Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive M-Sport
Here is another good article on proper seat adjustment:

http://ergonomics.about.com/od/car/s...m#step-heading

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
I'm not a fan of the F10 comfort seats - they have a "bar" or "fold" in a similar spot to my 2006 Acura RL (which I also didn't like). I know top half of the seats articulate, but so did those in my E39 and various Audis.

They've become a little more comfortable over time - and my 2013 is better than my 2011 - but even increasing lumbar just makes me feel like I'm sitting "on top" (in front) of the seat, and doesn't solve the root cause issue.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I'm not a fan of the F10 comfort seats - they have a "bar" or "fold" in a similar spot to my 2006 Acura RL (which I also didn't like). I know top half of the seats articulate, but so did those in my E39 and various Audis.

They've become a little more comfortable over time - and my 2013 is better than my 2011 - but even increasing lumbar just makes me feel like I'm sitting "on top" (in front) of the seat, and doesn't solve the root cause issue.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
For me my E90 Sports seats although hugged my body the best it would always give me lower back pains after long drives. The F10 on the other hand makes me feel great even being on the road for 2-3 hours straight

Alan
I'm in the same boat, my 335's sport seats were amazing in the corners but 2+ hrs in them killed my back. My F10's active seats are like big comfy couches in comparison
Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
While I know you mean well, please don't presume to tell folks with the Comfort Seats that they don't know how to adjust them. In my case, I had two different BMW's in the garage at once with Comfort Seats (an E70 X5D and the 2011 550), and figuring out how to set the seats was NOT the issue. Using the exact same settings, the E70's were amazingly comfortable from the get go, while the F10's were a nightmare.

From the various posts here and on the other F10 boards, I've concluded that there were a batch of bad seats with mis-installed lumbar supports, primarily in the 2011's. My own car was a great example: the passenger seat was sublimely comfortable, while the driver's seat felt like it had a 2 x 4 laid across my kidneys. AFAIK no one with a 2013 or later has had this problem, so I am convinced it was a manufacturing defect from the supplier.

BTW the Comfort Seats in my 2014 are spectacular. Not the slightest bit of discomfort, even though I have them adjusted exactly the same as I had my 2011.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 07-31-2014, 04:58 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
While I know you mean well, please don't presume to tell folks with the Comfort Seats that they don't know how to adjust them. In my case, I had two different BMW's in the garage at once with Comfort Seats (an E70 X5D and the 2011 550), and figuring out how to set the seats was NOT the issue. Using the exact same settings, the E70's were amazingly comfortable from the get go, while the F10's were a nightmare.

From the various posts here and on the other F10 boards, I've concluded that there were a batch of bad seats with mis-installed lumbar supports, primarily in the 2011's. My own car was a great example: the passenger seat was sublimely comfortable, while the driver's seat felt like it had a 2 x 4 laid across my kidneys. AFAIK no one with a 2013 or later has had this problem, so I am convinced it was a manufacturing defect from the supplier.

BTW the Comfort Seats in my 2014 are spectacular. Not the slightest bit of discomfort, even though I have them adjusted exactly the same as I had my 2011.

Not to belabor the point too badly, but I have a 2013 with the "good" seats and they are not comfortable to me (E60 seats were far more comfortable). The lowest setting of lumbar still puts pressure on my spine just a like that article says should be avoided.

My wife complains her knees hurt after sitting in the F10 for more than an hour (side note: she knows how to adjust seats).

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
Each has their own opinions. For me, the standard seats did not have enough T-spine support. Comfort seats/Sport were the answer with articulating backrests. There's a huge difference between an E60's sport/comfort seats and the F10's. The F10 sport/comfort seats are a must have option. Standard seats are not impressive. But to each their own.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi
Well said.. Each has its own opinion.
This is what I can tell you, I have driven Honda Accord, Infiniti Q and G, Nissan Z, and now the F10 550xi with comfort seat, Accord gave me the back problem, so does the F10. Tried all kinds of settings. Finally, took friend's advice and bought the Teeter Hang Up Spinal Stretch and the problem went away after the first try. For those having lower back pain after driving your F10 for a while, give it try.. Less than $100.. It worked for me

http://www.amazon.com/Teeter-Hang-Up...spinal+stretch
Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2 BMW's
If anyone is looking to trade their comfort or sport seats for the standard F10 seats, I am very interested in paying cash.

I have experienced a wide variety of BMW seats and am looking for the opportunity to add the comfort seats to my car.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
So I didn't want to comment on this thread until I've done some more extensive driving in my F10. I just came back from a long (12 hours there + 11 hours back) drive for Labor Day weekend. I have to say the seats on the F10 are simply awesome After multi-hour driving I had absolutely no back pain whatsoever - and I do have back problems, and on my previous car I start to feel my back after only 1 hour of driving. I do have the luxury seating package - multi-countour, including the massager. But they are awesome!!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
My lower back loves the lumbar support feature. I also enjoy setting the heat function, via the idrive settings, to apply heat to the seat back exclusively - versus on your butt. It feels great on the lower back muscles when my back is stiff/sore.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2 BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
My lower back loves the lumbar support feature. I also enjoy setting the heat function, via the idrive settings, to apply heat to the seat back exclusively - versus on your butt. It feels great on the lower back muscles when my back is stiff/sore.
This must be a specific option on select cars as I have not seen it on any 5 series in Canada