Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura RL
2014 Nav features idrive 4.2

I'm sure it is already posted, but I came across this:

BMWs iDrive4.2. Display and control in the third dimension.

The newest BMW navigation system features a revised design and honed operating system. The menu-driven navigation system has been augmented by new functions. The user interface includes revised graphics and now comprises 3D elements, while the entire architecture of the individual menus is now presented in virtual, three dimensional spaces. Its 1.3 GHz processor and dedicated 3D graphics card, bring new levels of animation and dynamic transitions.

Along with the menu presentation, the navigation displays have been revised and enhanced. The map displays and guidance information are now depicted with even greater brilliance and sharpness than before. Additional function bars allow the map view to be customized quickly and simply without having to leave the map. The new function bars are superimposed as an extension of the original map bar and open up additional options. This allows for Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) or weather updates to be superimposed, points-of-interest to be displayed, or the map to be quickly switched from top view to perspective view. Standardization of the control bars in the multimedia sphere facilitates operation of a wide range of audio sources.

The Pie menu: greater operating convenience at a click.

The interactive map view also comes with the option of selecting special functions directly from the map. Using the iDrive Controller, the driver can mark a spot in the interactive map to open the Pie menu. This radial menu offers quick and easy access to a host of options. Depending on the information stored, the driver can have points-of-interest in the area flagged, read up on any stored details, start navigation to any of the points-of-interest, alter the map view and have the current location or destination displayed. If further information on a point-of-interest such as the telephone number is also stored, the driver can instantly access it and make a call.

Split-screen display with more detailed guidance views.

The split screen in the central information display also adds newfunctions. While entering the destination byselecting the state, city and road, the chosen location is also displayed in the map view on the split screen. The zoom functioncan be used to verify whether the destination shown in the relevant section of the map is the intended one.

For the navigation process itself, the familiar arrow guidance in the split screen has now been joined by a high-level guidance feature. This is automatically activated when the driver reaches a certain point ahead of the next navigation instruction. From a specified distance, which varies according to the category of road, the arrow display turns into a schematic, perspective view of the surroundings. This gives the driver even better orientation thanks to an enhanced depiction of the location and precise lane guidance. For an optimal picture, the perspective view changes in stages to a top view of the junction or intersection as the vehicle approaches it, while a dynamic vehicle indicator pinpoints the cars current position.

The new 3D city model offers another view of select cities to aid navigation. If the 3D representation is available, a highly realistic depiction of the surrounding streets and buildings makes it easier for the driver to find their way around.

The mobile office: dictation function, voice memos and voice control.

The latest-generation navigation system features a full speech recognition function and optimized voice control system to complete the portfolio of office functions offered by BMW ConnectedDrive as BMW. The full speech recognition system now includes the dictation function which gives drivers the opportunity to dictate text freely and compose short text-based messages simply by saying what they wish to write. Just a few seconds after dictation has been completed, the transcribed text appears in the display and can be read out if desired. Drivers also have a number of simple-to-use, speech-based editing tools available to them for putting the final touches to e-mails and SMS messages easily and, most importantly, safely. The multilingual system can recognize six languages including English and Spanish.

An additional speech-based option to enhance office functionality is voice memos which can be sent directly by email. The advantage to the driver is the ability to quickly store ideas or to-do items and send them to the relevant addressee(s) without being distracted. The recorded memos can be stored on a USB stick for use outside the car.

The navigation system now allows additional menu functions to be called up through simplified voice commands. The system is able to recognize contact data irrespective of the format in which it is stored, and thus independently of first name and surname order. Additional submenu functions can now be activated or actions specified by speech input from adjusting the radio and entering a destination to changing the route criteria. Voice control is becoming even easier to use.

Rounding off the new office functions is the enhanced facility for simultaneously pairing two phones to the car at the same time. The contact data of both phones are now transferred to a shared list which is then available for making phone calls and sending emails. High-performance hardware means that calendar and contact information is displayed without delay, ensuring that both telephones are quickly ready for wide-ranging use in the vehicle.
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528iX
Is there any way to upgrade my current system (2013 528ix)?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Welcome to 2001 BMW!! My 2001 Pathfinder had this. FINALLY.

My purchase of another BMW is looking up.

Wonder if the Nav actually, you know, navigates now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Press mumbo jumbo
For the navigation process itself, the familiar arrow guidance in the split screen has now been joined by a high-level guidance feature. This is automatically activated when the driver reaches a certain point ahead of the next navigation instruction. From a specified distance, which varies according to the category of road, the arrow display turns into a schematic, perspective view of the surroundings. This gives the driver even better orientation thanks to an enhanced depiction of the location and precise lane guidance. For an optimal picture, the perspective view changes in stages to a top view of the junction or intersection as the vehicle approaches it, while a dynamic vehicle indicator pinpoints the car's current position.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
The Nav's in these cars are getting like video cards in PC's once you buy the latest and greatest its already outdated. So far the f10 will have seen 2 major updates to its Nav since its conception.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
All 2013 F10s have iDrive 4.2 as well!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
The Nav's in these cars are getting like video cards in PC's once you buy the latest and greatest its already outdated. So far the f10 will have seen 2 major updates to its Nav since its conception.
2 Major Updates? There was originally CIC, and then the NBT Update. What is the other update?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Considering the nav in my E60 actually routed correctly and the nav in my Jan 2013 F10 routes like a three year old, I'm trying to figure out what "outdated" really means.

Certainly there is more lipstick on the pig, if that's what it means.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 04-23-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
So do all 2013 MY's already come with the new 4.2? Mine is a Sept build with the new "Media" button i.e new iDrive, so I'm assuming it has whatever later built date '13's have.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
NBT is the only major iDrive update that the F10 have received so far. Everything else have been either software updates and/or peripheral replacements (TCU -> Combox).
Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
2 Major Updates? There was originally CIC, and then the NBT Update. What is the other update?
2014 will introduce yet new features to the idrive system, like the touch controll.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550 xi
I hope Bimmer Tech..

or another after market supplier will be able to provide a retro-fit for those of us with MY2011/12 F10's...