Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 E46
Another window regulator thread

This is likely to be a window regulator thread- I am summing up the extent of what I've learned as I researched this issue- feel free to add your thoughts and suggestions.

Some background- E90 325I 2006 model. Rear driver side window stuck down and won't roll up. The motor makes a grinding noise so I suspect that the regulator is broken somehow. I have not had time to remove the door panel to check it out yet.

I have looked at a bunch of DIY videos however and it looks like it could take a while for the first time.

I've also researched the part number which is 51*35*7*140*589.

It costs only $48+shipping at ImportECParts
but $101+shipping at Tischer

I've received quotes from my local independent mechanic of 170 for labor alone. Another place was 289 for part+labor. The local stealership wanted 531 for labor alone.

I also checked Craigslist and found some people who do mobile glass installations and one place was willing to replace for labor for only $75- which seems too good to be true?

My plan of action is to try to remove the door panel to see what the problem is (take pictures), and to order the part online at the minimum. I'm not sure if I should go with the cheap labor option or the local indies.

I would try to do it myself but honestly after looking at a bunch of the DIY videos- I am still not comfortable. I also have not found a picture only DIY of a rear E90 replacement- the videos are a little too jumpy for me.

LINKS
ImportECParts
http://www.importecparts.com/Product...40589&CartID=1

Tischer
http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/200...=1&searchtext=
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM
dallas70

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
This is a bolt-in replacement. I was in exactly the same situation you're in several months ago; same car, same window. I did the same homework, comparing cost of having the dealer do it or buying the part and doing it myself. I chose to replace it myself and am happy I did. I'd have to go back and look at the receipt but it was less than $125 for a new BMW regulator; would have cost me about three times that to have someone else do it. Use a manual (Bentley or Haynes) and it isn't hard if you have the few tools required to unbolt and pop off the panel and unbolt the regulator. I took my time to carefully remove the "insulation" inside the door panel and analyze how everything was put together; took me a couple of hours. Now that I've done it I could replace another regulator in about half an hour. Go for it; you'll be glad you did (and so will your wallet).