Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv12 View Post
The same thing is happening to me, its on all audio source, radio, cd, and ipod. For me i notice it often at the stop light when ASS is turned on. I've taken it to the dealer several times and they say there is no fault code so they will not work on it.
I have it too. All audio sources. Comes and goes. Happening since I bought the car 3 months ago. Very annoying but not enough to waste time going back to dealer.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw550newbie View Post
I have it too. All audio sources. Comes and goes. Happening since I bought the car 3 months ago. Very annoying but not enough to waste time going back to dealer.
Same. It had been gone a little while and has come back, on all sources. Went out several times this weekend. No idea what's up but I'm not going to bother with it because I'm sure it'll be impossible to reproduce at a dealer...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando95 View Post
Same. It had been gone a little while and has come back, on all sources. Went out several times this weekend. No idea what's up but I'm not going to bother with it because I'm sure it'll be impossible to reproduce at a dealer...
I have a video if anyone needs it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
No ASS in my car (2011), and I got the same problem.
Uh oh - that worries me... ASS causes mine to drop out nearly 100% of the time.

Could be a voltage/battery problem.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
My car hasn't done it since I had it coded to have ASS off at all times.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i
Just purchased a 528i last week and my stereo is cutting out/skipping from all sources. It happens at random times while driving or stopped. I dropped it off at the dealership today - we will see if they are able to repair???
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo1 View Post
Just purchased a 528i last week and my stereo is cutting out/skipping from all sources. It happens at random times while driving or stopped. I dropped it off at the dealership today - we will see if they are able to repair???
Keep us posted.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
OK - the dealership contacted me last Friday and requested that I come in and do a test drive with a technician because they were unable to duplicate the problem and no codes had been thrown. My first thought was, "Great - It wont do it while on the test drive." Well - luckily about 10min into the test drive it began skipping using my bluetooth connection to my iPhone. The technician said he had never experienced it before. I was amazed that it actually happened while the tech was in the car because it happens so randomly. Anyhow - they are going to begin swapping out the entire radio to see if that will fix the problem. I am really worried this will turn into a long drawn out repair....
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I am really worried this will turn into a long drawn out repair....
Me too.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 PM

I took delivery of my 2013 535i with standard audio over the weekend. I've already noticed audio dropouts with my iPhone as the source connected via USB. Until reading this thread I'd assumed this was a glitch between the iPhone and the car or in the actual audio file. I haven't correlated it to the auto stop/start feature but will keep a watch on that.

I activated the SiriusXM today so I'll be on the lookout for any dropouts there as well as in the FM radio.

The truly odd thing is that the 2004 530i that I sold last Friday started having a strange audio dropout issue a few months ago on all audio sources. It was more prevalent on cooler mornings so it seemed to be a "warm-up" issue that I attributed to the age of the car. The audio would drop for 2-3 seconds a half-dozen times or so over the span of a minute then perform normally. It would be a truly odd coincidence if a nearly 10-year newer model is having a similar audio issue.

If it persists I'll certainly take the car back to the dealer since it's got all of 150 miles on it. I'll report back here.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Just had my car in for service.

They updated software and believed that it would be the solution.

On the drive home, it was worse.

Last edited by lindros2; 05-28-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
Help need on my audio "cut out"

Guys, hammer those dealers until they solve your problems!

There is no way audio should cut out using wired USB unless its a power interruption.

For wireless disconnects there can be many reasons, either signal level too low by physical obstruction from the terrestrial signal eg. inside garage or under bridge, but could also be radio interference if Bluetooth streaming or Internet/pandora via cellular.

Other thing that comes to mind is faulty traffic info bulletins module, that if enabled, interrupt audio. Do you guys have this on the US radio? It's enabled with the TP button. If faulty, it could have similar symptoms - muting the audio source but not proving the alternative audio message. Same with the nav but you probably would have noticed if your nav is not providing voice directions..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 PM

The interruption - which sounds like a cd skipping - happens from all audio sources (cd, am, fm, bluetooth connection to iphone, usb). It occurs at random times - 1 min after starting vehicle, 5 min into drive or 45 min into drive. Once it happens - it will continue more increasingly. I do not have traffic updates turned on nor am I losing any type of signal (bluetooth, sirius, etc). The dealership called again late this afternoon saying that it continues to happen and they cannot determine the cause. It's very frustrating since I just leased the vehicle May 14th and have only driven it a total of 2 days. I've already contacted BMW of North America requesting a new vehicle but have not been given an answer as of yet. What are my chances of them swapping me into another vehicle - slim to none???

Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d

I think they need multiple fix attempts to fail before BMW NA gets involved to try satisfying the customer.

I can understand your frustration, I would feel the same especially with a new vehicle.

Hopefully this is not a wide-spread new development. I wonder if there is a recent revision to the head unit.

Quote:
The interruption - which sounds like a cd skipping - happens from all audio sources (cd, am, fm, bluetooth connection to iphone, usb). It occurs at random times - 1 min after starting vehicle, 5 min into drive or 45 min into drive. Once it happens - it will continue more increasingly. I do not have traffic updates turned on nor am I losing any type of signal (bluetooth, sirius, etc). The dealership called again late this afternoon saying that it continues to happen and they cannot determine the cause. It's very frustrating since I just leased the vehicle May 14th and have only driven it a total of 2 days. I've already contacted BMW of North America requesting a new vehicle but have not been given an answer as of yet. What are my chances of them swapping me into another vehicle - slim to none???

