.

I really like the way the seat back "bends" to meet your shoulders. That's the stand out feature of the seats for me.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
I'm impressed how seemingly healthy all the posters are here. BMW and other luxury brand owners have the reputation of being Fat Cats.

Sorry, getting off topic.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I don't notice an appreciable difference between the seats in my F10 vs. E60 (both with the multi-contours).

When I first got my E60 I could not get comfortable. That car taught me I had been driving wrong my entire life. I was sitting too far back and with too much recline. I read some articles about how race car drivers set up their seats and wound up sitting much closer to the wheel and with less recline. It took awhile to get used to it but ultimately it is a lot more comfortable and offers better steering control.

As for lumbar support, I never liked them, always keep them deflated as much as possible. I think the benefits of lumbar support are greatly overrated.

We are conditioned to believe our backs are fragile and subject to chronic injury and not designed for sitting. If you think you might get back pain, you probably will. The mind is a very powerful thing.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
I'm with RaveD. Many years ago I was having lower back pain. My GP asked if I drove a lot. He said for many people a fully extended leg while driving creates lower back pain. Many years later, no more lower back pain. I'm accustomed to sitting closer and never give it a thought.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Cold Weather, DAP, LED Lights, Premium Package, Shades, MC Seats, HK Sound

Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xDrive
This nice video explains it all...

Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
I found the video very instructive. Thanks. I am one of the fat cats. Short (5'6") and heavy. I came to F10 from a MB E550. IMHO the seats are comparable. I now have multi-contour and the lumbar is useful as are the side bolsters. I don't especially care for the magic inflation/deflation feature so I don't use it. Two weeks ago I spent many hours in the car from NY to Boston to pick someone up at the airport and then to Cape Cod, all in the same day. I have a chronic bad back (2 surgeries on L5/S1 disk) and I was fine at the end of the day. I do not think, however, that there is any way to generalize about either how "bad" or how "good" the seats are. It's just too variable, maybe as variable as personal opinions on paint colors.
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, plus others.

Last edited by weinschela; 07-29-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
BMW F10 front seats and back pain

I traded my E60 two months ago for a 2011 F10; both cars with M Sport pkg and multi-contour seats. For whatever reason I could never find the "correct" position for the driver's seat in my E60. In the F10, however, I found a dramatic improvement in comfort level with respect to the driver's seat. Long drives are now comfortable; I could not say that of the E60 seats.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
OK, I guess I am one of the "big people" at 6'4", 240 lbs. No matter how much I fiddled with it, I had a limit of about 150 miles on our E 60. Loved the car, but it just wasn't very comfortable.
Enter the F 10, 2013 535i standard seats. Much more comfort, and much easier ingress/egress. I can drive this car forever.

Wife would give diametrically opposite review.

We own a Ferrari 360 Spider. Seats go up/down, forward/back and the lumbar adjustment is a big manual knob. Would drive this car to the moon and back.