Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
BIMMER ****IE

Mein Auto: 09 Z4 S35i/98 Maxima
Aloha!

Just joined the forum and am looking forward to the education. I am searching for a 2009/10 Z4 and will be picking brains to find the best one.
Thanks in advance
Paul

[IMG]

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/05/z4_1280_27_opt.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z4_1280_27_opt.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	370583  
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
BIMMER ****IE

So here is my deal. I am looking for a blue or gold 09/10 Z4 (3.0 or 3.5, doesn't matter) with low mileage and a tan interior (specific I know) I live in Hawaii and while they have a few Z4s here, they are not what I am looking for. I have looked at EBay, AutoTrader and various other sites looking for the best deal. I am willing to wait or even pay for shipping to Hawaii for the right deal. I am even willing to wait for a year or so and get a used 11 or 12 with low mileage.
I would like to know user's experience/dealings with CPO Z4s and if they are worth the premium. If they are, are the extended maintenance plans also worth it? I understand the dealers make their money on the "CPO" premium as well as the service options with people bringing their cars back to the dealer. Being in the military I plan on holding on to the car for a while and do not need to go to dealer service bays if a reputable mechanic can do the work for a better price. I also will not be in Hawaii for the rest of my life so "portability" of the warranty would have to play into the equation if it is germane.
I can certainly do the basics of oil/fluid changes but am looking for longer term experiences with the Z4 to see how many and what kind of problems people have experienced.
25 years ago i bought a 5 y/o MB 190E 2.3. While it was a fun sedan for a young junior officer, it ate me alive with repair costs. So much so that I swore I would never buy a used German auto again. Now that I am older (hopefully wiser) and have a little more spending money, I am ready to try a used German auto but this time want a Z4.
I have had a Nissan Maxima for the last 15 years and have LOVED the reliability and low total cost of ownership. However, there is just something about this specific Z4 I WANT!
I would be interested in actual Z4 ownership experiences and any intel on good deals that you may know about
Thanks
Paul
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Would you be interested in a Titanium Silver 2009 Z4 35i (manual transmission)? Miles are very low.
2008 335i Convertible Space Gray (retired)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I currently have only 16K on this '09 you see below and I bought it CPO last July with only 9K on it. At the time I purchased it I had planned on keeping it for 3 or 4 years so I did not buy the extended warranty because I doubt I would ever get enough miles on it to justify the cost. If you are getting a CPO vehicle chances are it will be in great shape because they normally go through a pretty extensive inspection prior to being listed as CPO. I guess if you are willing to wait to get exactly what you want and plan on keeping it for a long time then an extended warranty may be the way to go. I am selling mine in a couple of months so I can get into the new 435i when it comes out, so if you decide to go with red let me know.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM
BIMMER ****IE

Daron, what color interior, what options and what are you selling it for? I have to factor in shipping to Hawaii as well
Thanks
Paul
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
BIMMER ****IE

rdkind, red is a nice option. when would you be selling and for how much?
thanks
paul
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i
if you would want to get an extended warranty try to contact these two guys.
danieldutton@pacificbmw.com
jandrews@schaefferbmw.com

first email is the guy work in pacific BMW,CA
sec. from Schaeffer BMW Wilmington, NC
they both have better deal than 2 of my local dealership which help me save around $700 of gold plan 7/70 I paid $2720 to the pacific BMW(this guy reply my email faster so I prefer go with him)
no tax but you have to mail the key for them to purchase extended warranty once the transaction complete they will return it back. my local dealership was an joke they told me the price is firm and they can't do nothing about it. lucky I got these information from other z4 owner so I could save some money.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 AM

Here is the link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...644&highlight=

Are you Corps by the way? Buddy of mine just retired from the Corps as a Lt. Col. and was based somewhere near Pearl.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddammitchop View Post
rdkind, red is a nice option. when would you be selling and for how much?
thanks
paul
I sent you a PM.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 PM
BIMMER ****IE

Thanks Kai, great intel.
Paul
Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
I didn't purchase the extended warranty on the Z4, as I wanted to save the money since I do my own oil changes and fluid changes. CPO is well worth it though.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM
BIMMER ****IE

Thanks, that is good to know carz
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM
BIMMER ****IE

After test driving a 2012 this weekend I am now second guessing the manual transmission. I always thought a roadster should be manual but the double clutch paddle shifters were not as bad as i thought. I would be interested in the consensus feedback between stick vs auto on the Z4, especially given that 95% of the Z4s sold are automatic (or so the dealer tells me)
Thanks
Paul
Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
BIMMER ****IE

30 vs 35 resale

Are the turbo charged Z4s that much better when it comes to resale? I drove the 28 this weekend and the turbo 4 was not as impressive and smooth as the straight 6. Thoughts?
Thanks
Paul
Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 AM

