Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Help need on my audio "cut out"

So with now 3 days on my new 535i with 'standard' professional hi-fi, this is my audio cut-out (stutter, skip, whatever term) issue which is driving me nuts.
1. First noticed on drive home from dealer. XM cut out (almost stuttered) playing with slight time shift.

2. Then I noticed while playing iPod (USB connection).

3. Also has done it with Pandora.

4. Not certain about over-the-air FM radio / HD radio, but it could have also skipped.
I find that it is MOST "repeatable" or "replicatable" when I'm completely stopped at a light and the car shuts off (auto stop/start). It's not immediate, but delayed by a second or two.

But it's not just then. It also happens while driving on the highway and on local roads.

I don't want the dealer to gut a new car. I'd love some direction - do folks think it could be a loose wire? Or battery/voltage issue?
__________________
2013 F10 535i Carbon Black M-Sport
2011 F10 535i Dark Graphite (Sophisto) Metallic (traded)
2009 Nissan GT-R (sold)


BMW CCA # 493835
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Axxlrod Axxlrod is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
I'm not sure if its teh same thing, but my car's audio cuts out also. Doesn't matter the source... sat radio, FM or ipod.

The sound cuts out for about a second (maybe less) then comes back again.

My 535 is only a month old and has standard stereo also.

Anybody else?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Boardman Boardman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 216
Mein Auto: 2013 550 m sport
I have this too.

Anybody had the dealer address or fix yet?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Axxlrod Axxlrod is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
Hmm. If this is a widespread problem, I'm surprised more owners aren't making threads about this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2013, 03:23 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Could be a battery or voltage thing - my first 535i had its battery replaced 4 days in.

If someone opens a PUMA case, please post.
__________________
2013 F10 535i Carbon Black M-Sport
2011 F10 535i Dark Graphite (Sophisto) Metallic (traded)
2009 Nissan GT-R (sold)


BMW CCA # 493835
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I have this issue as well with Sirius. I have a 2013 and standard audio.

I always assumed it had to do with an interruption in service. I go under that underpass or something similar. See if it happens in FM, that would signal a problem and can maybe be diagnosed. Unfortunately Pandora and Sirius are susceptible to flutter and breaks because they get there signal from an outside source that is affected much easier by buildings, materials, etc.

I can't speak to the iPod.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:42 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Sirius was where I noticed it. It happens across all sources.

On the 5-series, you will not have a service 'blip' under bridges since the car buffers incoming satellite audio. Further, Sirius now uses a similar terrestrial receiver model to XM (Sirius was 100% satellite transmission IIRC prior to the merger).

So... basically something is wrong.

I hope it's a software thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I have this issue as well with Sirius. I have a 2013 and standard audio.

I always assumed it had to do with an interruption in service. I go under that underpass or something similar. See if it happens in FM, that would signal a problem and can maybe be diagnosed. Unfortunately Pandora and Sirius are susceptible to flutter and breaks because they get there signal from an outside source that is affected much easier by buildings, materials, etc.

I can't speak to the iPod.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
SECOND ISSUE - if you time-shift satellite, it does not "count down" (or up, depending on your perspective) as it's playing.

This could be related...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Interesting... so let me ask you gents - when I get in the car in the morning their is no sound. Most times, turning it up does nothing. I have to mute and unmute (pushing in the volume button twice) in order for their to be sound. This is on satellite radio, which is what I listen to most often. You guys?
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Interesting... so let me ask you gents - when I get in the car in the morning their is no sound. Most times, turning it up does nothing. I have to mute and unmute (pushing in the volume button twice) in order for their to be sound. This is on satellite radio, which is what I listen to most often. You guys?
I had this on my 2005 Acura RL and 2010 Nissan GT-R - often when I went into a store and the car was only off for a couple minutes.

I would have Sirius delete and re-create your account.

