Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
KMraz

Mein Auto: 335D
Smile 335d Engine Malfunction / replacement

Hi All,
My first post to the forum...and it's a doozy. I have a 2010 335d, purchased used from a dealer in 2011 with 12k miles. I drove it without issues until early 2012 when i started experiencing frequent "check engine" warnings. some were reset while others had injectors replaced. late 2012, i started experiencing "Engine Malfunction" warnings with severley reduced power. Again, some injectors were replaced. On the last engine malfunction warning, the dealer told me they found metal in the oil filter and pan. The dealer completed a replacement of both turbos (new), all injectors (new) and a remanufactured engine (i'm told it is a newly cast engine but cannot be called new since it was made with melted down old engines).
7 weeks later, I get the car back. less than 10 miles later, the engine light comes back on. Dealer tells me it's a #3 cylinder smooth running code... and is not sending the proper fuel to the car. This is odd since it all was replaced already.

Fortunately, my mileage is 43,000 and it's all under warranty or the bill would have been a staggering $23K. I'm told the warranty now extends to 2 yrs, unlimited mileage on the engine/turbos/injectors, however I've lost confidence in this beautiful car.

What are my options with BMW? Is there a regional center I can call? what leverage do i have with BMW? It doesn't sound like a competency issue with the dealer since they cannot do anything without PUMAs direction.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks for listening. -Ken
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMrazBMW View Post
Hi All,
My first post to the forum...and it's a doozy. I have a 2010 335d, purchased used from a dealer in 2011 with 12k miles. I drove it without issues until early 2012 when i started experiencing frequent "check engine" warnings. some were reset while others had injectors replaced. late 2012, i started experiencing "Engine Malfunction" warnings with severley reduced power. Again, some injectors were replaced. On the last engine malfunction warning, the dealer told me they found metal in the oil filter and pan. The dealer completed a replacement of both turbos (new), all injectors (new) and a remanufactured engine (i'm told it is a newly cast engine but cannot be called new since it was made with melted down old engines).
7 weeks later, I get the car back. less than 10 miles later, the engine light comes back on. Dealer tells me it's a #3 cylinder smooth running code... and is not sending the proper fuel to the car. This is odd since it all was replaced already.

Fortunately, my mileage is 43,000 and it's all under warranty or the bill would have been a staggering $23K. I'm told the warranty now extends to 2 yrs, unlimited mileage on the engine/turbos/injectors, however I've lost confidence in this beautiful car.

What are my options with BMW? Is there a regional center I can call? what leverage do i have with BMW? It doesn't sound like a competency issue with the dealer since they cannot do anything without PUMAs direction.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks for listening. -Ken
I'd call BMWUSA and ask that they repurchase the vehicle under your state's lemon law. The number is listed in your warranty booklet and even online at BMWUSA.com.

Last edited by surfcity335i; 04-11-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
You may get more info on E90post.com, Diesel forum. Full of similar posts, but not everyone is experiencing them. Or even in the Diesel Owners part of this bimmerfest.com forum.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Last edited by 335dFan; 04-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy335dOwner View Post
You may get more info on E90post.com, Diesel forum. Full of similar posts, but not everyone is experiencing them. Or even in the Diesel Owners part of this bimmerfest.com forum.
Here are direct links:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/for...ysprune=&f=154
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377

FYI (unscientific sampling of most 335d/x5d posts, my opinion only), by far the most problems with the M57 diesel in US/CA form has been the SCR/DEF/DPF emissions systems. Your problem is not that, obviously.

The other problems that seem to appear to be more serious (but not widespread) are:
1) Intake valve coking (requiring walnut blasting/dissasembly) caused by early EGR valve failures and poor programming.
2) Injector failure (or faults) due to DDE (ECU for you petrol-heads) problems - it appears that some DDEs have hardware and/or software failure modes in injector control (remember, there up to 5 or so injection events per combustion)

