Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
When the road sign said 100km to Munich, I was able to look over to Mrs D tell her we'll be back at the rental apartment within a half hour. She rolled her eyes, but even accounting for the non-Autobahn surface roads in Munich, I still made it in a half hour. Well ... that's exciting to me.

Even though I had to roll up the windows around 135mph, doing 155mph in a convertible with the top down is another type of thrilling experience.
Very , very cool....

Retired:
2013 550ix
2009 535i
2007 335i
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Sounds worth it to me I could pay $585 all day.
If I could pay $585 all day I'd be leasing an Aventador.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
If I could pay $585 all day I'd be leasing an Aventador.
Buyings actually cheaper from what I looked at.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
When the road sign said 100km to Munich, I was able to look over to Mrs D tell her we'll be back at the rental apartment within a half hour. She rolled her eyes, but even accounting for the non-Autobahn surface roads in Munich, I still made it in a half hour. Well ... that's exciting to me.

Even though I had to roll up the windows around 135mph, doing 155mph in a convertible with the top down is another type of thrilling experience.
Dunderhi, I dig THAT. I was enjoying it immensely as well because there was traffic around me and the road was not straight and flat. It is thrilling to pass those trucks doing 55 at almost 100 mph speed difference, it is thrilling to keep your eyes peeled for any suspicious move from the cars on your right and be ready to hit brakes very hard, it is thrilling to hit a large radius corner but where you still cannot see the exit at speed that high. I dig it.

The pictures some guys here posted are depicting completely straight and flat roads without any cars on them. So, you reach 140 mph in, say, 15 seconds and then ... what exactly? I mean, your body cannot tell a difference at that point whether you are doing 40 mph or 140 mph, without any g forces acting on it it feels exactly the same. Again, at least to myself. I see it as roller coaster - it's not fun without twists and turns, brutal acceleration and deceleration. A roller coaster doing constant 200 mph for 10+ miles would be a bore. As a matter of fact it is, it's called TGV

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I did that too

I don't think I ever actually answered probably 140 holding an iphone to take a picture, probably 155 actually driving
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
The pictures some guys here posted are depicting completely straight and flat roads without any cars on them. So, you reach 140 mph in, say, 15 seconds and then ... what exactly?
Well basically, I think those are the only places to SAFELY drive like a shyteheel unless you want to fly by a bunch of child filled SUV's driven by a paxil/clonazepam addled soccer moms twiddling on their iphones furtively trying to update their Facebook status. No thanks.

Quote:
I mean, your body cannot tell a difference at that point whether you are doing 40 mph or 140 mph, without any g forces acting on it it feels exactly the same. Again, at least to myself. I see it as roller coaster - it's not fun without twists and turns, brutal acceleration and deceleration.
Go to a HPDE or Track day, you can drive very aggressively and do evasion maneuvers, etc and it's great fun and you will push your car very hard. It's really the only way beyond some hill carving, etc - but then again that just gets you tickets. It's also doubtful you can do many 100-0 emergency lock up stops on the highway without some sort of "intervention" either.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 04-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Dunderhi, I dig THAT. I was enjoying it immensely as well because there was traffic around me and the road was not straight and flat. It is thrilling to pass those trucks doing 55 at almost 100 mph speed difference, it is thrilling to keep your eyes peeled for any suspicious move from the cars on your right and be ready to hit brakes very hard, it is thrilling to hit a large radius corner but where you still cannot see the exit at speed that high. I dig it.

The pictures some guys here posted are depicting completely straight and flat roads without any cars on them. So, you reach 140 mph in, say, 15 seconds and then ... what exactly? I mean, your body cannot tell a difference at that point whether you are doing 40 mph or 140 mph, without any g forces acting on it it feels exactly the same. Again, at least to myself. I see it as roller coaster - it's not fun without twists and turns, brutal acceleration and deceleration. A roller coaster doing constant 200 mph for 10+ miles would be a bore. As a matter of fact it is, it's called TGV
I will have to admit I did have more fun driving the SL in a national forest north of Stuttgart. I encountered a number sport bikes who by their speeds led me to believe there were no speed limits. So, it was 100-120mph at the limits of adhesion racing through the twisties on two lane mountain roads. I finally had to break off from the bikes to take a nature break at a scenic view spot. After we hit the road, we encountered the bikers again in small town and where given approving nods. At that point Mrs. D forgave me for my high speed driving antics.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
You can go that fast on roads with some curves (first hand knowledge here ) as the roads are designed to support it.

But to your point - it ceases being exciting, becomes stressful but also a bit "normal" and enables you to cover tremendous distance quickly. On our first ED (E90 335), my wife fell asleep on the A7 while I was in cruise control at 135 mph. After a full day of driving the Romantische Straße, we covered roughly the same distance back to our hotel in 90 minutes.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
You can go that fast on roads with some curves (first hand knowledge here ) as the roads are designed to support it.