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM

It just keeps getting better and better... The dealership that has our vehicle contacted us this afternoon and asked if we would drop off one of our cell phones for the afternoon??? Really - Are you serious??? Would anyone on here just drop off their personal cell phone for a day to a dealership? I don't know about anyone else - but I use my phone all day for business and it has a great deal of private information on it... I am just blwon away by this whole thing. The cell phone has nothing to do with it - it does it FROM ALL SOURCES! Unbeleivable! This is my second BMW and it may be my last! - We have already done a ride along with a technician showing him the audio issues and he witnessed the audio cut-out. They had said they were going to swap out the entire radio but when I asked the service writer he had no clue if they actually did? I have left messages with the GM and BMWNA and I'm not sure if any of them really care - because they sure don't act like it. I am beyond dissapointed with my experience and would return the car if I could. It started with replacing the iDrive the day after we purchased the vehicle - now the audio cut-out and unfortunately I am sure I will be dealing with issues like this throughout the remaining 35 months of this lease!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
It just keeps getting better and better... The dealership that has our vehicle contacted us this afternoon and asked if we would drop off one of our cell phones for the afternoon??? Really - Are you serious???
Are they experiencing the audio cut out without your cell phone in the car?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Are they experiencing the audio cut out without your cell phone in the car?
Mine occurs with phone Bluetooth off, which is just like "phone not in car."
Old 05-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
So far, I read this thread and was glad it didn't apply to my car. But just yesterday I did witness it for a couple of times - playing the music from my iPhone 5 in its cradle!

Interestingly, earlier that morning I performed my ConnectedDrive services update on the Internet through the same iPhone... So if it is a virus, it needed 5 months to travel from the US to Poland,and infect my 528xi iDrive

Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM

I have experienced it with the phone not in the vehicle - and the message yesterday from them was that the audio was still cutting out and they have not found a solution... So my translation is that they have been experiencing the same cut-out without my cell phone not in there posession - but who reall knows at this point. I asked the service writer why they would need our phone for the entire afternoon and he explained that he wanted to make sure that the lastest iphone software was installed. I pulled up the settings menu on my iphone and showed him it was the latest update. He said he would try it with his iphone then. He said it could be interferring with the entire vehicle. If thats the case - then I dont want it! It doesn't interfere with my Toyota Tundra and it didn't interfere with my 2011 328i.

Last edited by Benzo1; 05-29-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 05-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Don't let them pin it on the iPhone bluetooth.

I still have this going on every day or two, and it goes on with ALL sources. Satellite. FM. iPhone over Bluetooth. Android over Bluetooth. iPod plugged in via USB (this one was also doing it in my previous vehicle, I THINK but I'm not sure). I believe it also happened with iPhone plugged in via USB, but not positive.

It happens on Satellite with a full signal, so I don't think it's a signal issue there.

Annoying, to say the least. A car this expensive shouldn't do this crap...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Bump - anyone else?

this is turning into a lengthy disaster.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
This thread is interesting, because it happens on my wifes active hybrid 5 as well. Audio streaming is basically not usable over bluetooth. Her car has the NBT (new nav). I also have a 2013 335i which has the older CiC nav, which does NOT do this. I have also performed the software updates that upgrade bluetooth as well.

Its does it much less when cabled, but still does it.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 AM

Bring your car in and open a case.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Bring your car in and open a case.
I considered it, but my wife had an iPod classic where all of our music lives, that lives in her car (its never removed). She uses that to listen to music almost exclusively, and it happens there very infrequently (I have heard it only once using while I was riding with her).

Like I mentioned, audio over bluetooth is just about unusable, even after performing the software update, both on her galaxy nexus, and my iphone 4s. I am not 100 percent positive our issue is the same as reported here, but want to follow this thread to see if there is any resolution for others.

If it gets worse, I will probably take it in.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 AM

Cut-outs on all sources

I've been keeping a watch out for any audio cutouts in my now 3-week old 535i. A few days ago the audio cutout on every source several times.

The typical scenario is that the cutouts seem to come in clusters of 4-5, about .25 - .5 seconds each, randomly spaced over the course of 1-2 minutes. The scenarios:

1. Car in motion, with my iPhone 4S connected via the USB cable, streaming music from it, on a song that has no skips or dead spots.

2. At a stop light with auto-stop engaged and the engine off, the FM radio dropped out several times on a local (high-power, strong) station.

3. Car in motion at highway speed, SiriusXM dropped out several times with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky.

4. At a stop light with auto-stop manually disengaged, engine idling, iPhone jacked-in via USB, a known good song dropped out 3-4 times.

I haven't tried the in-dash CD player yet but am adding it to the list to test.

With the car parked, engine off, electrics turned on via the start button, I have NOT noticed a dropout on any source. I obviously haven't tested this for anywhere near the same number of hours I've driven the car but will try to collect some more data to see if the problem correlates with the engine running or other systems turned on.

Someone mentioned the traffic alerts feature possibly causing interrupts but with no messaging. I'll try turning them on and off to see if there's any correlation with the dropouts.

My wife actually noticed the audio dropout the other day while she was riding in the passenger seat, so I know it's not just me.

Two things I'm going to do:

1. Setup my Go Pro camera in the car to try to capture the dropouts when they occur.
2. As soon as I get some video and audio of the problem, present myself to the dealer, along with a link to this forum.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Chris