Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I think I am moving... !
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Got the finger today.

Was a college-age girl in a small SUV. I was heading back to the office with a few co-workers, following behind her at a reasonable distance in the middle lane, going about 35 (in a 40). Because we had just eaten Smashburger and the co-workers were falling asleep, I decided to change into the left lane and drop the hammer for some serious acceleration. So I signaled, changed lanes, and put my foot down.

It was at this moment she decided to use her blinker to signal she wanted to move into the left lane too. Being courteous, and because I had not yet passed her, I hit the breaks to let her in (and honestly, this was a safety precaution; I did not want her changing lanes into me because of her failing to see a blur in her blind spot).

She then changed into the left lane in front of me. My desire for speed was still there, so I changed back into the middle lane, dropped it again, and blew by her. As we're passing by, my co-worker in the back seat, driver's side, says, "Yup, looks like you just got fingered."

Since I never look at someone while I'm passing them, makes me wonder how many times this has happened and I not known it.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
I have toyed with the idea of installing a wig-wag headlight modulator system like the Leos have. I have the single light modulators on my bikes and it will open up a left lane as you approach.

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 m sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Got the finger today.

Was a college-age girl in a small SUV. I was heading back to the office with a few co-workers, following behind her at a reasonable distance in the middle lane, going about 35 (in a 40). Because we had just eaten Smashburger and the co-workers were falling asleep, I decided to change into the left lane and drop the hammer for some serious acceleration. So I signaled, changed lanes, and put my foot down.

It was at this moment she decided to use her blinker to signal she wanted to move into the left lane too. Being courteous, and because I had not yet passed her, I hit the breaks to let her in (and honestly, this was a safety precaution; I did not want her changing lanes into me because of her failing to see a blur in her blind spot).

She then changed into the left lane in front of me. My desire for speed was still there, so I changed back into the middle lane, dropped it again, and blew by her. As we're passing by, my co-worker in the back seat, driver's side, says, "Yup, looks like you just got fingered."

Since I never look at someone while I'm passing them, makes me wonder how many times this has happened and I not known it.
Ha! Glad it's finally just not me.

Like my original story... and your story, the rub of the whole thing is we were actually being polite and still got the bird.

I still chalk it up to idiotic drivers and the stigma of bmw
Old 04-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Around here seems thats the only thing people know how to do, Sometimes they shake their hand so fast is almost as if they were trying to say hi or bye haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366349248.652159.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	372087  
Old 04-19-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i xDrive M
Literally since the day I bought my car i have been getting the *bird. I have to almost laugh because it happens so frequently. I do live in NYC which is a factor but people never let me in, out, over and I have actually had a guy throw his 32oz. fountain drink at me.

The BMW effect does seem to have a side effect of feeling a strong sense of entitlement on the road, perhaps being picked up on my my fellow road patrons.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
We have ass!oles and potholes here in the sunny south. Not so many of each as you, though!

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007mead View Post
The BMW effect does seem to have a side effect of feeling a strong sense of entitlement on the road, perhaps being picked up on my my fellow road patrons.
Soooo true. What the hell is that? I think it's the combination of great performance roots mixed with ultra cushy luxury. I feel like the F10 does so many things remarkably, it gives you a sense of "I can do anything while being coddled by this ultra solid car". I feel I've gotta keep myself in check in this car. Or else I quickly turn into that BMW-driving-d'bag I always loathed.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1naztyx5 View Post
Around here seems thats the only thing people know how to do, Sometimes they shake their hand so fast is almost as if they were trying to say hi or bye haha
lol, what would happen if that were the new form of saying Hi lol.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
Tailgaters are the biggest problem. I was going through a bird sanctuary tonight with a speed limit of 25 mph. some guy was rediuclously tailgaiting. Since my dad was driving my 550, I took my nikon with a 300mm +1.4x teleconverter to take pics of the driver and passenger and their plate.

420mm really reaches out and touches someone. My goal was to take pictures of birds--of course to pull over and take pics--however my FFL lense comes in handy picking up the passengers and drivers and their plates.

With BMW's rear-view mirrors, these people that tailgate are very, very close. If they don't like it, too bad. We pull over and let people pass. If they don't like it, my state has license to carry firearms which I exercise strongly.

You shouldn't be speeding through a bird sancutary to begin with w/ a limit at 25 mph. We pull-over whenever possible. with 19 sport wheels, you try and be as careful as possible.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
Tailgaters are the biggest problem. I took my nikon with a 300mm +1.4x teleconverter to take pics of the driver and passenger and their plate.

OK, this made me chuckle. You are that guy? I had someone follow me once because I merged in front of them. The on ramp was going from two lanes to one, and she didnt want to let me in. So I "WENT" in wether she wanted me too or not. She followed me for the better part of a mile and every time we would get to a light she would pull out her iPhone and take a picture of my tag. This made me laugh even harder which ofcourse made her even angrier. What are you going to do with that picture?

I do agree about tail gaters
Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Considering the scenario explained, I'm assuming you're either a female or well built male.
I am definately a female
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Wait - that was you? LOL Just kidding.
Oh yes and proud of it, one woman just having some fun and I miss driving in Germany too
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I blame it on the lack of driver education in the US. Half of these drivers giving people fingers really don't know right from wrong. How can they obey the traffic law if they don't know it.
+1. And would someone care to explain that the whole passing lane concept is not necessarily true for congested city roads?

I learn to drive in Sweden, man did they have a different set of rules! I was always told to give a 3 sec gap between myself and the car in front. Has stood me well quite a few times.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Dark Knight

A video surfaced of an irate BMW river ramming a bicyclist who apparently punched him in the face (they're searching for the BMW driver now and the biker ended up okay): http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...icycle_bmw.php

Comments regarding the matter range from: "Typical BMW driving asshole." / "Porcupines have the pricks on the outside." / "From my experiences, BMW drivers are the most ruthless drivers in LA".... You get the picture.

Not good for our image, guys.

If we're stereotyping, I think bike riders are the worst.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 PM
cor door sedan

Am I missing something or did the story have what happened wrong? Based on that video, the cyclist followed the driver into the alley, the driver quickly turned around, then tried to put an end to the whole thing.

Not saying what the driver did was good. Just saying that it appeared to me the cyclist was continuing to be a D bag by following the driver into the alley.

Still, to try and nail the guy like that? And ruin what was probably a perfectly good bimmer bumper? Not good.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Am I missing something or did the story have what happened wrong? Based on that video, the cyclist followed the driver into the alley, the driver quickly turned around, then tried to put an end to the whole thing.

Not saying what the driver did was good. Just saying that it appeared to me the cyclist was continuing to be a D bag by following the driver into the alley.

Still, to try and nail the guy like that? And ruin what was probably a perfectly good bimmer bumper? Not good.
Lol. Agreed on all points. Cyclists to be honest tend to be THE WORST. I would NEVER side with someone who would try and ram another human who isn't threatening their life or immediate well being, but I see the cyclist following him into an alley as well, after apparently punching him in the face. Who knows what led to all of this or who's fault it all truly is, more-so than the others. Also, I couldn't help but think "why destroy your car like that?".

Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
In the article, it said the driver follow the cyclist into the alley, not the other way around.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
In the article, it said the driver follow the cyclist into the alley, not the other way around.
Yes, and the video showed quite the opposite, which is why I posted in the first place.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
That Guy w/ the Modded GT

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT DINAN Stg 3
I haven't seen the finger, but I have seen quite a bit of the thumb! LOL, seriously though I do get quite a few thumbs up from traffic when in my 550 GT. Guess' its so rare and unique (all blacked-out) that people are like "woah..." :P

BMW 550i GT DINAN Stage 2 w/ Many Mods... Faster than you think.
Hear it here...
And see more photos of it here...

Like my GT? I'm selling it... Click here

CCA Member: 477510
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
I have this second thought, if the guy likes to flip at you on the Road, i take that he wants to phuck my car literally :x
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 2014 X3 28i
I've seen the finger a few times (some have been a preemptive strike by me ) but mainly just a lot of looks. I do have my euro plate on the front so that probably attracts some attention.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Yes, and the video showed quite the opposite, which is why I posted in the first place.
Actually I think I "cracked it". Seems like the cyclist was going through the alley, then the BMW driver raced after him and did that sudden u turn to hit him from the front. I think once the driver gets charged for attempted murder or whatever it is then both idiots will have gotten what they deserved. That cyclist probably won't be decking any other drivers.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
(...)What are you going to do with that picture? (...)
+1

It happened to me too. Was thinking exactly the same thing. Was this supposed to be their "gotcha" moment? What's next? Youtube? Be my guest !
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Actually I think I "cracked it". Seems like the cyclist was going through the alley, then the BMW driver raced after him and did that sudden u turn to hit him from the front. I think once the driver gets charged for attempted murder or whatever it is then both idiots will have gotten what they deserved. That cyclist probably won't be decking any other drivers.
Then why not just nail him from behind? Why bother passing him, turning around (3 point turn), then wrecking your car jamming it into a dumpster?

Maybe he thought he would really hurt the guy running him over from behind but thought he would not hurt him head on?

Either way, putting your bimmer in jeopardy like that is not smart. Hehe.