The satellite tuner was not the problem in either case.
__________________
2013 F10 535i Carbon Black M-Sport
2011 F10 535i Dark Graphite (Sophisto) Metallic (traded)
2009 Nissan GT-R (sold)


BMW CCA # 493835
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Bump - anyone else? This is driving me nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I confirmed today - pulled under the canopy at a gas station and lost my Sirius signal. I don't believe terrestrial repeaters are in use, at lease not in my area.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,699
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Prabably the amp or loose connection, but it really can a million things causing the audio to cut out, have the dealer take a look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I confirmed today - pulled under the canopy at a gas station and lost my Sirius signal. I don't believe terrestrial repeaters are in use, at lease not in my area.
1. Sirius uses terrestrial repeaters nearly everywhere. Not saying 'every everywhere', but...
2. The car queues up satellite (like a DVR). On my 2011, I *rarely* had cut-outs - even under canopies, in parking garages, etc. This car is more like XM than it is like Sirius (pre-terrestrial).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Prabably the amp or loose connection, but it really can a million things causing the audio to cut out, have the dealer take a look at it.
I thought this too. But it happens at a complete dead stop, too. I would have thought "loose connection" would be impacted by, well, road impacts.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
1. Sirius uses terrestrial repeaters nearly everywhere. Not saying 'every everywhere', but...
2. The car queues up satellite (like a DVR). On my 2011, I *rarely* had cut-outs - even under canopies, in parking garages, etc. This car is more like XM than it is like Sirius (pre-terrestrial).
Your 2011 car has a completely different system than the current 2013.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12

Last edited by miamiboyca; 04-22-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Your 2011 car has a completely different system than the current 2013.
Understand. But the newer one shouldn't suck.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Something I noticed, at least on satellite radio. The tower on the screen actually shows signal strength (kind of like a cell phone). Definitely no terrestrial signal in my area. You can also see if anything is actually buffered by going into timesync. I do notice that it does not always buffer right away. Sometimes it takes 20-30 seconds to get just a few seconds buffered. Which makes sense with varying signal levels. Can't speak to Pandora, but signal level an amount buffered would also seem to fit.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM
armando95 armando95 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Had this issue as well when I first got the car, figured it was XM signal fade as that's what I listen to most of the time and I don't think I've had it when I have listened to FM. It seemed to happen on cloudy days so I figured it was a weak XM antenna. Hasn't done it in a while but I think that's because we've had clear weather.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Something I noticed, at least on satellite radio. The tower on the screen actually shows signal strength (kind of like a cell phone). Definitely no terrestrial signal in my area. You can also see if anything is actually buffered by going into timesync. I do notice that it does not always buffer right away. Sometimes it takes 20-30 seconds to get just a few seconds buffered. Which makes sense with varying signal levels. Can't speak to Pandora, but signal level an amount buffered would also seem to fit.
The old system (2011) had three bars on the right side of the screen which indicated buffer / signal strength. I was always at 2-3.

The 2013 appears to have a weaker antenna and the buffer takes longer.

Clear days are definitely better for the satellite signal - even moreso than any other car I've owned (I've had about 8 cars with factory-installed XM or Sirius).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 AM
adv12 adv12 is offline
Registered User
Location: Cypress
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2012 535i
The same thing is happening to me, its on all audio source, radio, cd, and ipod. For me i notice it often at the stop light when ASS is turned on. I've taken it to the dealer several times and they say there is no fault code so they will not work on it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv12 View Post
The same thing is happening to me, its on all audio source, radio, cd, and ipod. For me i notice it often at the stop light when ASS is turned on. I've taken it to the dealer several times and they say there is no fault code so they will not work on it.
Tell them to get off of their lazy asses and fix it.

There is what I believe to be a software/buffering issue, OR a hardware issue related to the harddrive.

My 2011 never cut out.

My 2013 has "no signal" via satellite on a regular basis - and the cut-out issue across sources.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 AM
psu1983 psu1983 is offline
Registered User
Location: Harrisburg, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive
Same issue in my new 535i

I've had my car for 2 weeks now, and I'm experiencing the brief cut-out with all input sources (ipod, Satellite Radio & FM radio). I've spoken with dealer about it, and they're going to check it out when I take the car in to get windows tinted. Will post update with anything found/repaired.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-11-2013, 03:23 PM
adv12 adv12 is offline
Registered User
Location: Cypress
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Please let us know what they say... i think it has something to do with the auto start stop... i've notice it the most when the auto start stop is turned on.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Mobileum Mobileum is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norway
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 200
Mein Auto: 520d f10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv12 View Post
Please let us know what they say... i think it has something to do with the auto start stop... i've notice it the most when the auto start stop is turned on.
No ASS in my car (2011), and I got the same problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms