Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Just happened to me this afternoon, I had the green light, some lady on the cell phone took a right on red without stopping or looking. I honk her and she gave me the finger
Old 04-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
To OP: IMO you deserved the finger for trying to make a point by sitting behind him when the whole freeway was open. Yes, BMWs have a higher than normal population of a**holes driving them so other drivers are predisposed to a finger flip at the slightest provocation. I'm trying my best to avoid fitting the stereotype - so far, no fingers have been waved in my direction
Old 04-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 m sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
To OP: IMO you deserved the finger for trying to make a point by sitting behind him when the whole freeway was open. Yes, BMWs have a higher than normal population of a**holes driving them so other drivers are predisposed to a finger flip at the slightest provocation. I'm trying my best to avoid fitting the stereotype - so far, no fingers have been waved in my direction
If you were correct I would agree. The whole freeway was open in FRONT of him. The other lanes were blocked.

Otherwise I would have just simply gone around. Duh.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Silverstone F80 M3

Mein Auto: '15 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardman View Post
So im driving on the freeway today...and there is a guy going barely the speed limit in the far left lane. Very slow. wide open freeway in front of him.

So I hang out a few car lengths behind him..not too close...hoping he will eventually get the hint. I didnt flash my brights or anything..just waiting patiently.

After a few miles the guy finally pulls into the next lane. As im going ahead the dude flips me the bird!

Haha.. I learned long ago to just laugh it off..never worth engaging....but it got me thinking..man I get the bird alot with my BMW! This is my first BMW...and after only 3 months of ownership ive been flipped off 3-4 times.

I dont drive very aggressive..so I can only conclude there isnt much love for BMW on the roads!

Anyone else notice the same?
They are just Jelly.....
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Even if the other lanes were empty, the left lane is a passing lane. If you are not passing someone, get on the travel lane. You are suppose to avoid passing on the right whenever possible.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Even if the other lanes were empty, the left lane is a passing lane. If you are not passing someone, get on the travel lane. You are suppose to avoid passing on the right whenever possible.
State of Georgia has recently allow LEOs to ticket left lane sitters. I have not heard of anyone getting tagged but hope it will happen a lot. Not sure that passing on the right is strictly legal here but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Have you ever noticed that especially on an interstate with 3 lanes each direction there is often a long empty stretch on the rightmost lane that you can really make time in while the 'fast' lane is gunked up with a line of drivers who think they are in a hurry?

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 04-13-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I get the finger all the time, but I can't say that its the BMW since I have had it flipped to me in a Corvette, in an Infiniti, a minivan I rented once on vacation... well you get the picture

You were polite, I hang back and give them a chance to change lanes if they don't move then I tailgate, and as last resort go around them. I just hate passing on the right, it dangerous. I also want to train them so the next time somebody comes up they think of me and move over...

I miss driving in Germany
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Here in Maryland there is no concept of keep right or no passing on the right. It is perfectly legal to drive up to 10mph below the speed limit in the left lane without being considered as impeding traffic. Passing on the right is very common here. It is a frustrating place to drive for a properly trained driver.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
As tempting as my anger makes it to want to tailgate certain moronic drivers (although it's a regressive move as it puts you and/or your car in danger), I don't think it's worth it, as you bring up a much better change to get rock chips on the front of your car. This is why driving a beater can be so liberating.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I've never been one to flash my brights at someone hanging slow in the left lane but I'm starting to be tempted to try it for awhile. Problem is I feel like a jerk when really I don't know how else to ask someone politely to move aside for a moment.

I'm certain the person being flashed will think I'm a jerk or will do their best to block me off or whatever.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan
I don't get the finger or tailgaters, but sometimes I get some creepy guy yelling at me to take off my shirt while driving (truck drivers at their finest LOL). Besides, everyone is too busy eating my dust
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtogo View Post
I don't get the finger or tailgaters, but sometimes I get some creepy guy yelling at me to take off my shirt while driving (truck drivers at their finest LOL). Besides, everyone is too busy eating my dust
Considering the scenario explained, I'm assuming you're either a female or well built male.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtogo View Post
Wait - that was you? LOL Just kidding.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
State of Georgia has recently allow LEOs to ticket left lane sitters. I have not heard of anyone getting tagged but hope it will happen a lot. Not sure that passing on the right is strictly legal here but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Have you ever noticed that especially on an interstate with 3 lanes each direction there is often a long empty stretch on the rightmost lane that you can really make time in while the 'fast' lane is gunked up with a line of drivers who think they are in a hurry?
Yes. I have found myself driving quite often in the rightmost lane for a few years already.

The whole concept of the passing left lane has been deeply corrupted by those that either do not accept the idea of a passing lane, or those that, because it is a passing/temporary lane, use the left lane because is the least congested/faster. So the whole purpose is defeated. Thus the right lane becomes the new passing lane.

