Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
LM2 Module upgrade - Get Welcome lights

So I set about upgrading the light control module in my e63 this evening. Sometime in late 2007 BMW used a more comprehensive light control module that allows more features such as:
- Welcome Lights
- Cornering fogs
- Angel eyes as DRLs

I have put together a detailed how to (attached). You need to use the following tools:

- NCS Expert
- Tool 32

and possibly WinKFP if the software version of the module is not up to scratch.

Happy reading!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW e63 - LM1 to LM2.pdf (1.37 MB, 2091 views)

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 04-13-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Include updated version of DIY
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Very Nice DIY! That does not look terribly difficult. Curious, how much does the upgrade cost?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM

I paid 70 for the module & I did the fitting & coding myself. It is easy to do. I'll do another update to include the specific parameters that need to be set to active. If your car has a build date after 09/2007 your car already has an LM2 module. Here's some quick videos of it in action:

(The car is filthy dirty in the video, the weather is terrible at the minute & I drove 300 miles today)

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 04-12-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 AM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Awsome...

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM

I just updated the DIY document to include the specific parameters I changed on the module for Welcome Lights, Follow Me Home remote lights & BFD. See original post. If you already have an e63 with an LM2 fitted you just need to change these parameters. You'll have an LM2 for sure if your car has a build date after 09/2007.

Note: I have marked the setting I used with a star =*.

Welcome Lights

Quote:
WELCOME_LIGHT_ACTIVE WELCOME LIGHTS IN LIGHTS MENU (LINKED TO [VA_WELCOMELIGHT] IN CAPPL)
aktiv enabled *
nicht_aktiv not enabled

WL_SL_1 WELCOME LIGHTS WITH STANDING LIGHTS 1
nicht_aktiv not enabled
soft_einschalten soft-on *

hart_einschalten direct switch-on
WL_KZL WELCOME LIGHTS WITH LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
soft_einschalten soft-on *
hart_einschalten direct switch-on

DEF_WELCOMELIGHT_CKM DEFAULT CAR/KEY MEMORY FOR WELCOME LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

WELCOMELIGHT_CKM_0 CAR/KEY MEMORY 1 FOR WELCOME LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

WELCOMELIGHT_CKM_1 CAR/KEY MEMORY 2 FOR WELCOME LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

WELCOMELIGHT_CKM_2 CAR/KEY MEMORY 3 FOR WELCOME LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

WELCOMELIGHT_CKM_3 CAR/KEY MEMORY 4 FOR WELCOME LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

WELCOME_LIGHT_ACTIVE WELCOME LIGHTS IN LIGHTS MENU (LINKED TO [VA_WELCOMELIGHT] IN CAPPL)
aktiv enabled *
nicht_aktiv not enabled (Requires newer SW version in CAPPL/MASK than I had)

Remote Home Lights

Quote:
HEIMLEUCHTEN_FUNKSCHL FOLLOW-ME-HOME LIGHTS ACTIVATED BY LOCKING WITH REMOTE CONTROL
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

Also change this parameter on CAS Module:

Module: CAS:
Parameter: SONDERTASTE_PANIKALARM
New Value: panikalarm * (will be nicht_aktiv by default)

Brake Force Distribution

Quote:
BFD_2_ALGORITHMUS BRAKE FORCE DISPLAY STAGE 2 ALGORITHM
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

BFD_2_BL_M_ERSCH_BILD BRAKE FORCE DISPLAY STAGE 1 THIRD BRAKE LIGHT APPEARANCE [NICHT_AKTIV: OFF, WERT_01: ON, WERT_03: FLASHING]
nicht_aktiv not enabled
wert_01 value 01
wert_02 value 01
wert_03 value 03 * (flashing)

Cornering Lights

Quote:
KLS_BEI_AL_AKTIV CORNERING LIGHTS ENABLED WHEN LIGHT SWITCH SET TO LOW BEAMS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

