Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: M3 e93
Unhappy M3 E93 killer DCT

Hi All,

As you can see, long time lurker, first post...

Back in December I picked up my first M3, I've wanted one for a while and spent 3 months finding one that ticked all of the boxes. Less than 4 months in I'm thinking of selling up...

This is my first DCT and first auto. My journey to work is less than 5 miles each way so I'm not putting any decent miles on the car. It's a 2008 model E93 will full history and 20k on the clock, it looks fantastic, sounds fantastic and I want to love the car but I'm starting to dread getting behind the wheel.

I've read plenty of posts about software upgrades and I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to check the version for my car.

In the mornings when cold its horrible to drive, reversing off the drive it almost feels like the clutch is slipping as you need to rev the car slightly harder to get it to move, pop it in to first, wait for a second or two for something to happen and pull off. Its fine when accelerating, but when maintaining a constand speed or coming off the gas it seems to shutter along. Give it 3 minutes to warm up and it drives fine! I can live with this, the problem is the killer DCT change down.

When the car is warm (or cold) the change down, under braking, from 3rd to 2nd seems to take forever. It's caught me out a few times and invoked some serious road rage tonight from another driver. Change up is instant, change down is instant - so long as you are on the gas. When braking 3rd to 2nd has a delay of a second or two - it may not seem like a lot but when you are coasting out in to traffic pushing the gas waiting for something to happen it feels like a lifetime!

My brother has been driving auto's for years borrowed the car over the weekend and can see no problems - has anyone else experienced these issues. I love the car just don't like driving it, I just hope it's a software issue.
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Get a software update and report back........this car is nothing like a auto. You are experiencing the well documented DCT lag. The cold behaviors you are experiencing are normal. If you have been a manual driver all your life some of this should be familiar territory. GL with the software update.............Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Yes reflash will change your experience.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks both. I had to ring BMW customer services in the UK first as I want to get the upgrade for the OBD port done at the same time (a friend recently had a 3 series stolen in London using the key coding method from the OBD port). The lady I spoke with saw it was an M3 from the registration and actually told me not to hang around booking it in!! They confirmed that the car hadn't had the upgrade even though it was in for a service in December (and the software was released in September). They said I could book it in for a free OBD upgrade and told me to call my local dealer to arrange this and the additional work (although I will probably have to pay for the software, hopefully it will be worth it). I'll report back with the before and after experience..
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 coupe
Wink Same here!

I just took my 2011 M3 with DCT to the dealer for the warmup issues. They opened a PUMA case and had the car for 5 days. Final resolution: nothing is wrong, "Normal Operation During Warmup" So, unless there is some magic trick performed by the software upgrade, you may save the money and time, to get the same results.

Just my 2c
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
When cold I run everything on the softest settings and it still runs a little rough. If you start out in something like S4 or higher you'll have a bucking bronco.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM

Booked in for OBD port software upgrade and inspection on Friday, will update the post when done. I'm going to cancel the inspection and just insist on the software upgrade. I hope it makes a difference - if not I've got a buyer lined up as my brother is currently trying to find an M3 after driving mine!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Smile

Ok, all done. The dealer took some convincing before they would apply the update as no fault codes were found. They wanted me to go for a drive with the mechanic in the car to show them the issue (I was an hour away from the dealers site and I didn't want to delay things further). In the end I just insisted they applied the software and they did.

What a difference, change down now is almost instant and the throttle also blips down between gears when not in M mode - it never did this before. It also seems much more inteligent on gear choice when slowing so doesn't always just try to jump to second unless it needs to.

It amazes me that it is so difficult to get this done even when insisting others have resolved the issue with a software update - they told me not to read forums for advice!! The dealer called me today for feedback and was genuinely surprised by my positive response - this is a big dealer in my area with plenty of M cars for sale.

Anyway, I'm happy, the car is staying and I'm enjoying it far more. Thanks all for the advice.