I agree, the double clutch is great. Not sure re: resale ... all I can say is the twin turbo 6 never lacks for power.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
After test driving a 2012 this weekend I am now second guessing the manual transmission. I always thought a roadster should be manual but the double clutch paddle shifters were not as bad as i thought. I would be interested in the consensus feedback between stick vs auto on the Z4, especially given that 95% of the Z4s sold are automatic (or so the dealer tells me)
Thanks
Paul
People aer all over the board with DCT vs 6MT. Having had a DCT and now a manual, I can say I enjoy driving this car with a manual much better. The only thing I miss are the incredibly fast shifts. But driving a manual is more engaging and for me that means more fun. Also, less mechanical problems down the road with a less complicated tranny.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Convertible
Good luck with your search. I purchased my 2011 as a CPO and have had no issues whatsoever. Regarding the transmission, I test-drove the automatic and the 6MT; to me, there was no comparison and I went with the 6MT. Enjoy whatever you decide to purchase!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i
I think at least get 35I and if you want more power...very slighty ecu reflash without any other mod will give you about 360 HP for safe tune. unless if you want to get better gas mileage and not just power will be better go for 28.
6speed and DCT really no comparesion, depend on what kinda driving style you are more prefer, both are great and have difference advantage. I used to drive manual car for long time until I choose for 35I dct automatic. I love 6speed manual but now sometime I am a lazy guy that I feel tired always shifting when just driving on the boring traffic jam road or etc ....DCT give you choice for relax driving but also very quick shifting respond if you want to go for manual mod and you can skip gear very fast just like manual car too. the pro. for manual that I feel you are totally in control the car and fun and more skill. DCT give you more foucs on driving. for straight line I think an very skillful manual driver still can't beat the DCT as it shift too fast too smooth. for me I love both transmission just don't give me regular automatic that will be really sux if you choose DCT just make sure you are ready to disable your left foot for now on....
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by daron001 View Post
Here is the link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...644&highlight=

Are you Corps by the way? Buddy of mine just retired from the Corps as a Lt. Col. and was based somewhere near Pearl.
The last time I was over at K-Bay, I saw what looked like a black 2007ish E85 30si on base and thought... man, this guy gets it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 AM
BIMMER ****IE

So the deed is done

Took home my sapphire blue metallic (with an ivory interior) 2009 35i with all the trimmings. only 22K on a CPO car and I couldn't be happier.
Now that I have it, I need to make sure that I keep it looking as great as it does, so any help on products to keep the leather and the paint looking as good as when the dealer handed me the keys after detailing it would be appreciated.
I am also interested in what your biggest headaches are. How many folks have replaced the run flats due to either wear and tear (how long have they lasted) or desire for more ride comfort.
The roads are TERRIBLE here in Hawaii and while I am pleasantly surprised with the ride comfort with the RFT, I have a set on them on my 2005 Odyssey that I cannot stand but am not willing to fork over the $2000+ to convert. I understand that putting all season tires on the Z4 is cheaper and might look into it when it comes time to replace the current RFT but would appreciate some insight
Thanks
Paul
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Zaino products inside and out for keeping the car looking beautiful. http://www.zainostore.com/

Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Z4 35i Rider

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i
I am sticking with my brand new RFT's that were put on at purchase until they wear out. I will change then. The Z is a sports car and designed to be a firm ride. The RTF stiffer side wall of the tires are sometimes harsh, but that part of the deal for me. As well with little to no resale of used RFT tires, I will run mine into the ground an enjoy doing it. I too just purchased the Zaino Ultimate Protection kit. I cannoit wait to get started. Seems to be the best products over all others I have seen and used.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/Space Gray Metallic/7 Speed DCT/Premium,Cold Weather & Premium Sound Packages/Nav/Comfort Access/Ash Grain Interior & Dash Kit/AntiTheft/SportWheel/PDC/WindDeflector/Black Kansas Leather/Smoked Reflectors, Side Markers & 3rd Brake Light/Ferrari Red Brake Calipers/Clear Front Mask/Gloss Black Grill Inserts/6000K LED Lighting/De-Badged/Aluminum Pedal Set/Real Carbon Fiber BMW Door Sills/CF Wrapped Engine Compartment Roundels,F Lower Grills & Center Wheel Caps.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 PM
BIMMER ****IE

Rdkind- thanks for the info. I will look into Zaino. Can you only buy them online or in retail stores too?
Rider- I agree with your thread. If I change the RFT at all it would not be until the current ones need to go. Good to hear you concur on the Zaino as well
Thanks
Paul
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Rdkind- thanks for the info. I will look into Zaino. Can you only buy them online or in retail stores too?
Rider- I agree with your thread. If I change the RFT at all it would not be until the current ones need to go. Good to hear you concur on the Zaino as well
Thanks
Paul
You can only get the Zaino products from the online store, but I think the price is pretty reasonable, and if you read about their products they tell you that you should use them sparingly so each bottle lasts quite a while.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
I would recommend Sonax or go to Chemical Guys (on line and see the products in action on you tube sessions on how to use their products. I have much success with both products. I have used Zymol, P21s, PRIMA, Groits, Zaino and they are all good products. My best results have been with SONAX and Chemical Guys.

Products found in local Auto Parts stores and discount stores are not the same as if you purchased from the company. It is like oiol - the Castrol oil may have the same label and look the same in Walmart but it is not the European Castrol recommended for use.

Good luck and enjoy your choice of Product.