ABSTELLPOS_SMC SWITCH-OFF CORNERING LIGHTS WHEN STEERING WHEEL RETURNS (LIKE TURN SIGNALS)
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

DEF_ABBIEGELICHT_CKM DEFAULT CAR/KEY MEMORY FOR CORNERING LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

Angel Eyes as DRLs

Quote:
VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_33 DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
drl_tfl_off daytime running lights disabled
drl_s usa daytime running lights with dedicated lights
drl_h usa daytime running lights with high beams
drl_l usa daytime running lights with low beams
tfl_s * european daytime running lights with dedicated lights

DRL_TFL_SML_33 DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS WITH SIDE MARKER LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *
I have not seen what the difference in settingVERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_33 to drl_s or tfl_s, that's another day's investigation! Either works, maybe one is brighter than the other? Either way tfl_s works.

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 04-13-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Add Angel Eyes as DRLs info
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Thanks for sharing. I will try all coding fun next week. Can't wait.

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 PM

Just remember that these were the settings that I chose, there's lots of subtle variations for each item, you could have front turn signals and/or fogs as DRLs or the Rear Fogs as Welcome lights. It's up to you.
If anyone makes different changes post back here with your changes. Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 630i
Hi, where did you source your Light Module from?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceyB View Post
Hi, where did you source your Light Module from?
Good old EBay! Actually the strange thing I never mentioned was that the module,I removed from,my car (the one that has been in there since new) was a different part number to those listed in ETK, Realoem.com & BMWfans.info. There are obviously part numbers not listed for every module, especially where there were frequent revisions.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
If your car has a build date after 09/2007 your car already has an LM2 module.
A while ago I got the BM Technic cable and software but so far I only ran DIS Diagnostics. My car is a 04 645ci but it shows that I have the LM2. After installing 10W LED Angel eyes I asked my Indy last winter to activate them as DRLs but he told me he couldn't do it, he wasn't quite sure why but probably because my car is a 2004. Has the previous owner upgraded? was the module defect and was replaced? I don't know but could it be that I really have the LM2 and because the built date is 2004 there has to be some additional coding done in regards to the built date to be able to have the angel eyes as DRLs.

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights, CSR front lip with carbon accents, carbon side skirts
Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Hi Matty, the LCM could very well have failed & have been replaced at the dealers at some point in its life after 2007. If it did it would have gotten a LM2 by default.

However, you may not have an LM2, what makes you think you do? Did you read the module with NCS Expert to see for certain what light control module you have.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
Hi Matty, the LCM could very well have failed & have been replaced at the dealers at some point in its life after 2007. If it did it would have gotten a LM2 by default.

However, you may not have an LM2, what makes you think you do? Did you read the module with NCS Expert to see for certain what light control module you have.
so far I only used DIS. When I looked at the list of modules that are present in my car I noticed LM2.
Haven't had the courage to try NCS Expert yet, maybe should give it a try tonight after my wife gets home with the car.

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights, CSR front lip with carbon accents, carbon side skirts
Old 08-12-2013, 02:26 PM

I believe when I ran DIS that it also showed the LM2 as active even though I have the original LM module.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymetzger View Post
so far I only used DIS. When I looked at the list of modules that are present in my car I noticed LM2.
Haven't had the courage to try NCS Expert yet, maybe should give it a try tonight after my wife gets home with the car.
No fear. Start with something simple like the fan speed indicator. Do several reads before you do a write and till you get familiar with it. Once you do it you'll see how easy it is.

