Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2007
X3 bogs down when accelerating

Just bought an x3. 63 k. Seller filled the gas tank on delivery. 87 octane. After couple of days, it started to lag when accelerating. Doesn't matter if cold or hot. Dash " service engine soon" light came on. Filled it up with 92 octane but still have problem. ( terrible mileage). Misses, does not accelerate as should or lags, stalls, then takes off as I push on the throttle. Thinking o2 sensors, bad plugs or injectors? Is this a fix I can do or do I need to take to get the codes? Has anyone else experienced this? Loathe to take to dealer as I do not want to work with them.
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
I would run the codes first to try to isolate the issue.

Right now you are just guessing. Heck it could just be the dreaded 07 tranny issue, but knowing the codes will help.

Last edited by x3brian; 04-08-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the input. Yeah know I am guessing...was thinking someone has gone through this somewhere. Have owned a few bmw's and this is the first one that has caused me any consternation at all. If you have insight to the "dreaded 07 tyranny issue" I would appreciate being enlightened. New to me...but haven't owned an x3 before or come across the problem. Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yrowner View Post
Thanks for the input. Yeah know I am guessing...was thinking someone has gone through this somewhere. Have owned a few bmw's and this is the first one that has caused me any consternation at all. If you have insight to the "dreaded 07 tyranny issue" I would appreciate being enlightened. New to me...but haven't owned an x3 before or come across the problem. Thanks
There is a sticky on the issue that you can read here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262130
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330I ZHP
I have the same car. I had MANYYY issues and still do. Wish I never bought it. But the symptoms you describe I fixed a while back. Make sure your tires are all the same brand and size...if not get new ones. Also, I had to replace my transfer case fluid but at your mileage IDK. Check for oil leaks. My valve cover was leaking oil onto my spark plugs. I replaced the plugs and coilpacks. Dont bring it to the dealer unless you need the computer programmed. Bring it to an indy shop and let them diagnose it for 100-200 and then you will know what needs to be replaced. Then look here or other forums for some nice diy writeups and then shop around for the parts. I use turnermotorsport mostly and fcpeuro sometimes. Dont buy any electrical parts for autozone for any car.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Having the same problem as above, but I can get the service light to go off by turning off car. Service engine light comes on and it shuts down an entire cylinder. Turn car off, turn back on and light goes out, car runs fine. I can MAKE the service engine light come on by tromping on the gas to pass. Haven't had this issue before and now is starting to become more frequent. Codes thrown indicate cylinder issue. Should I change fuel filter or injector first?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
X3 bogs down when accelerating

Could be the coil for that cylinder. Swap coils from another cylinder and see if faults follow the coil.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: X3
i had this problem on a vw gti and it was along the lines of what aturkinside said. valve cover gasket allowing oil to get on spark plugs.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the input. Have not resolved the first issue. Have learned to live with the tranny issue. Has gotten better as I have put more miles on the car.
Another issue.
It is now getting cold here in the Dakotas. If the temp is below or near freezing, first start in the morning, temp comes up, three miles into commute the cooling fan comes on, cabin has cold air.
When the temp is near the "Normal" mark, I will pull over, shut down engine, wait for fan to quit. Restart, heater blows warm air. no fan. No loss of power or lags. If I do not restart it will continue to blow cold air into the cabin. This morning the fan came back on. I have checked the coolant of course. No leaks and it is full.
Thanks