Absurd, right?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

By the way, I do not know who is giving a finger or not while I drive just because I do not look at any other driver, much less while I'm passing. I look at what the car is doing and try to foresee what messed up move is next.

I have noticed that looking at other drivers -regardless of the motive- irritates other drivers just by itself, causing all kind of irrational responses. That's the reason that I strongly believe that most people drive the exact same way that they walk in a mall. Not looking at anybody, not accepting the personal space of others, just bumping into others without even thinking.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
By the way, I do not know who is giving a finger or not while I drive just because I do not look at any other driver, much less while I'm passing. I look at what the car is doing and try to foresee what messed up move is next.

I have noticed that looking at other drivers -regardless of the motive- irritates other drivers just by itself, causing all kind of irrational responses. That's the reason that I strongly believe that most people drive the exact same way that they walk in a mall. Not looking at anybody, not accepting the personal space of others, just bumping into others without even thinking.

I hear ya. Don't try to look mostly either....but sometimes you just see it.

Come to think of it, my bird count is likely higher considering the ones I didn't see!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:22 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
The whole concept of the passing left lane has been deeply corrupted by those that either do not accept the idea of a passing lane
People are self absorbed, ignorant sh*theads that couldn't possibly be inconvenienced by basic traffic etiquette because "F*CK YOU I'M MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU AND NEED TO GET TO THE MALL"

:suicide:
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 04-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Here in Maryland there is no concept of keep right or no passing on the right. It is perfectly legal to drive up to 10mph below the speed limit in the left lane without being considered as impeding traffic. Passing on the right is very common here. It is a frustrating place to drive for a properly trained driver.
Sounds like jersey haha
Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
People are self absorbed, ignorant sh*theads that couldn't possibly be inconvenienced by basic traffic etiquette because "F*CK YOU I'M MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU AND NEED TO GET TO THE MALL"

:suicide:
I blame it on the lack of driver education in the US. Half of these drivers giving people fingers really don't know right from wrong. How can they obey the traffic law if they don't know it.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I blame it on the lack of driver education in the US. Half of these drivers giving people fingers really don't know right from wrong. How can they obey the traffic law if they don't know it.
Fully agree. I always thought there should be a drivers etiquette part of having a license. Continued education at some point after the oh so young age of 16. That wouldn't solve all of it, but...

For instance, with my original post, if I've ever been that slow guy in the left lane, if I was keeping a line of traffic backed up behind me then suddenly realized it, I would get over immediately and likely feel foolish.

I certainly wouldn't flip someone the bird who was patiently waiting behind me! Call that lack of education, etiquette or just being an ass.

And I don't disagree with keyser either ...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
+1

I was in the car with someone not long ago who complained because someone was tailgating them in the left lane. I told them, then move over. The uneducated response... "Why? ... I am doing the speedlimit. " No matter how I tried to explain that they were wrong they just wouldn't get it.

It would if getting a ticket for this behavior was little more common. Driving in the left lane for no reason, or blocking the left lane should get you a ticket the same way doing 80 in a 60 should.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
+1

I was in the car with someone not long ago who complained because someone was tailgating them in the left lane. I told them, then move over. The uneducated response... "Why? ... I am doing the speedlimit. " No matter how I tried to explain that they were wrong they just wouldn't get it.
It would if getting a ticket for this behavior was little more common. Driving in the left lane for no reason, or blocking the left lane should get you a ticket the same way doing 80 in a 60 should.
My impression of this kind of drivers is that they really do not like anybody passing them. At all. Regardless of speed or lane.

So maybe this is not an issue with the physical left lane but just a knucklehead issue.

The one that really makes me mad is the driver that is supposed to be minding their own business at the "speed limit" in the left lane but then becomes Norman Bates when somebody dares to even try to pass them on the right. So they not only are blocking the left lane but accelerate to not let you pass even on the right. Sometimes they try to "pinch" you against cars in front in the right lane so you have to slow down and be forced to be behind them.

You can find all of these drivers when driving from South Florida to Orlando using the Turnpike.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:

You can find all of these drivers when driving from South Florida to Orlando using the Turnpike.

Been there, done that. In my youth I remember this exact scenario in a multi-car caravan on the way to Disney. One of my more "unstable" friends passed them using the shoulder. Pretty stupid, but in my experience people that do this type of driving can provoke others to do crazy things.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I would like to see more of this:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23923913

Utah Highway Patrol troopers are now keeping an eye out for slowpokes in the fast lane...If you like the fast lane but don't keep moving, a state trooper may pull you over and tell you why impeding traffic in the left lane is dangerous....Troopers say drivers should check the rear-view mirror from time to time so they can see when another car is coming up on them quickly, or one that's riding their tail. Above all, remember it's not your job to slow that motorist down even if you think he or she is speeding (Underline added by me)

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Go Utah !