But to your point - it ceases being exciting, becomes stressful but also a bit "normal" and enables you to cover tremendous distance quickly. On our first ED (E90 335), my wife fell asleep on the A7 while I was in cruise control at 135 mph. After a full day of driving the Romantische Straße, we covered roughly the same distance back to our hotel in 90 minutes.
I did Columbus to DC (was there for a concert) in under 5 hours Might have broken the 4 hour mark had their not been so many pigs on the turn pike this was during my I don't need seat belts phase too.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix 2013
I have been reading with great interest the number of different views of what speed does for or not, and where one should or should not try out their mischievous side; and what road one likes or thinks is the best for him or her for people who drive high performance cars, or thought to be high performance. for those of you who want to experience what I think is the ultimate thrill for speed is driving in the silver state classic challenge. Nevada highway 318 is shut down for a day for all comers to test their skills and car on a 90 mile section of road between Lund and Hiko, NV, the record is 207 miles per hour. come to Nevada and try it out if you really want to try your skills.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
So, average for the 90 mile run is 207?

Damn, i'm not in contention!

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnbeer View Post
I have been reading with great interest the number of different views of what speed does for or not, and where one should or should not try out their mischievous side; and what road one likes or thinks is the best for him or her for people who drive high performance cars, or thought to be high performance. for those of you who want to experience what I think is the ultimate thrill for speed is driving in the silver state classic challenge. Nevada highway 318 is shut down for a day for all comers to test their skills and car on a 90 mile section of road between Lund and Hiko, NV, the record is 207 miles per hour. come to Nevada and try it out if you really want to try your skills.
That sounds really cool!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
So, average for the 90 mile run is 207?

Damn, i'm not in contention!
I don't think that its the average, rather the fastest anyone has gone.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I commented on a similar thread a couple years ago and received a warning:

By posting on here with "I did such-and-such speed" - outside of unrestricted speed zones and/or race courses - you are exposing yourself and the site to bad things.

All it takes is some angry person to send a post to a cop somewhere, and the subpoenas start flying.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post

By posting on here with "I did such-and-such speed" - outside of unrestricted speed zones and/or race courses - you are exposing yourself and the site to bad things.

All it takes is some angry person to send a post to a cop somewhere, and the subpoenas start flying.
Subpoenas for what - something someone wrote on the INTERNET...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
If you provide enough details people will find you.

Your IP is logged, dude. Not hard to track you down.

If you post it, it's an admission of guilt.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If you provide enough details people will find you.

Your IP is logged, dude. Not hard to track you down.

If you post it, it's an admission of guilt.
Yes IP is logged - no its not an admission of guilt. If that were true have the people on the internet would be arrested... That's just silly.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 550ix 2013
for clarification, Guinness world records, "the worlds fastest road race is the silver state classic challenge, with a record average speed of 207.78 mph achieved by chuck shafer and gary bockman on may 21, 2000." also from Guinness world records, "the highest speed ever reached on a public highway during a legal racing event is 350.12 kmh (217.5570 mph) by jim peruto (USA) , during the 2012 Nevada open road challenge, on a 145 km (90 mile) stretch of route 318, Nevada, USA on 20 may 2012." yippy ki yay
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Yesterday I picked up a rental requesting an F10, but they gave me a Audi A6. :-(

So while it doesn't meet the theme of the thread, I got up to 140 mph (225 kmh). The longest stretched I maintained that speed was somewhere between Stuttgart and Singen after the tunnel on Sunday morning when no trucks were out.

Funnily enough, in the evening it took longer and I got worse gas mileage because the trucks were allowed back on the roads and foreign plates and 3 letter plates were left lane hogging (which is annoying because it's illegal to undertake unlike the US).

The best part was I passed a police van on one of the unrestricted sections like it was standing still.

The worst part was an older E-class left lane hogging in the evening during an unrestricted section. I flashed my lights once and that jerk never moved. He was going 150 kmh and I wanted to go at least 180 kmh. I don't think he knew what he was doing because he speeded through roadworks (limits are usually 120 kmh or lower - I would slow down to 130 and move right; he kept his speed at 150) and undertook people.

Last edited by WaxComb; 04-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnbeer View Post
Wow, I have never heard of this! I am intrigued. Just talked to my co-worker who, apparently, knows all about it and has buddies who have done it and loved it.

They have team challenge (http://www.sscc.us/team_challenge.aspx). Would be fun to put a team together of F10 festers!

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
It depends if your casually talking about it or using the site as a launch pad to brag.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
It depends if your casually talking about it or using the site as a launch pad to brag.
I did Warp 3 on I95 south-bound when I passed through a speed trap, but his radar registered me as going north-bound, so the trooper went the wrong direction. Hopefully, I won't get in trouble for admitting my transgression.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:

I've been into fast motorcycles for many years - road raced them in the early '80s. A few weeks ago I bought a new Ducati Panigale. The other day I accelerated basically as hard as I could without flipping it from about a 25mph roll to 140 (top of second gear got a little "exciting" as it decided to come up a little more than I expected). 140 is no big deal to me on motorcycles, but my previous fastest bike, while very fast by car standards, is not nearly the rush the Ducati is.

I guess my point is that I agree with you! BTW, tests on the bike show 1/4 mile more or less in the high nines at about 145mph trap speed.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I agree. No way are you going to get a subpoena for posting something on the internet. The only way I can remotely see any action taking place is if there were a serious accident and they were trying to find the person who caused it.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
I only go 55mph. Top Gear style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	372705  

Current:
14 smart electric drive
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884