Good luck

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I noticed that too in an e60 I was plugged in to about 2 weeks ago, in DIS the LCM showed up as an LM2. I was able to confirm later that this was not the case using NCS Expert. Probably the same for you guys.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 PM

no luck can't connect NCS Expert. Just sent a mail to BM Technic support, always get stuck between step 6 and 7 outlined in their tutorial. I posted about this problem a while back and haven't tried connecting since. Back then I thought it may work next time, well, next time was tonight and it didn't.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Re: LM2 Module upgrade - Get Welcome lights

Quote:
no luck can't connect NCS Expert. Just sent a mail to BM Technic support, always get stuck between step 6 and 7 outlined in their tutorial. I posted about this problem a while back and haven't tried connecting since. Back then I thought it may work next time, well, next time was tonight and it didn't.
The online tutorial isnt e60 series specific. Go to the pdf i created and posted in the thread below...maybe this will help.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7714481

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
The online tutorial isnt e60 series specific. Go to the pdf i created and posted in the thread below...maybe this will help.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7714481

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
now that I had a look at your pdf, that's actually the one I'm using and I don' get past step 6.
You sent me that one a few weeks ago, Thanks Mark

Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 PM

That sucks! Hopefully Chris gets you up and running pretty quickly.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM

Did you start by opening INPA first? Did you get both black indicators on in INPA?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM

did my first coding today disabled the legal disclaimer and since the weather band was right there near the disclaimer I changed that also to nicht_activ.
Chris from BM Technic was very helpful, he sent me a file to scan my Laptop and then a file to "fix it". Not sure what was wrong but he said he is seeing this issue more often lately, something about Windows Driver Updates.
to Chris
to anyone who posted a reply

TO EVERYONE!

since I was sooo excited to get this done, I completely forgot to check if I have the LM2. Well, i guess after reading some of the latest posts, I probably don't but that's all right.

the digital speed would be nice, have seen some posts about that mod here on the forum, must find them again.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
did my first coding today disabled the legal disclaimer and since the weather band was right there near the disclaimer I changed that also to nicht_activ.
Chris from BM Technic was very helpful, he sent me a file to scan my Laptop and then a file to "fix it". Not sure what was wrong but he said he is seeing this issue more often lately, something about Windows Driver Updates.
to Chris
to anyone who posted a reply

TO EVERYONE!

since I was sooo excited to get this done, I completely forgot to check if I have the LM2. Well, i guess after reading some of the latest posts, I probably don't but that's all right.

the digital speed would be nice, have seen some posts about that mod here on the forum, must find them again.
Congrats and welcome to the "what else can I do now" club!

Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM

I don't have LM2
just changed the fog lamps to be on with high beams, deactivated the gong when the keys are in the ignition, and aktivated the digital speed in the instrument cluster.
also changed CC_TEMPERATURWARNUNG to activ, I will get a warning now when the temperature get near the freezing point (hope that doesn't happen for a few more months)

Last edited by mattymetzger; 08-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I don't have LM2
just changed the fog lamps to be on with high beams, deactivated the gong when the keys are in the ignition, and aktivated the digital speed in the instrument cluster.
also changed CC_TEMPERATURWARNUNG to activ, I will get a warning now when the temperature get near the freezing point (hope that doesn't happen for a few more months)
Awesome job, once you get cranking you just don't want to stop!

Now that you have disabled the disclaimer you should change the timeout. I noticed an improvement in boot time:

MODULE: Cappl

LEGAL_DISCL_TIMOUT
Standard CHANGE TO wert_00

You can thank Mulchman for this contribution http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...l_discl_timout
Old 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Awesome job, once you get cranking you just don't want to stop!

Now that you have disabled the disclaimer you should change the timeout. I noticed an improvement in boot time:

MODULE: Cappl

LEGAL_DISCL_TIMOUT
Standard CHANGE TO wert_00

You can thank Mulchman for this contribution http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...l_discl_timout
changed the value yesterday, don't see any faster boot time. My original setting was "standard" is that the default setting that you changed to wert_00 or was your setting wert_01

I also noticed that the setting for VA_ADAPTIVEHEADLIGHT is set to nicht_activ I do have the adaptive headlights and they do work, why would that setting be nicht_activ?

what does "par" and "fkt" stand for? both are followed by either frei (which means open) or gesperrt (which means locked)