Yours seem to be in the 2nd category. Time for a PUMA case, for sure.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320i M Sport Coupe
I would persist with calling the headoffice customer care. Last September I had my car in 4 times over 2 weeks at BMW, each time they said car was road tested, fine and everything, they changed numerous coils, spark plugs etc. in the end needed a new sump, drive shaft, diff.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Mr.Singh
There are no spark plugs in 335d. I think you must be talking about gasoline engines. Good infp, though
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by singh221 View Post
I would persist with calling the headoffice customer care. Last September I had my car in 4 times over 2 weeks at BMW, each time they said car was road tested, fine and everything, they changed numerous coils, spark plugs etc. in the end needed a new sump, drive shaft, diff.
In the U.S. 4 failed repair attempts usually meets the threshold for lemon law remedy (aka repurchase).
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM

i was hoping for a new car!!! im currently on 110,000 miles just been in the dealers for a security software upgrade, and the following was mentioned

Need new brake pads
Need new brake discs
Need new windscreen wipers
Rear alloy cracked
front tyres cords showing

I said thanks for the security upgrade!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak View Post
Mr.Singh
There are no spark plugs in 335d. I think you must be talking about gasoline engines. Good infp, though
oh sorry i only know about petrol cars as mine is petrol. basically persist with any complaint. was thinking of taking a female friend with me and saying she was my partner and looking to buy a new bmw, (even though she hates them) in the end i didnt have to use that one
Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
I'd call BMWUSA and ask that they repurchase the vehicle under your state's lemon law. The number is listed in your warranty booklet and even online at BMWUSA.com.

Good advice....lemon's a clicker....

Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
i was hoping for a new car!!! im currently on 110,000 miles just been in the dealers for a security software upgrade, and the following was mentioned

Need new brake pads
Need new brake discs
Rear alloy cracked

these are all normal wear and tear items

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:

Need new brake pads
Need new brake discs
Rear alloy cracked

Wow, you let your car get to the point where cords/belting is showing?? Get your head out of the sand...
Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I bought my 2011 335d in mid July of 2013. It's CPO with 23k miles at the time of purchase. I took the car in for a flat tire, picked it up and the service engine light came on 2 blocks later. It has been a headache ever since. The car was in service for over a month for carbon build up issues. Initially they went the route of taking apart the engine and cleaning the heads. 3 weeks into this repair they finally received the bolts from Germany, put the engine back together just to run into more issues. They found metal shavings in the oil and failure of one of the rod bearings. They decided to do a complete engine replacement. 12k in servic labor and parts later(of course fully covered under CPO) I picked the car up. 3 days after picking it up the light reappeared, took it in they said it was the fuel injector, the part was replaced. Once again I picked up the car and again like exactly 3 days later the light is back on again. Ugh....this is my first BMW, love the car, but I am very annoyed with the headache of it all. I also am concerned about the reporting of engine replacement on car facts and what that means for future resale value. The car has been in service more days then I have owned it . The dealership is willing to take it back. I'm torn on if I should keep it or let it go and go to a gas engine with less torque and mpg. I'm considering changing it for the x5 35d.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335D
I had a urea issue that caused a ses light and a MAF filter problem that caused reduced power. The dealer took good care of it though. I have not had anything since but like anything else, no 2 cars are the same i guess. Can't live without massive torque, so I'm wanna keep it.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Wow, I have a 2009 335d and over the years, my mpg has dropped. Had few problems with tail lights going out twice, belt tensioner,
I love the car, but am scared with all these problems, so I bought extended warranty thru BMW.
I would try to see if they would give you a different 335d.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
my 335d going in for a SES light again in the morning...second time in two weeks. Hope it is nothing major this car is so much fun to drive. But I am about to the point that it may be time for it to depart and get something that is more trouble free.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 AM

Same here with my 2009 335d.
My mpg had dropped by almost 6 miles per gallon more on the hwy as I do hwy driving
once a month on the same road.
Added BG244 (for diesels) and then put in sport mode and ran a bit hard
and it seemed to improve by 3 mpg.
No engine lights have come up since dealer fixed it few months back.
Good Luck
Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
sorry to hear
Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
335d in shop

Just got off the phone with SA. They put a new updated EGR valve on my car...I had the recall done prior had no idea there was an updated EGR valve. Found a broken o-ring which would throw the same fault code....said they are tracing down some other sensors one I believe a temp sensor and something else. Said there is no Carbon Buildup. I asked the mechanic why some of these cars get carbon buildup and some don't.....they think it is fuel related.....asked then why don't you recommend an additive....BMW just doesn't...